Door Decor Stuff

I was chit chatting with the group I am cruising with and the others are getting VERY into all sorts of things to do and bring on the ship. One couple is bringing ducks to hide and they started to go into door decorations and how we should all do this for our group.

Quite frankly, if I was alone, I wouldn't bother but they are so excited and so I promised myself I would join in all the fun and be a good team player and not a loaner like usual.

Curious to know who decorates their doors and if so, with what? I am sure I (we) are going to have to custom make stuff specific to our group so I am trying to figure out what folks usually do to get ideas. I am going to check on Pinterest and around but was wondering what folks here did and what you use to attach to the door? Those little 3M removable things?

Magnets are the way to go. Don’t use anything sticky as it’ll pull the paint off the wall and draw the ire of your cabin attendant. I’d also shy away from dry erase boards outside your door, because as with the internet, people who can be anonymous just act like idiots when they think no one is watching. 

3 minutes ago, Katibear7 said:

I just googled "decorate cruise door" and found some with just magnets but many go the extra mile. ?

Oh! So the doors are also magnetic? Good to know! They sell sheets of magnetic "sticker" paper. You just cut it to size and use the sticky side to adhere to your item and voila! Magnet stuff. That's going to be SO easy!

Best bet is to get something magnetic or buy magnet tape to attach other decorations.  Do NOT use the gel type window stickers, they stain the doors.

One of our members makes custom magnets.  @CruisingKat(Kathy) she can make personalized magnets for each door.  

I posted pictures here once of some of my recent doors, let me see if I can find the thread and I'll tag you.  It was a while ago, so may not be easy to find.  We usually use the custom magnet, then ship themed cut outs and decor from Amazon.

2 minutes ago, Andrew72681 said:

Magnets are the way to go. Don’t use anything sticky as it’ll pull the paint off the wall and draw the ire of your cabin attendant. I’d also shy away from dry erase boards outside your door, because as with the internet, people who can be anonymous just act like idiots when they think no one is watching. 

I've heard stories about the dry erase boards..... ?

36 minutes ago, KathyC said:

Best bet is to get something magnetic or buy magnet tape to attach other decorations.  Do NOT use the gel type window stickers, they stain the doors.

One of our members makes custom magnets.  @CruisingKat(Kathy) she can make personalized magnets for each door.  

I posted pictures here once of some of my recent doors, let me see if I can find the thread and I'll tag you.  It was a while ago, so may not be easy to find.  We usually use the custom magnet, then ship themed cut outs and decor from Amazon.

Thank you!

Don't put out anything that you won't care if it sprouts legs. 

In Feb I had magnets - one walked off within an hour.

In June one of the other people we were cruising with gave me a magnetic white board to put out on our door so we could leave each other messages about where we were - within 24 hours someone was defacing it - and each time I erased it, they'd return within 2 hours and deface it more.  It was frustrating.

6 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

In Feb I had magnets - one walked off within an hour.

In June one of the other people we were cruising with gave me a magnetic white board to put out on our door so we could leave each other messages about where we were - within 24 hours someone was defacing it - and each time I erased it, they'd return within 2 hours and deface it more.  It was frustrating.

Oi! Good to know people steal door decor. My wallet or bag, sure but don't think I had thought they'd steal door decor.

I've seen so many stories about the white boards that those are definitely NOT on my list as an option ?

I've always assumed that people aren't stealing them, so much as they are defacing them (i.e. taking it and throwing away or putting it on a door down the hall).

Well, perhaps there are folks who recognize the sheer inherit value of a RCBlog magnet and then want it for themselves.

I like the idea of magnetic door decorations.  I tried the dry erase boards and our girls got nice comments but we got nasty stuff that my 7 year old asked about.  For our 25th anniversary I bought a nice one with the year and hubby and my name.  Plus I bought cheap #25s and put magnets on them.  Mid-cruise one of the smaller magnets were missing.  What I would really like is one that we could use over and over not specific to that cruise.  Suggestions? 

Personalized magnets are always great, and there is a company that does a complete door magnet which are amazing.  I have been told by a few people on cruises with our Group Cruises that they love seeing all this because it helps find your room when they all look the same!

