Evening Attire (recommended vs actual)

1 hour ago, VinceC said:

Would dressier shorts be fine for MTD and Specialty restaurants during regular dining Nights.  I am bringing a Suit and a Tux for the two formal nights, but I was not really in the mood to wear slacks on the other nights.  Is it really necessary?

We're that way also. Tux and formal gown for those nights. I'm in dress shorts, button up polos, Sperrys on other nights in MDR or specialty restaurants. Have never had a problem with dining room staff. Can't answer to how others may have felt,  never had anyone directly address us.

This became a big issue this morning as we started to pack for our cruise on the Freedom this weekend.  My husband really doesn't want to dress up this cruise. He asked if he could wear nice shorts to the MDR (with a polo type shirt). It looks like he can get away with that.  For formal nights we will I guess eat at Windjammer but as I told him I am still dressing up. ? I don't get an excuse to wear my fancy dresses and heels very often. 

4 minutes ago, pezgirl said:

This became a big issue this morning as we started to pack for our cruise on the Freedom this weekend.  My husband really doesn't want to dress up this cruise. He asked if he could wear nice shorts to the MDR (with a polo type shirt). It looks like he can get away with that.  For formal nights we will I guess eat at Windjammer but as I told him I am still dressing up. ? I don't get an excuse to wear my fancy dresses and heels very often. 

@pezgirl, I'd say don't skip formal night if you really want to. If your husband doesn't want to bring a pair of Dockers type pants, which is perfectly acceptable on formal nights, don't let anybody tell you other wise, dressier type shorts are also perfectly acceptable. Don't miss out on something you want to do because of the "dress code police!" It's your cruise. Enjoy!

31 minutes ago, pezgirl said:

He's fine. No need to WJ it just because of that. (I say this as someone who dresses up.)

Looking at the Cruise Compass, dinner attire is stated as a suggestion. I know that my dad prefers to wear long khaki pants and a nice shirt and the women in my family prefer to wear a nice dress or outfit to dinner every night. What anyone else decides to wear is their decision and doesn't impact the quality of our experience in any way.

1 hour ago, FManke said:

@pezgirl, I'd say don't skip formal night if you really want to. If your husband doesn't want to bring a pair of Dockers type pants, which is perfectly acceptable on formal nights, don't let anybody tell you other wise, dressier type shorts are also perfectly acceptable. Don't miss out on something you want to do because of the "dress code police!" It's your cruise. Enjoy!

Thank you. I will still be formal but we can just eat somewhere else. ? I am the dress code police normally but you know what I am just not going to fight it this time. ?

17 hours ago, FManke said:

Eating in the MDR costs the same for everybody. It is included in all cabin fare from the smallest inside cabin to the Owners suite. Everybody is equal. I'm all for an optional "formal" dining experience for those that want to pay for that experience. 

I really liked where you were going with this equality idea.  But if my wife and I like to dress up on our cruises why should we have to pay extra for that experience?  After all we would be the ones following the RCCL rules and it would be the others who aren't.  So why shouldn't they pay to dress down?

4 hours ago, pezgirl said:

Thank you. I will still be formal but we can just eat somewhere else. ? I am the dress code police normally but you know what I am just not going to fight it this time. ?

No need to fight anything.  There will be people in shorts in the MDR on formal nights.  There will be people in the MDR in fancy clothes on casual nights.  Dress codes are only enforced by some people on the internet not in real life!

I like to wear clothes to the MDR, and though this upcoming cruise will be my first on RCL, I will wear clothes. I will normally be in capris and a t shirt, as that is what is comfortable to me, my husband will wear shorts and a t-shirt as he hates being hot. I HATE dressing up, but I will wear a dress, or nice shirt, or sometimes even a shirt and tie myself for formal night only. Last cruise (our honeymoon) we forgot to pack our nice shoes, they were still sitting near the bed when we got home, so we had to wing it... sandals or hiking shoes were our only options. It is what it is, I will wear clothes and they will cover all the important bits and if people stare, so be it. 

Again as a Barefoot Windjammer cruiser as my only point of reference, Royal's policy is the problem. A suggested dress code just creates problems, you ether have requirements or you don't. The ambiguity creates conflict, the "proper dresser crowd" is offended by the "casual  crew" and vice versa. It isn't hard to have an standard and stick to it. Partition the dinning hall and create a formal and casual side if you want compromise, or just do away with a rule that you aren't willing to enforce. Without dresscode "suggestions" these internet conflicts would largely disappear. Some folks would talk about the good old days but like so many  things today "times are a changing". My suggestion to the "Proper Crowd" is check out your hot wife in her smokin dress and to the "casual crew" try not think you are so important that everyone is judging you. See I just judged everyone....ha!

14 hours ago, foxrunner said:

Partition the dinning hall and create a formal and casual side if you want compromise

This is how NCL handles it on some of their ships.  They have two dining rooms at dinner time, one is formal all the time and one is casual.  Both serve the exact same menu.

Now that anyone/everyone can cruise, it is no longer the style of some of us.  On most nights, having dinner in the dining room, shorts are fine as they are considered dress shorts, which to me is an oxymoron,  along with a polo shirt.  Now will you see people who feel the shorts with underwaear hanging out with a tee shirt saying whatever, sure.  Is that going to ruin your dinner?

For specialty restaurants, many are casual such as Jamies or Giovanni's.  Chops is mixed in the here again, the dress shorts and polo shirts are fine. On formal night most people do get dressed up at least in pants for men with a dress shirt with or without a tie.  Most women wear dresses or pants with a dressier top.

I noticed in Jan on Allure when we went to 150 people were more dressed up that in other specialty restaurants.  Most men had on dress shirts with long pants and many had on jackets.  It was NOT a formal night, but maybe it's just a higher class restaurant.

I don't care what people wear, although, I probably do make comments to my traveling companions, but if the cruise line allows you to look like you just came from the gym or you just woke up, what's it to me?

On 7/26/2019 at 9:00 AM, AshleyDillo said:

This is how NCL handles it on some of their ships.  They have two dining rooms at dinner time, one is formal all the time and one is casual.  Both serve the exact same menu.

I love this idea.  But I bet that in the end there would still need to be rules and enforcement though.  My guess is that some formal diners wouldn't want casual diners in their restaurant AND some casual diners would not want formal diners in their restaurant.  Theoretically, depending on how you happened to be dressed on any given night, you would get steered to one of the two restaurants.  Then again, what do you do if you have a mixed group of diners?  Split them up?  ?

If Royal wants to have a dresscode they need to own it and decide were the line falls. I don't see the casual crowd caring if someone is in a tux/ballroom dress.  I'd say with the divided MDR all guests would have to meet the formal standard or be seated on the causal side. I can also see this putting the staff in a tough spot but again I don't think this suggested attire thing is making everyone happy ether.