Port Perfume Salesmen...

kittysoul

I didn't want to  hijack that other perfume post with my story... but, it made me think of something that happened to me and my ex husband, many years ago, in Kusadasi, Turkey.    We were on a smaller cruise ship called the MTS Triton (of the Epirotiki line).   Before we got to Kusadasi,  we were given a lecture on the ship, regarding all of these rip offs that would face us as soon as we disembarked.   One of the warnings was to NEVER BUY THE PERFUME that guys are selling out on the street around the port.   For some reason though, as soon as we got off the ship and was out on the street, this advice magically just disapeared from both of our minds... like a spell was cast over us, (haha).  We instantly fell for it and bought like 3 bottles of the sealed, expensive name brand perfumes...  It wasn't until we returned to the ship that all of the sudden it hit us and we remembered the lecture.  We went to our cabin and opened the sealed packages and sure enough... the bottles contained dirty seawater.   We were so ashamed that we took the bottles to a public trash container on the ship and discarded them, so that we did not have to admit to anyone that we had been so stupid and gullible.  lol     So anyway, I was just wondering if this is still an issue at port's around the world... I would imagine that it is...because obviously, it works... on some of us simpletons at least, lol.    This upcoming cruise for me will be my first return to cruising since then (1994).... don't worry, if it still is out there , I will not be a victim again! ?

Julie

Nothing to be ashamed of (although I would have been too) we've all been tricked from time to time. A lot of people have tricks to get you to buy stuff. We are at the point where we ignore, keep walking, or if it comes down to it, be rude. They'll act offended, but they aren't. Enjoy the cruise! 

Edit: Also it's a good lesson for us all, keep your guard up and trust no one.

Edited by sk8erguy1978
Add