Midnight buffet?

3 minutes ago, plasticmaster said:

I sailed on Harmony last week.  This was my first cruise in 15 years.  I remember midnight buffets with beautiful ice sculptures from cruises 15 and 20 years ago (Majesty and Explorer).  They did not have the midnight buffet on Harmony. Is this something that cruises don't do anymore?  Just wondering. 

I think they went the way of The Love Boat!

We sailed on Rhapsody back in 2004 and they did the ice sculptures. I remember thinking "how on earth did they find the time to do the ice with all the cooking and cleaning they do" so I'm thinking the crew wasn't  too unhappy when it faded out....

1 hour ago, plasticmaster said:

I sailed on Harmony last week.  This was my first cruise in 15 years.  I remember midnight buffets with beautiful ice sculptures from cruises 15 and 20 years ago (Majesty and Explorer).  They did not have the midnight buffet on Harmony. Is this something that cruises don't do anymore?  Just wondering. 

Like @rtread said in 2004, we had a buffet on the Voyager, which had the ice sculptures.  My wife claims there was a late buffet in the Med in 2011 (Brilliance of the Seas), and on a New Year's sailing from Baltimore about 2013 (Grandeur), there was a small chocolate buffet in the Centrum -- the line went down the starboard hallway all the way to the bow.  Since then we haven't seen anything remotely similar.  So as everyone else has stated, the late buffets seem to have disappeared.

3 hours ago, ChessE4 said:

Like @rtread said in 2004, we had a buffet on the Voyager, which had the ice sculptures.  My wife claims there was a late buffet in the Med in 2011 (Brilliance of the Seas), and on a New Year's sailing from Baltimore about 2013 (Grandeur), there was a small chocolate buffet in the Centrum -- the line went down the starboard hallway all the way to the bow.  Since then we haven't seen anything remotely similar.  So as everyone else has stated, the late buffets seem to have disappeared.

But Sorrentos is open late. Isn't that just as good as a midnight buffet? /sarc

5 minutes ago, ChessE4 said:

Yes, one thing we've got to admit, we don't go hungry...

Just got off the Adventure.  We typically always eat late.  Our earliest dining was the Chef's table.  We traveled with my husbands family, 1st time cruising for some, but for all 1st time with Royal, except us.  At 6 on the 1st night I went up to the WJ and made what Italians call an anti pasta plate to eat on the balcony while we got ready, our cabins were connected, the next thing I know is the plate I made for the 2 of us was being devoured by his siblings.  They all asked where did you get this?  WJ!  

Big mistake on my part because for the next 7 nights I became the waitress.  Lesson learned was I would make my late night sandwiches in the WJ, plus the desserts on a separate plate and put it in the fridge b4 they showed up.  (Nothing like a Prosciutto with cheese sandwich at midnight with a small bowl of pasta salad)  

One time I was on the elevator (crowded) and passengers remarked that are you having dinner in your cabin since I had 2 plates.  I said, no.  This plate is for cocktail hr on our balcony, and this 1 is for midnight so I don't have to wait in line at Sorrentos with their minimal selection.  All of them were 1st time cruisers, and 1 turned to me and said, OMG you HAVE to be a veteran, because nobody that is a 1st timer would think to do that.

Funny thing is we got back so tired and still full that I usually never ate what I brought back for us alone.  Usually is the key word.  I HIGHLY recommend that the night they have Mongolian, go and get it.  To me left over cold Chinese food is great.  I converted it from the plate to 2 bowls and placed it in the fridge.  My husband and I came back to the room @ midnight opened the fridge, went on the deck and ate it.  He made me laugh because he said I love you soooo much.  My response was WHY, thinking it had something to do with the ambiance of the moon and the ocean.  NOPE..  His answer was because only you could think 6 hrs ahead of time to know exactly what would make this trip even better...cold lomein to absorb all this alcohol.  

@Zacharius  I tried to write antipasti but auto correct just kept changing it, so I decided to leave it alone.  Even now it keeps placing the red squiggly line.  

I laugh because we live in VA, but NJ/NY raised.  Proscuitto to us is pronounced proscuitte ---no O.  Calamari is pronounced Calamar, no I. Mannicotti, is mannicott, no I, and they are crepe shells. There is no such thing as sauce, it is gravy.  If you are a true Italian, you know that meatballs are made with multiple types of ground meat.  A true parmigiana is done on lone heat for hrs.  Christmas eve is 7 fishes.  You are also a pro at stuffed artichokes.

My husband and I are unique.  He is 50% Italian.  His mom was jewish.  I am 50% polish.  My kids were raised with all 3.  Lox and cream cheese smeared on an everything bagel or bialy is heaven for breakfast.  Kielbasa and sauerkraut for dinner on a summer night is perfection.  OBTW in the Polish world kielbasa is  actually called in my family kielbas.  My Mom is 100% polish, her folks were 1st generation.  Manicotti, bresciole, sausage and meatballs that has stewed for a day in the gravy makes them smile until that manicotti filled with 4 different cheeses hits their stomach like a 10 lb weight.

During the fall I do not make dinner on Sunday.  Instead, my coffee table is filled with sopressetto, prosciuitto, salami, cheese, olives, and home made focaccia, stuffed artichokes, and of course balsamic and olive oil while we watch football.  

Not trying to be offensive.  Just saying that most people that don't have that background will pronounce it in a  certain way, which as a society we accept as the norm.

Back on topic.

4 hours ago, Pima1988 said:

@Zacharius  I tried to write antipasti but auto correct just kept changing it, so I decided to leave it alone.  Even now it keeps placing the red squiggly line.  

I laugh because we live in VA, but NJ/NY raised.  Proscuitto to us is pronounced proscuitte ---no O.  Calamari is pronounced Calamar, no I. Mannicotti, is mannicott, no I, and they are crepe shells. There is no such thing as sauce, it is gravy.  If you are a true Italian, you know that meatballs are made with multiple types of ground meat.  A true parmigiana is done on lone heat for hrs.  Christmas eve is 7 fishes.  You are also a pro at stuffed artichokes.

My husband and I are unique.  He is 50% Italian.  His mom was jewish.  I am 50% polish.  My kids were raised with all 3.  Lox and cream cheese smeared on an everything bagel or bialy is heaven for breakfast.  Kielbasa and sauerkraut for dinner on a summer night is perfection.  OBTW in the Polish world kielbasa is  actually called in my family kielbas.  My Mom is 100% polish, her folks were 1st generation.  Manicotti, bresciole, sausage and meatballs that has stewed for a day in the gravy makes them smile until that manicotti filled with 4 different cheeses hits their stomach like a 10 lb weight.

During the fall I do not make dinner on Sunday.  Instead, my coffee table is filled with sopressetto, prosciuitto, salami, cheese, olives, and home made focaccia, stuffed artichokes, and of course balsamic and olive oil while we watch football.  

Not trying to be offensive.  Just saying that most people that don't have that background will pronounce it in a  certain way, which as a society we accept as the norm.

Back on topic.

Thanks for the cultural note!  Not to disparage other cruise lines, but I saw a video from another line with a coffee card that spelled out "cappuccinos" instead of "cappuccini".  Now my Italian is really weak, but even I took notice....