“Symphony No. 17: Celebration, Relaxation, Exploration, Reflection” – 07/27/19 – 08/03/19

Lovetocruise2002

2 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I’ve actually been hoping that you would not ask, but since you did, here goes...

Unfortunately, Katy is not here as the AM.  It’s another person by the name of Hannah. She is not good. That is about as much as I want to say there. 

Looking back at our cruises in the past year, we’ve had Hugo, Jamie, Ricky, Mitch, and now Mike. Mike is our least favourite. I tried hard to like him as I know that you and many others have had good things to say about him but I just did not see it.

He did not seem very enthusiastic about any of the events that he was hosting. I think back to Mitch who we had on the Anthem GC and he was on his very last sailing before vacation and even he brought on more energy than Mike did. He almost seemed “distracted” most of the time. Hubby even went on to say that he reminds him of a younger version of Bobby Brown. 

Sorry to hear that. It sucks when you go in with expectations and they don't live up to them. Probably end of contract blues as he is on vacation in 2 weeks as if you're being compared to Bobby Brown, something is up.

Heard a negative review of Hannah before - sounds as if doing Harmony with Marc, Dennis & Moe was the right decision after all.

51 minutes ago, Joe01 said:

I have a question - after the Anthem GC and Symphony in the space of a month, are you feeling cruised out?

Maybe just slightly. Lol.

But I would take a cruise over no cruise any day! 

Hubby and I were just discussing this a few days ago and we think that 3 months is a good gap between cruises for us.  #retirementgoals ?

32 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Maybe just slightly. Lol.

But I would take a cruise over no cruise any day! 

Hubby and I were just discussing this a few days ago and we think that 3 months is a good gap between cruises for us.  #retirementgoals ?

We definitely felt cruised out after spending 30 days at sea over a 12 month period.  Having a 6-month break will definitely make a difference.  It wasn't that we were "cruised" out...but more tired of the food, I think.  It gets old after awhile.  Our next cruise is on Celebrity, and will be Aquaclass so we have a specialty restaurant as our assigned MDR.  We'll see how that goes. 

Waiting for a picture of a blue drink... ?

This has been the most perfect, lazy sea day.  After breakfast, we spent the rest of our day on the balcony.  This cruise I barely went to the suite sun deck.  Being on Deck 17 is so convenient because I can easily take a few steps to the suite lounge, get a drink, and go back to the room. Food is easy too as room service is complimentary, CK is down the hall, and WJ is just down one flight of stairs. There are already loungers on the balcony as well so no real need at all to head to the sun deck.  This just re-affirms my love for Deck 17 and convinces me that it is best ? 

We did find a reason to eventually leave our room.  Aqua Nation (the second aqua theater show) was on today. This 1/2h shows basically gives the cast a chance to showcase their talents in a more relaxed setting. 

6F864581-D698-41FA-AEBB-C08914164C15.thumb.jpeg.4950812411f2b3070a202e746a22b8c4.jpeg

The show starts with a brief video highlighting the behind the scenes crew that is vital to the shows. 

A307A4EF-800A-4B96-A32F-897B4B1E0A18.thumb.jpeg.9408d57c9c1f8b9b2b21bf797430aeb9.jpeg

Then the cast comes out and introduces themselves. 

378F9847-6AB6-457E-83DF-476D52AC35D0.thumb.jpeg.401c156da3a5b8f2e4c9091c55f08341.jpeg

8438D28E-5C0E-4AF5-BEA9-F56EC8B2ECF8.thumb.jpeg.3dc6522586d6e6d43695c243dde90c8f.jpeg

This is then followed by some diving routines, aerial work, synchronized swimming, the high line guys come out, and ends with the dancers doing a routine of their own. 

CE752BE6-6C83-4CCC-831B-1F77BD5790FB.thumb.jpeg.50eef867df13c9217319be7bf8365432.jpeg

4ED11101-4D53-4448-81A8-22F656C04E69.thumb.jpeg.f1fdff4665c69101e8f06808068ebc9d.jpeg

Definitely an entertaining way to spend your time on a sea day. 