If you have a teacher supply store near your, they have some great bulletin board cut outs that can be used for very little money (or you can find the on Amazon).  Bags of pre cut magnets with glue on them already, so easy to put together once on the ship.

I have also used magnetic paper in my printer at home and made my own.  Lots of cute designs out there.

Have fun with this - its vacation!

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 7:49 PM, Andrew72681 said:

I had a good experience with magnetic erase boards on DCL. My stateroom neighbours on my last voyage had one of these. They also hung some lollipops for kids to help themselves with. My daughter picked one and we left a thank you message on the board.

Il like wandering in corridors, and I've seen many boards, none of which had been screwed up with unappropriate comments. Most of them were for family use, saying "we're on Deck 11" or "meet us at the pool at 1.30".

Maybe Disney IS a magical world, after all...

12 minutes ago, FroggyFlo said:

I had a good experience with magnetic erase boards on DCL. My stateroom neighbours on my last voyage had one of these. They also hung some lollipops for kids to help themselves with. My daughter picked one and we left a thank you message on the board.

Il like wandering in corridors, and I've seen many boards, none of which had been screwed up with unappropriate comments. Most of them were for family use, saying "we're on Deck 11" or "meet us at the pool at 1.30".

Maybe Disney IS a magical world, after all...

More likely is that there’s a lot less early 20s college kids there with drink packages. 

Just now, Andrew72681 said:

More likely is that there’s a lot less early 20s college kids there with drink packages. 

Or as with the parks there’s a secret team of cleaning ninjas that monitor the dry erase boards and fish extenders for things not cohesive to the Disney message. Those hundreds of ninjas per cruise must be why it costs 3x as much. 

We put magnets up on our door.  On large ships like Anthem it makes it a great way to immediately find your cabin if you are located really far away from the elevators.  Kind of like seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

I would say last week on Adventure maybe 30% had their doors done.  Some had birthday décor, some had magnets, some had message boards.  

4 minutes ago, FManke said:

I still don't get the whole decorate the door thing. What am I missing?

Personally? It's not something I would do.

I tend to not do many things others do in general.

I have realized that sometimes when I am in the company of others, it is good operating procedure to "play along" and "join in the fun" if it's harmless and "no skin off my back".

The group I am sailing with happens to love doing things like that. I decided as I am going with "the group" then I would not be my typical lone wolf "do what I want" self and I'd actually do the things with them and participate. So go shopping and play games and stuff like that.

From what I have gathered while perusing about decorating ideas, some say it helps them find their door/room in the long corridor. My thoughts are, "But...your door has a number on it so....?" but if you want a brightly coloured parrot or what have you to "help" then who am I to "poo poo" that idea?

I am going to put forth my opinion that it's kind of like most people having a Facebook page or a My Space (am I dating myself). They want to put forth their personality and self to stand out for others and/or for attention.

If I am cruising with my sorority sisters then I'll play along and slap some crap on my door so we can all go "yay us! Wheee" but that's part of being a Sister. Gotta do the Sister thing.

If you have not already guessed, in our group, I am kind of the "Wednesday Addams" to everyone else's "Cher Horowitz".

I do draw the line with the placing of names on the door. OMG that is the most terrible OPSEC in the world. But I am not "mom to the world" so not my place to say anything. I am out to relax on vacation, not to police the ship or crush souls.

Perhaps others can enlighten us more.

At the end of the day, I suppose it's just how some people decorate their lives. I've even seen some articles where people actually decorate inside their cabins. Again, nothing wrong with that. Just not something I'd do personally.

1 minute ago, JennyJenny said:

Personally? It's not something I would do.

I tend to not do many things others do in general.

I have realized that sometimes when I am in the company of others, it is good operating procedure to "play along" and "join in the fun" if it's harmless and "no skin off my back".

The group I am sailing with happens to love doing things like that. I decided as I am going with "the group" then I would not be my typical lone wolf "do what I want" self and I'd actually do the things with them and participate. So go shopping and play games and stuff like that.

