Dogs on Board

We recently took our first Royal Caribbean cruise, a transatlantic out of Galveston and were dumbfounded by the dogs on board.  One was obviously a service dog and belonged there but the other three or four yappy little dogs weren't service dogs.  Horrified that one "gentleman" held on to the little yappy thing as he went through the buffet for breakfast.  Disgusting!   We made sure that we had a very early breakfast after that.  Know you all will say it was an emotional support dog but I think it was a case of "we can't leave poor yappy home".  Haven't seen this on Princess (yet) and probably will never see it on Seabourn.  This was probably our first and last cruise with RC.  Is this standard operating procedure for this line?

3 minutes ago, Cleocat said:

We recently took our first Royal Caribbean cruise, a transatlantic out of Galveston and were dumbfounded by the dogs on board.  One was obviously a service dog and belonged there but the other three or four yappy little dogs weren't service dogs.  Horrified that one "gentleman" held on to the little yappy thing as he went through the buffet for breakfast.  Disgusting!   We made sure that we had a very early breakfast after that.  Know you all will say it was an emotional support dog but I think it was a case of "we can't leave poor yappy home".  Haven't seen this on Princess (yet) and probably will never see it on Seabourn.  This was probably our first and last cruise with RC.  Is this standard operating procedure for this line?

I do not think I've ever seen a service dog to date (only two cruises though).  I do not blame you for being horrified to see the dog being held while the owner was utilizing the buffet to get food.  I would think that this isn't standard protocol but not entirely sure.

3 minutes ago, Cleocat said:

Actually, the policy was recently changed to that ONLY service dogs would be permitted.  Not the Emotional Support ones.  My guess is that too many people were taking advantage of it that really didn't qualify.  As for the ones that you saw, my theory would be that those folks were grandfathered in based upon when they booked vs. when the policy took effect.  I know others, like @twangster, can shed more light on this.

9 minutes ago, coneyraven said:

Actually, the policy was recently changed to that ONLY service dogs would be permitted.  Not the Emotional Support ones.  My guess is that too many people were taking advantage of it that really didn't qualify.  As for the ones that you saw, my theory would be that those folks were grandfathered in based upon when they booked vs. when the policy took effect.  I know others, like @twangster, can shed more light on this.

This is my understanding as well. 

It's a situation that's occurring more and more in society.  Part of the challenge for any company is that they have limited ability to challenge a guest's assertion they have a disability that requires a service animal.  No company on land or at sea can require anyone to prove a disability.  I could sit in a wheel chair and make all sorts of claims about a disability and no store, or theater, or amusement park or cruise line can legally challenge me.

As many people note when flying that an airplane can solve many disabilities.  Some people claim the need for assistance to board and/or priority boarding for their ailment then miraculously by the end of the flight they can jump up and walk off the plane like a fully abled body person can.  The miracle of flight.  This is what our society has come to.  

Airlines and cruise lines have noted the abuse of the service animal policy and are trying to deal with it as best they can but people will go to great lengths to fake a need.  It is really unfortunate because there are truly valid needs that are being impacted by the fakers.

Princess has them too.   

On Navigator in December some very nice people had a service dog with a vest but the issue is they took turns with who had the dog.  If it is truly a service dog it should be with the owner at all times.  And if I had seen a dog being held in line at the buffet I would have complained very loudly to staff.  That is gross.  Put yappy on the floor when you get your food.

People bring their dogs everywhere now.  Just was at Lowes and a family had their poor hot poodle in the shopping cart.  He couldn't get comfortable sitting in the front of the cart, his paws were too small.  My husband was getting pissed, it was very hot and you could tell the puppy was hurting. 

I've even seen someone take their dog into a movie theater??!! 

On the Harmony in May there was a guy with a little poodle, carried him around everywhere.  I have two dogs, I love dogs, but what is a poor dog suppose to do on a cruise ship?  My fur babies would be miserable stuck like that.

If you can't vacation without them go places that are pet friendly, I don't think a cruise ship is it.

Totally my take on it.

1 hour ago, BTE said:

In my opinion unless it's truly a service dog it shouldn't be allowed around food at all

Knowing what I know, a true service dog would not have been held and would have been walking along the floor.  Most service dogs are not held and are usually walked.  And I have to agree,  I really do not care if it was a service dog, it should not have been around the food.  I am a dog lover and am actually working to get my dog to therapy dog level and hate to see when people abuse the privilege that they have.  Makes everyone else suspicious of those that truly need it for their disability.  

Am I the only one wondering where they do their business? Is there some type of extra cleaning fee like hotels charge or are the low paid stewards responsible to just clean up after them like normal? And my dog isn't a fan of cars never mind a ship. Most dogs don't like boats either so I wonder how they take it.

I have been on a few ships that actually have a small pad of "grass" that is off the beaten path for the owners of service animals to take them to relieve themselves.  The owner is responsible for cleaning up after their pet in that area.  I am not sure what the deal would be if the dog used the restroom in the room or other public area.  

