Dogs on Board

There are a number of issues here. The primary one being that anyone with a few dollars can buy a "Service Dog" ID and vest from any one of a number of on-line stores more interested in getting the dollars than they are validating/verifying/vetting the training of the animal.

There are a few lawful, government rules that apply to service animals.

Emotional support animals do not qualify as service animals per the American Disabilities Act.

Service animals must be on a lead unless it interferes with their job.

Any service animal out of control or not house broken can be asked to leave the premises.

https://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

Nothing like Fido`s various shall we say fluids  all over the serving spoons,etc. in the windjammer and elevator buttons and so on.  YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   And Fido does not even do WASHEEE  WASHEEE.    I love dogs .  Cats I`m allergic  to them but still will show them affection and then promptly wash up. After every cruise we would do our best to get to the kennel that day to pick her up.   Pets can be great companions.     

31 minutes ago, fonemanbob said:

Nothing like Fido`s various shall we say fluids  all over the serving spoons,etc. in the windjammer and elevator buttons and so on.  YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   And Fido does not even do WASHEEE  WASHEEE.    I love dogs .  Cats I`m allergic  to them but still will show them affection and then promptly wash up. After every cruise we would do our best to get to the kennel that day to pick her up.   Pets can be great companions.     

I can see y'all pay what we normally pay when we take a cruise.

Critter boarding fee's, Airfare, hotel (Pre-Cruise)....That in itself would pay for another cruise.

I had no idea dogs were allowed in cabins on cruise ships.

This causes me some concern in that I have a severe allergy to certain dogs (fur vs hair).

I recently staid at a hotel with family and had to sleep in my car due to having an allergic reaction as soon as I entered the room due to not being aware they had a pet policy.

I now carry Benedryl with me at all times.

My brother (has two sweet dogs I am highly allergic to, they belong to his wife who I adore and can't possibly ask to get rid of her lovely dogs but as a family we work to avoid my exposure to the point where if my family visits them, when they return home they strip in the garage and bag their clothes to wash and go straight to a shower.... I can't even hug my own daughter until she's decontaminated from the visit) recently moved back to the area and came over to the house, sat in one of the club chairs in my living room and when I sat in it an hour later I had a reaction.

We now keep one chair that I am the only person allowed to sit in just because my reaction was so bad. My eyes swell shut and I have trouble breathing.

I'll have to alert my travel companions (not family so are not aware) of this so if I have a severe reaction they can get me help.

I love dogs. It saddens me that I have this allergy but I have no control over it (no, shots don't work).

I have to be so very very very careful.

Is this super common to see dogs on the ship? Or fairly rare?

On 7/31/2019 at 10:24 AM, YOLO said:

@ellcee  Thanks!  She truly was a once in a lifetime dog for us.  Unfortunately, we lost her a couple of years ago.

Here's Kuka on the morning of Jan 21, 2016 - her eighth birthday.  Such a sweet girl.  We still miss her.

image.png.92b117a97e06dae0b0ac96cce23acb8c.png

This may be the most handsome dog I have ever seen. He's beautiful!

On 8/16/2019 at 6:29 AM, JennyJenny said:

This may be the most handsome dog I have ever seen. He's beautiful!

@JennyJenny Thanks!  We were so lucky to have gotten Kuka from Missouri Malamutes.  She loved life and was so very sweet.

Actually, her brother Moki (not related - he came from Lone Star Malamutes) just turned 9 yesterday.  He and his 2 sisters celebrated with ice-cream yesterday.  Tomorrow he'll enjoy a nice little steak feast for himself.  Here is a pic of My Moki Man when he was around 3 years old...

image.png.5d25cc4f3b5931ae699f93f00a4f67bb.png

Love all of the dog pics! ?

I can't pass up an opportunity to post pics too! I have to start taking some nice DSLR shots soon (my wife keeps reminding me!). Quick pics that I had taken with my iPhone.

Bella (left and top in second pic) turned 7 in May... we rescued her at 13 months. Jake (right and bottom) just turned 2 this month... rescued at 16 months. We have their papers, but who knows (both were owner surrenders)... don't know the rep of the breeders. We both volunteer for the rescue we adopted them from.

Bella desperately needed a buddy to keep her company while we are at work (both of our cats passed last year). ?

Needless to say, I think they bonded! LOL!

Maybe I can sneak them on Symphony... just put on rescue or service dog vests! ?