From what I have gathered while perusing about decorating ideas, some say it helps them find their door/room in the long corridor. My thoughts are, "But...your door has a number on it so....?" but if you want a brightly coloured parrot or what have you to "help" then who am I to "poo poo" that idea?

I am going to put forth my opinion that it's kind of like most people having a Facebook page or a My Space (am I dating myself). They want to put forth their personality and self to stand out for others and/or for attention.

If I am cruising with my sorority sisters then I'll play along and slap some crap on my door so we can all go "yay us! Wheee" but that's part of being a Sister. Gotta do the Sister thing.

If you have not already guessed, in our group, I am kind of the "Wednesday Addams" to everyone else's "Cher Horowitz".

I do draw the line with the placing of names on the door. OMG that is the most terrible OPSEC in the world. But I am not "mom to the world" so not my place to say anything. I am out to relax on vacation, not to police the ship or crush souls.

Perhaps others can enlighten us more.

At the end of the day, I suppose it's just how some people decorate their lives. I've even seen some articles where people actually decorate inside their cabins. Again, nothing wrong with that. Just not something I'd do personally.

Gotcha. I'm with you. I'm not opposed to others doing it. Whatever makes you happy I say, but it's not something I would do also. It's kind of a "look at me. look at me" kind of thing I think. That's just not me. I'm happy blending into my surroundings.

Enjoy your cruise and happy door decorating! 

I don't personally decorate mine but I've been on group cruises where they decorated the door for me.  It does help make your door stand out when you're walking down a looooong corridor of doors that all look the same..don't have to pay as much attention to the room numbers and all.

I never decorated my stateroom door, but some people really do delight me with fun ideas. Some let us get to know them a little bit and I like it. I must confess I too have a "Wednesday Adams" side: I like walking in graveyards and try to imagine the family's past lives based on what is written on the tomb (family name, dates of birth/death, spouses, etc).

Last cruise my DD9 made some door magnets for us in the kids club, and we then  had many of them. No pieces of art really, but it actually helped recognize our door! I might work on one one day, I just didn't find the time to do it.

Off topic but since we are talking about magnets.  The ones that we take with us for the cabin are the heavy duty ones.  We put 2 on the balcony for our bathing suits and a few in the room to hang up our hats and tote bags.

Funny story is we purchased them on Amazon and due to the strength of the magnets someone over 21 had to sign more them.  Who knew?

Back to the regular scheduling program.

OBTW my hubby and I also like looking at the decorations even if we forget to bring our magnet it is still a marker for me.  My husband will tell you I am navigationally challenged and I need the little markers to get me where I am going.  Seriously he swears we can't take less than a 7 night cruise since it takes me that long to figure out the shortcuts that most people figure out by day 2 at lunchtime.

6 hours ago, FManke said:

Enjoy your cruise and happy door decorating! 

Thanks! It occurred to me that it's kind of like decorating for the holidays. Some folks stick a low key wreath on the door, some do nothing, and some light up the yard so you can see if from space ?

Because I'll be with my "sisters" and we already have cute matching shirts and we are even getting to attend a neat special event in Bermuda when we go (I am told, don't want to jinx it, will share if it actually works out to line up with when we are docked) then I'll join in the merriment. This particular trip is like a kind of reunion/special event so I figured I'll roll with it.

6 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

I don't personally decorate mine but I've been on group cruises where they decorated the door for me.  It does help make your door stand out when you're walking down a looooong corridor of doors that all look the same..don't have to pay as much attention to the room numbers and all.

Perhaps good also for little ones or older grandparent types that might prefer to look for decorations. Or, perhaps those who are autistic or learning disabled maybe? It occurs to me there could be a number of reasons why it might be helpful beyond general decor reasons. Just guessing at what seems logical.

6 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

Yes, this is a group thing here as well. My thoughts were that if I do not decorate my door, they will decorate it FOR me and then who knows what they will do. Better I do it myself and head off anything I'd prefer not to have hanging on my door. (My room mate and I are both single and everyone else is a married couple so there are already comments getting thrown around about finding us some romance ? )