Door Decor Stuff

We’ve decorated our door on our two Royal and one Disney cruise with our kids (11 and 6). They have fun with it and it does help our younger one to not try to open others’ staterooms. This next cruise on Harmony we have two rooms that are spaced apart so this will be more important than ever.

Since I’m a teacher and home with the kids in these weeks leading up to the cruise, I brought my 3D printer home and started making door decorations. One door is tropical themed (flowers, suns, flip flops) while the other is ocean (fish, turtles, whales). The kids have had a blast painting all of their creations so this will be our most personal decorating yet. Hopefully people will leave them alone but at least we don’t have a lot invested if something walks. 

Door decorating is definitely more common on Disney but it’s still a personal preference. I don’t think anyone should feel pressured either way. 

12 minutes ago, LetsTryThisPlace said:

I have a 3D printer too and would be interested in what you came up with and how you're planning to mount them. (Gluing powerful magnets in the back side?)

I'll post pics after our cruise with them all up, but here are two examples.  The kids and I are obsessed with printing articulated (flexi) stuff from Thingiverse, so most are of that variety.  I always use these square magnets I got on Amazon, I just reinforce them with some Gorilla Glue to make sure they stay.  Each piece gets as many magnets as I can fit on them, and sometimes I cut them into small pieces to make it work.

IMG_7018.JPG

IMG_7019.JPG

19 minutes ago, Biff215 said:

I'll post pics after our cruise with them all up, but here are two examples.  The kids and I are obsessed with printing articulated (flexi) stuff from Thingiverse, so most are of that variety.  I always use these square magnets I got on Amazon, I just reinforce them with some Gorilla Glue to make sure they stay.  Each piece gets as many magnets as I can fit on them, and sometimes I cut them into small pieces to make it work.

IMG_7018.JPG

IMG_7019.JPG

So cute and clever.  You can tell you’re a teacher.  I have no imagination and would never have thought of this.  Well....plus the fact that I had no idea that you could just BUY a 3 D printer !  I thought those things were still experimental and only available to NASA scientists !  ??

2 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I thought those things were still experimental and only available to NASA scientists !

I would say the cheaper models are still a little experimental. Or at least takes someone who is okay with fixing things often and know it may take sometime to get right. Now available to all at home scientists (or ones who try to be at least lol)

• 3 weeks later...

Cruise Line Bans Stateroom Door Decorations

https://cruiseradio.net/cruise-line-bans-stateroom-door-decorations/

I think this just points out there are some issues with door decorations and some things can be a safety issue.

There is no indication RCCL is going this route but keep in mind it is an option if too many people "go overboard" by using flammable items, lights and so on.

On 7/29/2019 at 1:46 PM, Biff215 said:

The kids and I are obsessed with printing articulated (flexi) stuff from Thingiverse,

Okay. Those are adorable! Love the starfish. Hadn't even considered the 3D printer as an option. But then that opens a whole new world of ideas. I just thought of those Rube Goldberg machines you can affix to the wall. Maaaaaybe I can throw one of those up and then it serves as decoration but also kids can tinker with it in the hall! (I homeschool my daughter (she's 15 now) but I love the idea of an interactive design which is not a white board (for obvious reasons lol)

On 7/29/2019 at 2:08 PM, WAAAYTOOO said:

So cute and clever.  You can tell you’re a teacher.  I have no imagination and would never have thought of this.  Well....plus the fact that I had no idea that you could just BUY a 3 D printer !  I thought those things were still experimental and only available to NASA scientists !  ??

You can buy 3D printers at Best Buy now!

Back from an awesome week on Harmony!  Door decorations worked great and were a hit, particularly with our neighbor's kids who we would occasionally hear playing with them.  With our two rooms being a few doors apart, they definitely helped us all easily identify the correct door to knock on (or open) as we bounced back and forth!

Now these magnets will find a new purpose either here at home or in my classroom.

IMG_7036 cropped.jpg

IMG_7037 cropped.jpg

12 minutes ago, YOLO said:

@Biff215 & @Fuzzywuzzy  Where can I magnets like yours.  Both are awesome!  Ceil would love that!  Please let me know.  Thanks in advance!

We made them.  I have a 3D printer so we found designs on Thingiverse.com that we liked and painted them with paint markers.  Not an option for everyone obviously but it turned out awesome and at a lower cost than past decorations that we bought on Etsy.

• 4 weeks later...

I’m a first time cruiser so have no experience with this, but I am planning to decorate our door.  This cruise is a LONG overdue Mom-Daughter Cruise for myself and my Mom.  I had collage pics printed at Walgreens, bought a bunch of fun bright signage (pina colada, tropical flower cutouts) from Dollar Tree and magnet clips to hold it all.  I’m hoping to surprise my Mom ❤️

I have decided to surprise the wife and ordered the Happy Anniversary pkg.of decorations and red velvet cupcakes.  I did this for her birthday a few years ago and she loved it.  44 years and counting. She deserves it.  As far as the white  boards goes.   I can guarantee those on Anthem this week I may place a message or two.    L.O.L.      BEWARE