1832853900_BellaandJake_JUNE2019_02.thumb.jpg.213f67a12d38972bd94e9085ced79327.jpg

1686053654_BellaandJake_JUNE2019_03.thumb.jpg.096ffce44bcb52943e0834a6f9f4c00f.jpg

• 1 year later...
On 7/22/2019 at 3:38 PM, CruisinUpinLife said:

I do not think I've ever seen a service dog to date (only two cruises though).  I do not blame you for being horrified to see the dog being held while the owner was utilizing the buffet to get food.  I would think that this isn't standard protocol but not entirely sure.

some small breeds are used for glucose monitoring and have to be carried to allow them to do their jobs

Okay, I know I'm gonna get hate for this. However I must make a few points very clear:

1. Four on the floor is a guideline, not a law. there are tasks that require the dog to be carried or in the handlers lap to perform their task. It seems that many of the small dogs seen were with older people, many of whom may have been diabetic or have another similar disability. these small dogs are specially trained to smell glucose on their owners breath. i am not saying that this is true of every dog, however this is the most likely cause. these dogs will not be seen eating from the table or licking silverware etc. but rather calmly sitting under the table in their owners lap.
  2. Not all dogs are for PHYSICAL/ STABILITY tasks. I cant believe i have to say that in this thread. Psychiatric tasks are just as common and just as necessary.
  3. Many of you have stated you would not take your PETS  onto a cruise. This is as it should be. PETS are not trained service animals and should not be in locations that are service animals only. SERVICE DOGS are specially trained to handle many environments that pets would not do well in. they are trained to handle new situations, and they have a much higher level of protocol.
  4. Service dogs are generally the best groomed dogs out there, short of maybe show dogs. We as handlers do everything we can to minimize risk of setting off allergies of others.
  5. If a dog is having regular accidents in the cabin, that is not a service dog and that is the responsibility of the cruise staff to deal with, not the passengers.
  6. You don't balk at the idea of having a bathroom for yourself, leave the service dogs' tiny patches of mulch alone. they are there to fulfill a need. Often you wont even know where they are unless you have a service dog.
  7. https://www.psychdogpartners.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/PSDPflyer2015.pdf
  8. https://www.psychdogpartners.org/allergies-fears
  9. https://www.ada.gov/regs2010/service_animal_qa.pdf
  10. https://www.psychdogpartners.org/resources/work-tasks/work-task-list
  11. https://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm
  12. https://www.psychdogpartners.org/resources/frequently-asked-questions/laws
  13. i could give more links but if this doesn't satisfy the questions, not including those from owners of ACTUAL SERVICE DOGS, maybe you should look to vent elsewhere.

On 1/30/2021 at 8:56 PM, skye said:

Okay, I know I'm gonna get hate for this. However I must make a few points very clear

<snip>

1. i could give more links but if this doesn't satisfy the questions, not including those from owners of ACTUAL SERVICE DOGS, maybe you should look to vent elsewhere.

Uh, not sure why you felt the need to drag up a 2 year old thread.  Since you didn't bother to quote anything controversial, I'm not going to bother rereading the whole thing to check but I don't recall anyone suggesting service dogs shouldn't be allowed on board.  However, there certainly have been issues with people clearly bringing pets on both cruise ships and airplanes.  That's not cool and that's pretty much all that needs to be said on the topic.

On 1/30/2021 at 8:56 PM, skye said:

Okay, I know I'm gonna get hate for this. However I must make a few points very clear:

1. Four on the floor is a guideline, not a law. there are tasks that require the dog to be carried or in the handlers lap to perform their task. It seems that many of the small dogs seen were with older people, many of whom may have been diabetic or have another similar disability. these small dogs are specially trained to smell glucose on their owners breath. i am not saying that this is true of every dog, however this is the most likely cause. these dogs will not be seen eating from the table or licking silverware etc. but rather calmly sitting under the table in their owners lap.
  2. Not all dogs are for PHYSICAL/ STABILITY tasks. I cant believe i have to say that in this thread. Psychiatric tasks are just as common and just as necessary.
  3. Many of you have stated you would not take your PETS  onto a cruise. This is as it should be. PETS are not trained service animals and should not be in locations that are service animals only. SERVICE DOGS are specially trained to handle many environments that pets would not do well in. they are trained to handle new situations, and they have a much higher level of protocol.
  4. Service dogs are generally the best groomed dogs out there, short of maybe show dogs. We as handlers do everything we can to minimize risk of setting off allergies of others.
  5. If a dog is having regular accidents in the cabin, that is not a service dog and that is the responsibility of the cruise staff to deal with, not the passengers.
  6. You don't balk at the idea of having a bathroom for yourself, leave the service dogs' tiny patches of mulch alone. they are there to fulfill a need. Often you wont even know where they are unless you have a service dog.
  7. https://www.psychdogpartners.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/PSDPflyer2015.pdf
  8. https://www.psychdogpartners.org/allergies-fears
  9. https://www.ada.gov/regs2010/service_animal_qa.pdf
  10. https://www.psychdogpartners.org/resources/work-tasks/work-task-list
  11. https://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm
  12. https://www.psychdogpartners.org/resources/frequently-asked-questions/laws
  13. i could give more links but if this doesn't satisfy the questions, not including those from owners of ACTUAL SERVICE DOGS, maybe you should look to vent elsewhere.