22 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

This has been the most perfect, lazy sea day.  After breakfast, we spent the rest of our day on the balcony.  This cruise I barely went to the suite sun deck.  Being on Deck 17 is so convenient because I can easily take a few steps to the suite lounge, get a drink, and go back to the room. Food is easy too as room service is complimentary, CK is down the hall, and WJ is just down one flight of stairs. There are already loungers on the balcony as well so no real need at all to head to the sun deck.  This just re-affirms my love did Deck 17 and convinces me that it is best ? 

Nice! No need to mingle with us "steerage" folks! LOL! ?

Dinner Night 7: CK

We tried to keep things light tonight...

0938F03C-18C0-4039-A33E-EB6326F8A197.thumb.jpeg.3cadab111f3165e3ec2a2e817248f69c.jpeg

The usual salad

2180A4D7-AD34-44DD-8BED-17CFA85EE6DF.thumb.jpeg.efcfed07c5ab68e774dd8d5a10b8975c.jpeg

Cauliflower Fried Rice

This dish is easily passed over but it is actually really light and delicious.  The flavouring is really authentic with this dish. However, we found that the portion size on Symphony was much smaller than the other CK’s that we have had this dish on. 

ACEE2F92-4FDE-45A2-B516-E946C5DF1297.thumb.jpeg.65e5f9cf73c07de73abdca24040b5531.jpeg

Hubby went all out with dessert.  I stuck with fresh fruit.

97FAA1B0-7EA6-4F34-A900-3262196D7256.thumb.jpeg.376ff2d0bc365db63e5dba574ff46f43.jpeg

With no shows to rush to, we spent the rest of the night taking a walk around the top decks. The ship is moving quite slow on it’s way back to Miami and the seas are calm, so it made for a nice post dinner walk.  Currently back in our cabin to wrap up the dreaded packing. 

Symphony Final Thoughts

What a perfect week this has been.  So different from our last few sailings with our kids, this one was the other extreme.  So relaxing, and an abundance of down time. It was just what we needed to recharge. 

This ship is amazing, it did not disappoint one bit!  However, is it my favourite now? I don’t know.  If there is a noticeable price difference between HM and SY, I would have a really hard to picking the more expensive one over the other.  I find both ships to be so similar to the point where there honestly were times that I forgot which one I was on.  

The entertainment was the same caliber as the rest of her sisters.  The one that stood out the most was Flight. Other than the drones, 1977 was quite comparable to 1887.  We enjoyed Hiro more than The Fine Line just slightly because we preferred the music and choreography of Hiro. I did miss the spinning guy though. The Broadway production is subjective. I still think We Will Rock You is best. YMMV.

As far as dining goes, I love El Loco Fresh. Way better than Mini Bites on HM but not enough to justify the cost difference of SY.  

Coastal Kitchen/Suite Lounge is identical to HM.  This was probably our least favourite CK experience though thus far.  There was nothing that went wrong but they did not do anything to exceed expectations either, like others have in the past. If I had to put my “teacher hat” on, I would say they were just average, both the crew in there and the quality of the food. Good, but did not go above and beyond what was expected.  Like I mentioned before, there was also some inconsistencies the earlier nights with the quality of the food itself. We still enjoyed our time here but if I were to rank it among our other times, this would not be ranked as high. In my opinion, that honour goes to Anthem’s CK.  Both times we were there, the crew and quality of the meals were spot on and outstanding. 

So to wrap it up, I loved Symphony because she’s OA class. My favourite? It’s whichever one that has the lower priced loft suite between HM and SY. ?

Please continue to ask any questions that I haven’t answered.  @tiny260 and his DW tell me that this is a good place to end it.  In the theme of seventeens, this is Page 17. ?

829DCC83-330B-4E74-BD13-0CD2F113957F.thumb.jpeg.87653d4a79d68823fcd198ca0e171eaf.jpeg

7 hours ago, Skid said:

One thing that just stood out to me was that your favorite Coastal Kitchen is on what I think is your least favorite ship. 

I know, ironic right? Anthem has the best CK in terms of service and food quality. It can’t beat the view of OA class CK though. 