53 minutes ago, LetsTryThisPlace said:

Am I the only one wondering where they do their business? Is there some type of extra cleaning fee like hotels charge or are the low paid stewards responsible to just clean up after them like normal? And my dog isn't a fan of cars never mind a ship. Most dogs don't like boats either so I wonder how they take it.

I saw a little patch of fake grass along the walking track. I love my dog but would never want to bring her on a cruise. ?

My husband is legally blind because one eye is a prosthetic, but still can see well enough to drive, etc. So agreed, disabilities are not always apparent. That said, IMO, I think these folks were taking advantage of the service dog policy. I would have also complained to the kitchen staff about the dog being held near food. Regardless if the dog was not "doing it's business", it could have been shedding, etc.

My guess is that the owners use pee-pee pads for their dog. And in that case, I feel sorry for the cabin steward finding that in the room's garbage...

16 hours ago, LetsTryThisPlace said:

I saw places on Harmony and Anthem. Harmony was somewhere on the running track, can't remember where Anthem's was.

On 7/22/2019 at 10:41 PM, Skid said:

Or worse if you're in flip flops. This warrants yet another request to @Matt for an "eeew" reaction. ?

Skid, let me...  EEEeeeeeewww!

I been on quite a few cruises and haven't really seen some of the problems written about here.  I love dogs (and cats).  I have two Malamutes and a Siberian.  I would NEVER want to bring them on a cruise.  What are people thinking?  I guess that is the problem - they aren't.  In the case of non-service dogs, it seems like a rather selfish act to me at the expense of the poor pup.  Sorry, but there should be absolutely NO reason for any animal (other than a trained service animal) to be in ANY dining room.  Also, if the dog isn't working as a guide or in another physical support capacity then the dog should not even be on the ship!

With that said, I have taken Kuka (my profile pic) to Captain's Bounty in Rockport MA - right on the beach.  It was a memorable vacation for us and her.

Gorgeous dog, I love the Malamutes and Siberians (we used to have a Siberian when we lived in Canada) 

I have another question though. The legal requirements by the landing countries. What happens when there is some restriction, for example here in Cayman Islands we have VERY strict laws especially for rabies as we are a rabies free zone. How would some countries handle this if they knew about it?

12 minutes ago, LetsTryThisPlace said:

Gorgeous dog, I love the Malamutes and Siberians (we used to have a Siberian when we lived in Canada) 

I have another question though. The legal requirements by the landing countries. What happens when there is some restriction, for example here in Cayman Islands we have VERY strict laws especially for rabies as we are a rabies free zone. How would some countries handle this if they knew about it?

This is a very good point.  I would think all certified service dogs that travel must have an international health certificate.  See this link:

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel/pet-travel-info-and-guidance-document/steps-to-obtain-intl-health-certificate

3 hours ago, YOLO said:

With that said, I have taken Kuka (my profile pic) to Captain's Bounty in Rockport MA - right on the beach.  It was a memorable vacation for us and her.

And Captains Bounty is stated as pet friendly, so no issue there. I agree with @ellcee and everyone else--your dog is magnificent! Also love your area. Have family in MA. When he was young I used to take them to Fenway (my favorite park when I used to care about baseball) to see the Red Sox. I was never a Yankee fan, but driving to Fenway with, at that time, NY plates on the car was never fun! Couldn't convince people that I was on their side. Had to get a Sox cap to wear in the car,

2 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

She has such an expressive face. She looks so sweet.  I lost my Goldie almost 10 years ago and I still miss her every day.

Funny you should say that.  We fell in love with the very fist picture (below) we saw of her.  She seemed shy and sweet.  Exactly the personality she had throughout her entire life.  What breed of dog was Goldie?  It's great you remember her (?) after that much time.

image.png.797721bcaeb8210459a5ef18f46ade92.png

4 hours ago, Skid said:

And Captains Bounty is stated as pet friendly, so no issue there. I agree with @ellcee and everyone else--your dog is magnificent! Also love your area. Have family in MA. When he was young I used to take them to Fenway (my favorite park when I used to care about baseball) to see the Red Sox. I was never a Yankee fan, but driving to Fenway with, at that time, NY plates on the car was never fun! Couldn't convince people that I was on their side. Had to get a Sox cap to wear in the car,

Yes, Captain's Bounty is awesome.  When inside Kuka ran right to the deck were there is a wall overlooking the beach.  She jumped up and her face lit up with a big smile!  This pic sort of captures that.  I am a Sox fan and my dad was a Yankees fan.  In fact my nickname is Mickey - and that did not come from a Red Sox player's name.  I am sure you can guess from whom it was derived.  I know what you mean about Fenway.  It is just sooo historic.  As they say, they don't make 'em like that anymore...

image.png.e4b43bca0ef6e38969b0c274b5159861.png

They have pee pad/areas in airports in the US for dogs....blew my mind the last time we travelled seeing them at various airports...none in Canada that I know of or have ever seen.