Really unnecessary 

On 7/22/2019 at 1:38 PM, CruisinUpinLife said:

I do not think I've ever seen a service dog to date (only two cruises though).  I do not blame you for being horrified to see the dog being held while the owner was utilizing the buffet to get food.  I would think that this isn't standard protocol but not entirely sure.

I seem to see more service\emotional support dogs on transatlantic cruises, than other cruises. One couple I talked with had a stroller with 2 little dogs in it. 

And yes, they brought the stroller to the dining room.  Which I did not like. They travel to Europe for the summer and the people do not like to fly. Then come back in fall on next transatlantic.

I have seem lots of dogs on cruises.  I have been on about 50 cruises though. And one larger black dog I have seem on 3 different cruises.  Most dogs are well behaved and have areas to do their business behind the scenes.  Or use pee pads in their room.  I do not think most of the emotional support dogs I have seen on ships are trained very well about their behavior and where to pee.  Unlike like service animals.  I have not heard good stories from people who brought emotional support dogs on ships about issues with them.

I am glad that they will be better with which dogs can come aboard. The emotional support dogs rule is abused.  I think actual service animals is great though.

• 1 year later...
On 7/30/2019 at 4:43 PM, sabarwolf said:

My husband is legally blind because one eye is a prosthetic, but still can see well enough to drive, etc. So agreed, disabilities are not always apparent. That said, IMO, I think these folks were taking advantage of the service dog policy. I would have also complained to the kitchen staff about the dog being held near food. Regardless if the dog was not "doing it's business", it could have been shedding, etc.

My guess is that the owners use pee-pee pads for their dog. And in that case, I feel sorry for the cabin steward finding that in the room's garbage...

I am actually taking my medical alert dog with me on my cruise in April. She is well trained which is mandatory these days. They have a pet relief area which I have to go to when I first get on board so she understands what is her area. I have to clean up after her there. I am not allowed to leave her in my state room alone. I will probably be ordering most of my meals by room service. I have some of the better restaurants reserved for myself as they are smaller and less crowds. She said it’s quietly under the table until I’m done. I need her in case my body goes into exacerbations.. If she gets me on time I can take medicine. If something happens to me and I am unconscious she is trained to go get help and bring it back to me . If you see a service dog barking and alone, follow them.

On 7/31/2019 at 9:09 AM, ellcee said:

I saw places on Harmony and Anthem. Harmony was somewhere on the running track, can't remember where Anthem's was.

Here is a pic of Harmony's "Service Dog Litter Box" on the starboard aft section of the deck 5 running track under the exterior stairwell near the fantail.  It's very small with "litter bags" for the owner/handler to clean up after their pet.  Don't know how often this space is cleaned and maintained by the crew.  There were several service dogs present on my Harmony cruise recently, and all the ones I saw were larger dogs and wearing the "service dog" vest.  I was surprised at how many were onboard.

2022-02-28 16.03.06.jpg

• 1 month later...

A lot of you are just simply wrong on all aspects of this post. Taking the dog through the buffet is wrong - I’ll agree to that. I have an emotional support animal and so does my my wife. Both small Yorkshire terriers that are hypoallergenic - they have hair, not fur, and they shed less than you or I. We are both veterans clinically diagnosed with PTSD. Our dogs are not perfect, sometimes they bark, sometimes they go crazy inside our home if they hear a random noise, sometimes the go nuts if someone they don’t agree with tried to pet them. They have not gone through the same training as let’s say an individual that is blind and needs and eye seeing dog; however, we need them. There are times when my wife and I are mentally incapacitated  due to stress or simply bad images. Our dogs immediately since this and come to us and lick our faces, this calms us down. There has been issues where my wife has gone into seizures over her trauma before our dogs and it’s not pretty. 

Now Emotional support animals are not allowed so we have to classify them differently…

all we want to do is go on a cruise and know we have that comfort if we need it… why are we not allowed?

2 hours ago, Dalebert said:

A lot of you are just simply wrong on all aspects of this post. Taking the dog through the buffet is wrong - I’ll agree to that. I have an emotional support animal and so does my my wife. Both small Yorkshire terriers that are hypoallergenic - they have hair, not fur, and they shed less than you or I. We are both veterans clinically diagnosed with PTSD. Our dogs are not perfect, sometimes they bark, sometimes they go crazy inside our home if they hear a random noise, sometimes the go nuts if someone they don’t agree with tried to pet them. They have not gone through the same training as let’s say an individual that is blind and needs and eye seeing dog; however, we need them. There are times when my wife and I are mentally incapacitated  due to stress or simply bad images. Our dogs immediately since this and come to us and lick our faces, this calms us down. There has been issues where my wife has gone into seizures over her trauma before our dogs and it’s not pretty. 