6 hours ago, Susie said:

Thanks for the blog and Happy Anniversary. Look like your dinner included Lemon drop (not sure but look like it) 

If you have to choose between HM and SY which ship you prefer ?

I have the drink package so I just ordered it with dinner.

Now that I have sailed both, I would pick whichever one works out to be cheaper. They are so similar, I love them both. It’s like asking me to choose between my kids. Can’t do it ?

9 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Symphony Final Thoughts

What a perfect week this has been.  So different from our last few sailings with our kids, this one was the other extreme.  So relaxing, and an abundance of down time. It was just what we needed to recharge. 

As far as dining goes, I love El Loco Fresh. Way better than Mini Bites on HM but not enough to justify the cost difference of SY.  

Please continue to ask any questions that I haven’t answered.  @tiny260 and his DW tell me that this is a good place to end it.  In the theme of seventeens, this is Page 17. ?

Amazing blog.  So great to hear you loved Symphony (with some things better, some better on sister ship and some can't tell the difference) and were able to relax.

Lol...I noticed you kept showing El Loco Fresh.  So verdict...did you end up trying the chocolate dulce de leche?

Also..have yet to go on Harmony (Mar 2021) so can't compare if it's on Harmony like this as well, but did you see all the art work on the stair cases, interactive art and those crystals by open elevator area?  That's one thing that stood out for me on Symphony.

Happy anniversary again.  Thanks for sharing your live review.  Seems like a wonderful cruise!

2 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Now that I have sailed both, I would pick whichever one works out to be cheaper. They are so similar, I love them both. It’s like asking me to choose between my kids. Can’t do it ?

I joke with my girls that I have a ranking board and they can easily move up and down depending on the day ?

Glad you had a great anniversary cruise!

1 hour ago, Jaymac Radio said:

Safe Travels Home. 

1 hour ago, JohnK6404 said:

Amazing blog as always! Please get home safely! ☺️

Thank you for following along!

2 minutes ago, Auto said:

I joke with my girls that I have a ranking board and they can easily move up and down depending on the day ?

Haha! Maybe I should try that one!

On 8/3/2019 at 8:33 AM, WannaCruise said:

I noticed you kept showing El Loco Fresh.  So verdict...did you end up trying the chocolate dulce de leche?

Also..have yet to go on Harmony (Mar 2021) so can't compare if it's on Harmony like this as well, but did you see all the art work on the stair cases, interactive art and those crystals by open elevator area?  That's one thing that stood out for me on Symphony.

Yes. We tried the chocolate dulce de leche. I took on bite out of it and that was it for me. Way too sweet. Hubby liked it. He ate the whole thing. 

We did make it a point to take the stairs as much as possible. Some very creative; and some disturbing pieces ? I think some of my favourites were the mural pieces that even covered the floor around that area.  You will find some very unique pieces on Anthem and Harmony as well.

Departure morning:

We had a quick breakfast in CK this morning and manage to make the 7:30 am departure with our suite concierges. Like the Genies, they have a card to request priority service on the elevator. From there, they walked us down to Deck 5 where the gangway is and that is as far as they go. This is different from Port Everglades where they actually walk you to customs.

Once you leave the bridge and enter back into Terminal A, you can go left or right. Suites go right, non-suites go left.  By going right, you now have access to a Suites only elevator which drops you off a little further down the baggage claim area, thereby getting you through customs faster if it was crowded. At least that is what Jennie and Jackie told me yesterday.  

Because it was still early, we ran into very few crowds. Once past customs and outside you make a right for ride share. The area is set up into zones for pick up and there are quite a few people there directing traffic. 

4EC350E4-D5F6-4BC4-A9FE-F4FE6E76A889.thumb.jpeg.763d0a2a0ce052002535d62f931a9a79.jpeg

This is a view from Zone 9 where we waited.  The exit from Terminal A is approximately where the black van is.  As you can see, it is not a far walk at all.