As for dogs on the cruise.....if only ppl would have common sense. You don't eat with a dog on your lap or take a dog out in public if they aren't trained and will pee everywhere.

Common sense has gone out the window for most ppl and not just when it comes to dogs..lol

That being said..I prefer dogs much more to kids......but I wont go there..lol

Just now, monctonguy said:

That being said..I prefer dogs much more to kids......but I wont go there..lol

Same. I used to be kids over animals but except for the kids in my family, nope.

4 minutes ago, YOLO said:

@ellcee  Sweet!  Who is this cutie?

Luna. I was a cat person until I got her. Still love cats but now I love all animals...something about a dog that opens you up. It's been 3 years and the people around me are still shocked on how I've changed (+) since her.

You can see how well you took care of your dog by her coat. That's love.

30 minutes ago, YOLO said:

Funny you should say that.  We fell in love with the very fist picture (below) we saw of her.  She seemed shy and sweet.  Exactly the personality she had throughout her entire life.  What breed of dog was Goldie?  It's great you remember her (?) after that much time.

image.png.797721bcaeb8210459a5ef18f46ade92.png

My golden retriever (goldie) was Caige (named after one of my parents’ race horses, Cajun Sunset....they called the horse Caige for short and my daughter loved that horse !).

She was God’s most gentle and loving creature. I miss her so much. 

I don't blame you for falling in love with that photo.  What a sweetie !

30 minutes ago, YOLO said:

image.png.e4b43bca0ef6e38969b0c274b5159861.png

Kuka was gorgeous!   She looked like such a sweet dog! I would have hugged her all the time!   I love the animal pics you guys are posting; I love cats and dogs ( all animals really)! 

As far as them being on a cruise ship, as much as I love seeing them and petting them, it's not sanitary for them to be around food.  It's fine for true service dogs, but it seems like people are abusing the rules as of late when it comes to airlines ( and I guess ships now!)  I think with the recent attacks that have happened on planes.....companies will start cracking down and putting more rules into place before you are allowed to bring animals in.  I also think for a lot of ports you wouldn't be able to bring them due to their rabies/quarantine rules.

I have only seen a band have their 'service dog' (not a true service dog) on a cruise ship.  She also had "accidents" crew had to clean up.  She was great to see and pet, but a lot of times she seemed overwhelmed by the people and activities going on. Pretty sad really......

@WAAAYTOOO  It sounds like Caige was your dog of a lifetime.  What a great name too.  How awesome and what a great remembrance.

We had a golden named Romeo which happened to be my grandfather's name.  My mom thought that was so funny.  Romeo actually taught Kuka (an Alaskan Malamute!!!) how to catch, fetch, and retrieve a tennis ball when she was young.  Kuka didn't have the persistence that Romeo had for retrieving, but she would give him a good run.

Caige thought ALL balls (particularly tennis balls) belonged exclusively to her.  The attendant at the kennel where we used to board her when we had to leave her used to laugh b/c by the end of her stay, every ball on the premise would always end up in her kennel.  She was a shameless ball thief.

23 hours ago, LetsTryThisPlace said:

-Am I the only one wondering where they do their business? Is there some type of extra cleaning fee like hotels charge or are the low paid stewards responsible to just clean up after them like normal? And my dog isn't a fan of cars never mind a ship. Most dogs don't like boats either so I wonder how they take it.

Some don't -- case in point - my stateroom reeked of dog urine on embarkation day.  It took a huge effort to get the room cleaned so that it no longer smelled.

• 2 weeks later...

Dogs are the best.  I love my dogs and I already have pangs of regret at the thought of having to leave them for two weeks.  It would be lovely to have your dogs with you everywhere, but sometimes it is in everyone's best interest, including their own, to leave them at home, with a reliable carer.  I wouldn't consider bringing them on a cruise.  I think they would be better off at home.  We live on a farm, so they have lots of company and room to move about and sleep inside in their nice warm pet beds.  

P1080971.JPG

On 7/31/2019 at 9:36 AM, YOLO said:

Skid, let me...  EEEeeeeeewww!

I been on quite a few cruises and haven't really seen some of the problems written about here.  I love dogs (and cats).  I have two Malamutes and a Siberian.  I would NEVER want to bring them on a cruise.  What are people thinking?  I guess that is the problem - they aren't.  In the case of non-service dogs, it seems like a rather selfish act to me at the expense of the poor pup.  Sorry, but there should be absolutely NO reason for any animal (other than a trained service animal) to be in ANY dining room.  Also, if the dog isn't working as a guide or in another physical support capacity then the dog should not even be on the ship!

We have 3 huskies and a lab.  We love them dearly but they do not belong on a cruise.  They would enjoy the attention, but our dogs are family not trained service animals.  And unfortunately neither are most of the dogs you see.  People take advantage of situations just because they want to take their pets with them everywhere.