Disappointed our San Juan stop was canceled, but understand

Just got off Harmony of the Seas on Sunday. Our stop at San Juan was canceled due to protests while we could visually see Puerto Rico from the ship. This was the correct decision. However, we were very disappointed that we did not stop anywhere else instead, especially after learning another ship was rerouted to Tortola. We proceeded very slowly to the next stop, St. Martin. It would have been nice to use the remaining 2 sea days to get in another stop. Therefore, our 7 night cruise had 2 stops and 4 sea days. Don't get me wrong, the ship is beautiful and we had a wonderful time.  I just wish we could have gotten in another stop. Again, it was right decision, but disappointed we couldn't go anywhere else.  Does anyone know why we did not call at a different port?

13 minutes ago, plasticmaster said:

Just got off Harmony of the Seas on Sunday. Our stop at San Juan was canceled due to protests while we could visually see Puerto Rico from the ship. This was the correct decision. However, we were very disappointed that we did not stop anywhere else instead, especially after learning another ship was rerouted to Tortola. We proceeded very slowly to the next stop, St. Martin. It would have been nice to use the remaining 2 sea days to get in another stop. Therefore, our 7 night cruise had 2 stops and 4 sea days. Don't get me wrong, the ship is beautiful and we had a wonderful time.  I just wish we could have gotten in another stop. Again, it was right decision, but disappointed we couldn't go anywhere else.  Does anyone know why we did not call at a different port?

What ship went to Tortola?  Given the size of Harmony, I wonder if it could fit in that port since I've never seen an Oasis class have Tortola as a port.  It also may be that Tortola cannot or does not care to handle as many visitors as one Oasis class ship would bring.

Hope this Is all cleared up before Nov!.....I am sure San Juan does as well as they are losing a lot of money.....article I read its about $400,000 per ship in fees and revenue they miss out on...and while Harmony is a great ship...I would be somewhat disappointed with 2 stops on a 7 day cruise as well...so hopefully this ends sooner than later..for everyone involved!

2 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

Hope this Is all cleared up before Nov!.....I am sure San Juan does as well as they are losing a lot of money.....article I read its about $400,000 per ship in fees and revenue they miss out on...and while Harmony is a great ship...I would be somewhat disappointed with 2 stops on a 7 day cruise as well...so hopefully this ends sooner than later..for everyone involved!

I think with Harmony being so big it is probably difficult to schedule a last minute port for her without messing up the rest of the itinerary/schedule.

I was on this sailing as well.  Oasis class ships have a limited number of options for ports.  

It was simple math.  Time vs. Distance vs. Speed simply would not allow for any other option, either before St. Maarten or after.  

10 minutes ago, PRC said:

I was on this sailing as well.  Oasis class ships have a limited number of options for ports.  

It was simple math.  Time vs. Distance vs. Speed simply would not allow for any other option, either before St. Maarten or after.  

There were two scheduled sea days between St. Martin and Port Canaveral. What about St. Thomas, the day after St. Martin. Or 2 days in St. Martin since no cruise ship was scheduled to be there the next day. Or what about Coco Cay or Nassau instead of last sea day?  It seems like any of those could have us back to Port Canaveral in time.  It was still a wonderful cruise,  just puzzling to me.

5 minutes ago, plasticmaster said:

There were two scheduled sea days between St. Martin and Port Canaveral. What about St. Thomas, the day after St. Martin. Or 2 days in St. Martin since no cruise ship was scheduled to be there the next day. Or what about Coco Cay or Nassau instead of last sea day?  It seems like any of those could have us back to Port Canaveral in time.  It was still a wonderful cruise,  just puzzling to me.

St Maarten is about 1150 nautical miles to Port Canaveral.

At 21kts, that takes about 55 hours to sail.

Leaving St. Maarten as scheduled only left about 60 hours to be back for Sunday morning.

1 hour ago, plasticmaster said:

our 7 night cruise had 2 stops and 4 sea days

This is close to my perfect cruise, if it was legal to have a cruise to no where I would book it for 7 sea days.

We are going on Harmony in October and only "Plan" to get off in one port, possibly also Labadee, we plan on staying on the ship.

At least you were on a ship with so much to do!  The Oasis class ships have become the destination themselves which is good since they are limited to ports where they can be reasonably accommodated. 

It's always a disappointment to miss a port that you were looking forward to, though.  Just means you should look at booking a cruise out of Puerto Rico and really get to explore it then!