How do you stand the wait??

Total first world problem here, but I'm dying waiting out the 620+ days I have before my next cruise in April, 2021.  My last cruise that we took 3 months ago was booked and planned in about 9 months, which was more mentally doable for me.  We can't afford to go again for a couple more years, but we know when we can go with our kids' school schedules, so I was able to take advantage of the good rates by booking this early.  But I don't know what to do with myself to make the time go faster.  I'm researching the ship and ports online all the time, but I can't book any shore excursions or make any real plans this far out, which I'd probably change 10 times between now and then anyway.  Even my wedding 20 years ago was planned in a shorter time than this (about 18 months) and I'm going crazy waiting.  I'm mostly just venting, but if you have any coping mechanisms to suggest other than booking more cruises in the middle, I'm all ears. :42_confused:  BTW, we'll be on the Freedom ABC Islands/St. Maarten cruise then. :5_smiley:

13 minutes ago, Brobbins246 said:

Total first world problem here, but I'm dying waiting out the 620+ days I have before my next cruise in April, 2021.  My last cruise that we took 3 months ago was booked and planned in about 9 months, which was more mentally doable for me.  We can't afford to go again for a couple more years, but we know when we can go with our kids' school schedules, so I was able to take advantage of the good rates by booking this early.  But I don't know what to do with myself to make the time go faster.  I'm researching the ship and ports online all the time, but I can't book any shore excursions or make any real plans this far out, which I'd probably change 10 times between now and then anyway.  Even my wedding 20 years ago was planned in a shorter time than this (about 18 months) and I'm going crazy waiting.  I'm mostly just venting, but if you have any coping mechanisms to suggest other than booking more cruises in the middle, I'm all ears. :42_confused:  BTW, we'll be on the Freedom ABC Islands/St. Maarten cruise then. :5_smiley:

One of the things I do in advance of a cruise is study a foreign language, like French for St Martin (hoping for an excursion to that side of the island) and Spanish for San Juan or Mexico, etc.  It keeps me busy.   Another thing I do is study the books on tropical fish in hopes of going snorkeling.... Best of luck on your preparations!

2 hours ago, ChessE4 said:

One of the things I do in advance of a cruise is study a foreign language, like French for St Martin (hoping for an excursion to that side of the island) and Spanish for San Juan or Mexico, etc.  It keeps me busy.   Another thing I do is study the books on tropical fish in hopes of going snorkeling.... Best of luck on your preparations!

Yes!  Not long after I posted this, I thought about the foreign language idea.  I remember some French from high school but could definitely use a refresher.  Even more ambitious, I could learn Dutch for the other side of St. Maarten and the ABC islands!

That's a long time...I find anything  over a year is too far out!...usually we try to have something every 6-12 mths to look forward to..makes it manageable..lol..

I spend lots of time here and on other cruise sites....videos......travel sites.....it all helps..

But over 600 days..I couldn't do that without at least 2-3 in between to look forward too....

good luck!

15 minutes ago, sk8erguy1978 said:

Have a garage sale to get extra cash for a short sailing! 

Haha. We've done that a few times. Usually make between $200 & $500 and get rid of a lot of unwanted stuff. Funniest one ever was when 2 older women were arguing over who would get a 50 cents toilet bowl brush!! ?(No, it had not been used.)

On 7/24/2019 at 12:43 PM, Skid said:

Well, it's not a cruise and it's not the color of the Caribbean, but it sure helps! We are only about a half hour away and are here now. Like I've said before, do not judge NJ by the turnpike!

20190724_123504.thumb.jpg.d0618e2a78b26bbc4ce77ca667072f50.jpg

Well today we got ambitious and traveled 85 miles further south than the beach above to the very edge of the state..Cape May, NJ. It's a few degrees cooler and enough breeze for folks to keep kites going. This is one of our favorite towns. Cute shops, restaurants, bed and breakfasts, hotels, etc. 

20190730_134833.thumb.jpg.f367d535677559637c943b8072904a7e.jpg

20190730_144915.thumb.jpg.e3c7847ae5a6d56faa0c0c07542edf31.jpg

Edited by Skid
Forgot to attach the pictures

@CrimsonCruiser & @MelKaps  Welcome to the RCB forums!

@Brobbins246  We booked a Nov 2020 cruise [460 days away] months ago.  Before our Jun Anthem cruise.  And we just YOLO booked the Anthem this Oct [86 days out].  I am still trying to figure out how to pay for it!  Also considering trying to squeeze in the Oasis trip out of NJ next May.  If booking a cruise doesn't work for you (I understand) then all of the other non-cruise recommendations above are good substitutes.  As you probably know better than I, there is a lot to learn here on the RCB and it's a great pastime.

I have an unusual (and somewhat first world problem) solution to our wait.

We are 108 days away from our sailing (first RC cruise too) and to be honest, its the least prepared that i will ever be for a cruise/holiday. (that said.... I am an over preparer for holidays).

My wife and I are in the middle of building a new house and whilst its under construction, we are living with my Mother In Law!!!  So the cruise was designed for us to have 2 weeks away from living at the in-laws in the middle of construction.  The problem is:  the house is going to be finished about 3 months ahead of schedule and we will be moving in BEFORE the cruise.

So i am spending my time planning our move in activities and will then use the cruise to just sleep off the hectic last few months.

In short: If you want to stand the wait for the cruise.... build a new house! hahahaha! (not the cheapest way around the situation though)

5 minutes ago, Phillo said:

I have an unusual (and somewhat first world problem) solution to our wait.

We are 108 days away from our sailing (first RC cruise too) and to be honest, its the least prepared that i will ever be for a cruise/holiday. (that said.... I am an over preparer for holidays).

My wife and I are in the middle of building a new house and whilst its under construction, we are living with my Mother In Law!!!  So the cruise was designed for us to have 2 weeks away from living at the in-laws in the middle of construction.  The problem is:  the house is going to be finished about 3 months ahead of schedule and we will be moving in BEFORE the cruise.

So i am spending my time planning our move in activities and will then use the cruise to just sleep off the hectic last few months.

In short: If you want to stand the wait for the cruise.... build a new house! hahahaha! (not the cheapest way around the situation though)

Congratulations !  No way in the world a new build in the US would be done 3 months ahead of schedule.  ??

Enjoy your distraction and relaxing cruise.

4 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Congratulations !  No way in the world a new build in the US would be done 3 months ahead of schedule.  ??

Enjoy your distraction and relaxing cruise.

To be honest....  we had low expectations.

Also... the Australian property market finally fell through its backside over the last year (we avoided the GFC downturn).  So contractors are looking for work and are quicker to get jobs done.

As for the cruise.  Well...i am a little bit excited.  On top of the cruise itself - A repositioning cruise with a LOT of sea days, my wife and I also were able to get business class airfares from Australia to Singapore to join the cruise (thanks Frequent Flyer points).  so its going to be great! ?