Now Emotional support animals are not allowed so we have to classify them differently…

all we want to do is go on a cruise and know we have that comfort if we need it… why are we not allowed?

Because so many people have abused the "emotional support animal" moniker, they are no longer allowed many places.  The use of them is so broad, and the training for them varies so widely that many, many, are not suitable to be in a public setting. Are yours? Quite possibly.  Most that I have seen simply are not. Many people also fake ESAs, which, of course, makes it difficult for those who have a legitimate need for them.  ESAs do not have the same rights by law that service animals do, therefore, by law, they do not have to be admitted into public settings.   

From the AKC website:

"Unlike service dogs owners, ESA owners have only limited legal rights and those typically require a letter of diagnosis from the owner’s doctor or psychiatrist. While they don’t have unlimited access to public spaces, the Fair Housing Act mandates “reasonable accommodations” for emotional support animals even in buildings that don’t allow pets. As of January 2021, airlines are no longer required to accommodate emotional support animals."

2 hours ago, Dalebert said:

The simple answer is because of those who abuse the system. 

Those who unlike you who dont need a service animal but say they do just so they can take it everywhere they go. Its because of these people that rules change

6 minutes ago, Ray said:

The simple answer is because of those who abuse the system. 

Those who unlike you who dont need a service animal but say they do just so they can take it everywhere they go. Its because of these people that rules change

And Emotional Support Animals are not even Service Animals.  They are not covered by ADA.

7 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

And Emotional Support Animals are not even Service Animals.  They are not covered by ADA.

I was just being diplomatic 😀 really wanted to say because of all the selfish gits who abuse the system and think rules dont apply to them as they are better and more deserving than others! But i refrained and went with the diplomatic approach! 😉

On 7/22/2019 at 6:08 PM, twangster said:

It's a situation that's occurring more and more in society.  Part of the challenge for any company is that they have limited ability to challenge a guest's assertion they have a disability that requires a service animal.  No company on land or at sea can require anyone to prove a disability.  I could sit in a wheel chair and make all sorts of claims about a disability and no store, or theater, or amusement park or cruise line can legally challenge me.

As many people note when flying that an airplane can solve many disabilities.  Some people claim the need for assistance to board and/or priority boarding for their ailment then miraculously by the end of the flight they can jump up and walk off the plane like a fully abled body person can.  The miracle of flight.  This is what our society has come to.  

Airlines and cruise lines have noted the abuse of the service animal policy and are trying to deal with it as best they can but people will go to great lengths to fake a need.  It is really unfortunate because there are truly valid needs that are being impacted by the fakers.

Princess has them too.   

Can I get on an airplane with Bessie? She’s my ‘emotional support’ cow. Plus, I really like a squirt of fresh milk in my coffee.

**Yes...this is humor.

I’ve also seen people who are ‘disabled’ at boarding day getting on the ship early…walking with a severe limp, using a cane…and them see them doing early walk-off with a pile of wheeled luggage. With the cane strapped to a bag, they literally run off the ship. It’s a shame someone feels the need to ‘get over’ by feigning a disability.

As a person who had a long hard fight with cancer and was left feeling like I could die any minute, I get a lot of comfort from my small 5 lb poodle. I love my Doberman also but my poodle has really helped me. It's hard to go from actively dying for a couple years to "hey you're okay". I have passed my 5 year mark so I really am okay.

But...my dog is not an emotional support animal. I'm sorry, but if someone wants to classify a dog as a support animal, you better spend a few hours training them every day. EVERY DAY. They should be able to be quiet. They should be 100% house broke. They should have several AKC, or the equivalent, training certificates. They should be flawless on a leash. Above all, they should never be a danger to others, never should they be uncomfortable around any person, any dog, or anything. 

Otherwise they are a pet. I do train my dogs. I believe my dogs do meet that criteria, but for the time frame of a cruise, and I have done long ones, I am okay with out Ziggy, and certainly he is better at the vet's office with his Dober brother. I know it is stressful for me and for my dogs to be away from each other. Plus since they go to my Vet while we are gone, it's a lot of extra money, but even as well trained as my dogs are, I don't know for absolute certain that Ziggy wouldn't bark at times, and that would be wrong.

I will also point out that people are now selling "real" service animal kits, with a "real" Vet's letter, for people to cheat their untrained dogs into places they do not belong.