D4051C2C-766C-4A0F-B27B-95254D026406.thumb.jpeg.2caae2915c155dbe2e277f3c9cec5ac7.jpeg

Total time from ship (Deck 17) to being in a Lyft was 21 minutes, at least 7-8 of those minutes were waiting for a Lyft.  So very fast walk off. 

Now sitting at FLL waiting for our ride back to reality. 

1 hour ago, Firefly said:

Thank you for the wonderful live review- looks like you had a relaxing anniversary cruise. Safe travels back to reality...

1 hour ago, Boston Babe said:

JUst catching up!  What a fabulous blog!  I loved all of it and your input!  Happy Anniversary again and safe travels home!!

7 minutes ago, tiny260 said:

Thanks for taking us along with you on your blog, it was as if we were right there in CK with you...lol Safe travels ? DW &. DH 

Thanks for following along! ? Makes it more fun that way!

8 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Thanks for following along! ? Makes it more fun that way!

Sabrina I loved following your blog!  It was so exciting all your experiences on and off the ship!  Did your sailing have a Suite sailaway in one of your ports or were you invited to a backstage or galley tour on Symphony?    I'm so glad you and your husband had such a fabulous getaway to celebrate your 17th Anniversary!  (I'm sure your girls are envious)  We have 2 daughters so I'm sure they have been trying to follow along too!  

I recently got a Glitch/YOLO together literally and moved from balcony straight up to Crown Loft Suite on Deck 17 on the Harmony for September 1st!  If you have any must dos or recommendations, I would really appreciate your input!  I remember how much you loved your experience on Harmony!  We were actually on the Harmony in May 2017 as first time Diamond/Jr Suite from Ft. Lauderdale so looking forward to getting back on this amazing ship!  We loved, loved the Harmony Aqua show and of course we are huge Grease Fans!  Takes me back to being 16....driving my 1966 Mustang with factory air conditioning to the Drive IN in Calif 3 times after getting my Driver's License to see Grease when it first came out in 1978!  Yep I just turned 57....You and your husband really know how to celebrate!  Celebrate everything because life definitely goes by far too fast!!!

Thanks to you or anyone else about must dos or about Deck 17, Harmony, or Sky Class!  

Welcome back home!

Michelle

7 hours ago, hayley_bopp said:

Thanks so much for your blog. I really enjoyed following along. Hope your dry dock passes quickly. 

Doubtful. 225 days! ?

6 hours ago, Guy Gadwa said:

Thanks for taking us along on your great Anniversary cruise!!!!

Thanks for following!

6 hours ago, Skid said:

I knew you couldn't do it! With all of us that follow you, you'll probably break 20 pages again. ?

? Well I tried!

6 hours ago, rjac said:

Thanks for a job well done, Sabrina. Enjoyed your posts & photos! :27_sunglasses:

Glad you did @rjac!

2 hours ago, Cruising to Retirement! said:

Sabrina I loved following your blog!  It was so exciting all your experiences on and off the ship!  Did your sailing have a Suite sailaway in one of your ports or were you invited to a backstage or galley tour on Symphony?  

Yes sorry, I forgot to blog that. We were invited to a galley tour and bridge tour. No backstage tour this time. 

The suite sail away party was from St. Maarten this time. 

Tips for the loft? Stay in it and don’t leave! ? Deck 17 is wonderful. I completely love it. Feel free to ask any other specific questions and lots of us can answer ?

1 hour ago, JLMoran said:

Just caught up with the tail end of this live blog. Thanks for another great trip report, and glad to hear you and hubs-bot had a good time.

Safe flight home!

Thanks for following Joe!

On 8/1/2019 at 8:03 PM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Ugh...this showed up after dinner. No luggage valet in Miami as of yet.

E9F3213E-E051-4795-B410-C49C86CBFCBC.thumb.jpeg.126f121ce372c1822eced39f6106a241.jpeg

On 8/1/2019 at 8:04 PM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Tonight’s agenda...

85BCAF2E-C3B7-4D9C-B254-9DB48A0D01B6.thumb.jpeg.b2a7ee3058246229e387e33674b5cc59.jpeg

We had luggage valet in May, unless I’m confusing trips or terms.  I’m really counting on it for later this month on Symphony.