Greek Isles

MDFirst

Hello All,

My family and I are planning  a Greek Island trip in 2021 for my 60th Bday year and would like some ideas for tour excursions on a nine day cruise.

I know that this is early , but I like to plan ahead.

Can I have some thought and ideas.

Also going to do a pre cruise in Italy - Only have time for Florence or Venice ? What is the best choice.

Also to add to this I will be traveling with the wife and our 19 year old triplets , two girls and a boy

Thanks

Michael

We will be going to Athens, mykenos and Santorini.  In Athens, we will be doing an all day royal Caribbean tour to kinda see everything.  In mykenos we will hopefully not die of heat exhaustion and are going to ancient Delos, and in Santorini we are simply doing the oia on your own tour...there are 5 ships in that day...it will be worth having a royal excursion that day as the tendering situation might be tough.  We leave on the cruise next week so as @AshleyDillo said, you can check my live blog section...I hope to post pics!   Jane. 

• 4 weeks later...

We just got off the vision of the seas also- we did private tours through the company “tours by locals” in Athens and Santorini. Athens we had an amazing guide and city tour- perfect mix of history and good food! In Santorini we had an island tour through the same company which was good but it is a small island and there are a ton of tourists which makes it very crowded. Also! The logistics of Santorini are challenging with only 1 cable car to take people to top of the cliff where town is. The lines were very long so we ended up walking down the “donkey path” which was a challenge to say the least. In Mykonos we went to Saint John Hotel Resort as a day pass.  They provide transportation to/from the cruise port. This resort was so beautiful with delicious food (included breakfast and lunch).  Pool and a small beach for relaxing on. I would definitely consider coming back to this resort to stay for a few days! Enjoy your trip!

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 8:23 PM, MDFirst said:

Hello All,

My family and I are planning  a Greek Island trip in 2021 for my 60th Bday year and would like some ideas for tour excursions on a nine day cruise.

I know that this is early , but I like to plan ahead.

Can I have some thought and ideas.

Also going to do a pre cruise in Italy - Only have time for Florence or Venice ? What is the best choice.

Also to add to this I will be traveling with the wife and our 19 year old triplets , two girls and a boy

Thanks

Michael

Michael,

We took a Mediterranean cruise last summer with our teenagers and they loved it.  We visited Florence (not Venice) and went to a basilica in the main square (Santa Croce).  It had the graves of many famous people (Michelangelo, Galileo, Machiavelli, and Rossini to name a few).  The square had some shops, eateries, and the church was a nice.  We also strolled around from that square and saw the Ponte Vecchio (a medieval bridge) that also has jewelry.  We did not shop but the bridge has some history and was neat.

We also visited Santorini on the cruise and loved it.  We booked an excursion with the cruise that took us on a bus to the ruins (Akrotiri-associated with Minoan civilization) and then around the island to the top (where the blue roof is).  They dropped us at that top and we took the cable car down (warning, lines can get long.  Leave time to get down before you have to be back on the ship).  The ruins were absolutely fabulous (especially if you like that) and the views spectacular.  We were glad we booked that

santorini is fantastic. i went there many years ago and stayed a few nights. i don't know if they still do all of these things or if still available, but there are a few things that in my view are the quintessential santorini experience:

1. taking a bus ride up the switchbacks on the way to oia (so scary - like a roller coaster only more beautiful)

2. watching the sunset from a cliff-side bar or restaurant in oia, along with just about every other person on the island. there is a tradition (or there was) where the moment after the sun dipped below the horizon, everyone along the cliffs watching it would erupt in applause for the beauty they just beheld...it was magical. i should add that i also had the best swordfish of my life there.

3. doing a tour of the crater of the volcano. absolutely amazing.

to this i will only add, learn as much history about the island as possible while there. it is fascinating.

i don't know what other islands you will visit, but i also went to paros, ios, crete and rhodes. let me know if you want my impressions of those places...all of which are beautiful in their own way.