Jet Blue

BB1

One thing to consider is that Jet Blue requires your baggage to be checked in at least an hour before your flight. Otherwise, you'll get on the plane and your luggage will not.

Happened to our son in San Juan last month - he got from the ship to the airport to check in 58 minutes before the flight and his bag was "too late."

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Reasons I prefer JetBlue over Southwest:

• You can pick your seat
  • Free WiFi
  • Free DirecTV & Sirius XM
  • Even More Space seat upgrades worth the extra cost IMO
  • New fleet of planes
  • Competitive pricing

Another thing in their favor, especially compared to American, is that they sometimes have some decent flight availability when booking with miles/points.

1 hour ago, BB1 said:

What would be the earliest flight out of Miami  that you would you book to return home? Hopefully stress free.

Unless I really messed up during my research and booking, I don't think Jet Blue goes from my area to Miami, just Fort Lauderdale (and West Palm Beach). So we'll be sailing from/to Miami but have to fly to/from Fort Lauderdale. Our return flight is at 1:35. Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable with anything earlier. We are not first off the ship people?

2 minutes ago, BB1 said:

I was looking at Jet Blue to go to Ft. Lauderdale but my cruise is out of Miami and we would leave on a different airline. It's logistics.

FYI, we take a shared shuttle from port of Miami to FLL for $15 per person. With that there is usually still a savings because flights to/from FLL are usually less than Miami.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

• You can pick your seat
  • Free WiFi
  • New fleet of planes
  • Competitive pricing

omg...that sounds luxurious compared to what we get here in Canada.....I will have to check to see if they fly out of Portland to Florida for future  cruises!

9 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

We really like Jet Blue.  If we didn't have status with AA we would be flying JB out of DCA.

The thing I DO like with American is that they always give us TSA Precheck and Jet Blue doesn't. Next flight is on Jet Blue though.

We always used to get Precheck even with Jet Blue but now we have Global Entry (which includes Precheck) and Clear so we have ALL the bases covered.  One thing I really like about AA is that they always upgrade their status members whenever they have unsold First Class seats.  I read a remark from someone on a different thread that said that some of the airlines just sell their surplus First Class seats and that would REALLY pi** me off if it happened to me.  AA upgrades me nearly 100% of the time.

22 hours ago, Matt said:

• You can pick your seat
  • Free WiFi
  • New fleet of planes
  • Competitive pricing

In my opinion, you just described the late, great airtrans.  I loved that airline until they were acquired by Southwest.  I can still recall their tag line "Don't You Love That New Airplane Smell"

7 hours ago, coneyraven said:

In my opinion, you just described the late, great airtrans.  I loved that airline until they were acquired by Southwest.  I can still recall their tag line "Don't You Love That New Airplane Smell"

That merger was such a bad idea. It killed the great competition that was occurring.

3 minutes ago, Matt said:

That merger was such a bad idea. It killed the great competition that was occurring.

What made it so sweet for Southwest were the international routes that Southwest was lacking, and, giving them access to Hartsfield, which, I don't believe Southwest had at the time, but airtrans did.

On 7/23/2019 at 9:28 AM, HeWhoWaits said:

One thing to consider is that Jet Blue requires your baggage to be checked in at least an hour before your flight. Otherwise, you'll get on the plane and your luggage will not.

This is (and please feel free to point to policies stating otherwise), pretty much the policy for most every domestic flight I've been on.  I know Southwest says 45 mins - and there may be others, but the point is it's a reasonably common requirement.  International flights sometimes require an even longer lead.

3 hours ago, Matt said:

I agree, but I also think that they were fighting an uphill battle.  Customer service issues plagued AirTran - and even when temporary, it can be very damaging to an underdog brand.  Another challenge was the legacy of their original name...ValueJet.

On 7/23/2019 at 10:45 AM, Skid said:

Unless I really messed up during my research and booking, I don't think Jet Blue goes from my area to Miami, just Fort Lauderdale (and West Palm Beach).

FLL has a lot of JetBlue flights, I don't know if they fly to MIA at all (I generally only fly out of MIA if an international flight is cheaper out of there than FLL).  PBI (West Palm Beach) has a lot of JetBlue flights considering the small size of that airport, but they're mostly to NYC and the surrounding area.  PBI is a delight though - I used to fly PBI to AVL and it was awesome going between two small airports.  The good news for those flying into South Florida is that it's only about 15 mins extra to go from FLL to PortMiami than it is to go from MIA to PortMiami, and depending on traffic, plus the absolute madness of MIA (not that FLL is a delight) could make that difference moot.

I flew JetBlue when I lived on the East coast.  They don't have much of  West coast route map so I don't fly them now.  If I wanted to I'd have to connect in Boston to reach Florida.  That's the wrong way.

They aren't a ULCC - Ultra Low Cost Carrier.  Like Southwest they are an LCC - Low Cost Carrier.  It's the ULCC you have to be careful with, like Spirit or Frontier.  

11 hours ago, monorailmedic said:

This is (and please feel free to point to policies stating otherwise), pretty much the policy for most every domestic flight I've been on.  I know Southwest says 45 mins - and there may be others, but the point is it's a reasonably common requirement.  International flights sometimes require an even longer lead.

Quick search of airline websites shows requirement for American, Delta, and United to be 45 minutes (with certain airport-specific longer times) for those with checked bags.

11 hours ago, twangster said:

I flew JetBlue when I lived on the East coast.  They don't have much of  West coast route map so I don't fly them now.  If I wanted to I'd have to connect in Boston to reach Florida.  That's the wrong way.

They aren't a ULCC - Ultra Low Cost Carrier.  Like Southwest they are an LCC - Low Cost Carrier.  It's the ULCC you have to be careful with, like Spirit or Frontier.  

Or Allegiant when it comes to ULCC.  That airline scares me when it comes to their safety record ..... it's almost like they're an accident waiting to happen.

17 hours ago, coneyraven said:

What made it so sweet for Southwest were the international routes that Southwest was lacking, and, giving them access to Hartsfield, which, I don't believe Southwest had at the time, but airtrans did.

Totally agree it was a good move for Southwest.  A lot of consumers thought it was good, but writing was on the wall. It would allow Southwest to takeover and less competition.  

AirTran was working hard to disrupt Delta's stranglehold on Hartsfield-Jackson, and with Southwest coming in that might have happened.  But the merger just retained the status quo.