Evening Attire (recommended vs actual)

I imagine there are several threads on this topic.  We are travelling with a couple families and looking like the guys do not want to dress up and wear pants, long sleeve shirt and especially a jacket.  I have heard that most ships have loosened up a bunch in terms of requiring jackets etc..  The guys are planning on nice shorts with button down Hawaiian type shirt with deck shoes.  The ladies are still mostly going to wear summer type dresses.  Will this work in the specialty restaurants and main dinning room?      

29 minutes ago, doubleJ said:

I imagine there are several threads on this topic.  We are travelling with a couple families and looking like the guys do not want to dress up and wear pants, long sleeve shirt and especially a jacket.  I have heard that most ships have loosened up a bunch in terms of requiring jackets etc..  The guys are planning on nice shorts with button down Hawaiian type shirt with deck shoes.  The ladies are still mostly going to wear summer type dresses.  Will this work in the specialty restaurants and main dinning room?      

Those are acceptable for your guys. In the end dress for yourself, not for others. If it's allowed by RC, others have no right telling you what to wear. If others can't enjoy their meal because people are not wearing what "they" think they should, that's on them.

Happy cruising!

25 minutes ago, doubleJ said:

Depends on the ship & restaurant.  Chops, Wonderland & Izumi recommends smart casual, which for me is a minimum of long pants for the men, with a short or long sleeve button down shirt.  For women, a summer type dress is fine, but I've found some of the restaurants to be cool/cold, so they might want to either wear something that covers the shoulders, or have a shrug or jacket to wear if they get cool. I believe Giovanni's & Jamie's are casual, so dress shorts may be ok. Can't speak to any other restaurants, as I have only been on Adventure & Anthem recently, so not familiar with other restaurants.

MDR -- they don't WANT you to wear shorts, but I don't think they kick you out unless they are along the lines of gym shorts, & even then I think some people get in with them.  "Formal" night to me means long pants as a minimum -- my DH will wear a sport coat & tie in addition to the dress shirt & pants that he wears every night to dinner. 

People will tell you wear what makes you comfortable, so keep that in mind as well.  The men might want to bring 1 pair of long pants with at least 1 dress shirt -- if they're neat, it can certainly be worn more than once.

Thanks ChessE4, I agree with your approach. We are cruising for the first time with my DW, 17 Y.O. & 20 Y.O. sons. Well, we did go on a Windjammer honeymoon cruise in the early 90's and clothing was at times optional. My question is we are travelling over New Years and are anticipating three formal nights. I'll go sport coat & tie and my wife will look dashing in a dress, but will the boys need a jacket? Will I need a suit for New Years Eve and can the boys  wear slacks and a tie?

1 hour ago, foxrunner said:

Thanks ChessE4, I agree with your approach. We are cruising for the first time with my DW, 17 Y.O. & 20 Y.O. sons. Well, we did go on a Windjammer honeymoon cruise in the early 90's and clothing was at times optional. My question is we are travelling over New Years and are anticipating three formal nights. I'll go sport coat & tie and my wife will look dashing in a dress, but will the boys need a jacket? Will I need a suit for New Years Eve and can the boys  wear slacks and a tie?

You went on a clothing optional cruise???  

I think you'll be fine on formal nights with what you said for your wife & sons.

We just came off Anthem and very few dressed for formal night. Many in shorts, t-shirts and flip flops in the MDR. I wore slacks and and polo on formal night and was better dressed than 90%. Saw one tux and a handful of jackets.

I grew up wearing a jacket and tie to school for 12 years and it still doesn’t bother me to get dressed up. That said, I’d be willing to bet that half the men in this country don’t own a suit that fits them and only buy a new one for a wedding or funeral of a close loved one. For a friend or “distant” relative it seems almost anything goes these days. 

We used to use the line, “well if you got invited to the White House you’d wear a suit”. Well that doesn’t fly anymore, regardless of political affiliation.

My pet peeve - ball caps - or any hat - being worn during dinner in the MDR but it would never ruin a meal for my family and I.

4 hours ago, ChessE4 said:

To wear short pants just because it's a personal preference is to be self-centered and disregard the experience that many others have planned for  a "fancy restaurant".  They aren't wearing suits to the WJ, so why wear shorts to the MDR on formal night?  

The gentlemen in the group I will be traveling with do the whole "proper Bermuda short" thing for formal night (as we are going to Bermuda). They wear full tie and jacket but Bermuda shorts dress socks/shoes with them. It actually looks kind of nice and sort of a tip your hat to Bermuda thing. They've been doing this on this particular cruise for some time (sounds like they go every year) and it's been well received in the MDR. But this was on a Bermuda only cruise so keep that in mind. (This is a pic I found on the internet as I don't have one of them but their wives showed me the pics when we were discussing formal nights).

BermudaShorts01.png

I find this bizarre coming from Europe where long pants is the norm for many European restaurants. In fact 70-80% of Europeans will wear a suit/tux for formal night on cruises in MDR. If you don't want to wear one that's ok just head to windjammer.

I don't get the attitude of people wanting to spoil the MDR experience on formal nights by wearing shorts and flip flops. 

Yes I get wanting to be relaxed on holiday but that's why the windjammer is there.

In saying all that we are limited by luggage allowance as we are flying in and only have 20KG and plan to shop stateside ? 

I might still hire a tux onboard has anyone else done it?

Edited by Morganno
tone was too heavy lightened up a bit :)

1 hour ago, JennyJenny said:

The gentlemen in the group I will be traveling with do the whole "proper Bermuda short" thing for formal night (as we are going to Bermuda). They wear full tie and jacket but Bermuda shorts dress socks/shoes with them. It actually looks kind of nice and sort of a tip your hat to Bermuda thing. They've been doing this on this particular cruise for some time (sounds like they go every year) and it's been well received in the MDR. But this was on a Bermuda only cruise so keep that in mind. (This is a pic I found on the internet as I don't have one of them but their wives showed me the pics when we were discussing formal nights).

BermudaShorts01.png

Yes, I remember in the 1970's and 1980's there were some very nice suits that came with shorts.  I am talking GQ style.   It is clear these gentlemen are dressed for a nice experience....somewhere.   Don't think this is the most common look today, but it respects the underlying purpose, which is to dress for a nice formal experience.

5 hours ago, foxrunner said:

I agree with@MaryCS62 -- you will be fine, and I have been on Xmas/New Year's cruises.  Please also understand I am not the wardrobe cop, I was just answering a question as honestly as I could with due consideration to what I have observed on many cruises in several locations, and what I have viewed on Matt's videos.  I hate the idea that vacationers need to go out and buy extra clothes for formal night, so I don't think men should think a coat is an absolute requirement - just try to look nice.  I believe that if at least one in the party looks nice, it helps everyone in the end.  We actually lost our suitcases on one trip, and I purchased khaki's on the ship. It was the best we could do....Thankfully we got our luggage about night four.  For this reason, whenever I fly, I always wear a sport coat.  Who knows when my checked bag will show up?

1 hour ago, Morganno said:

after reading the replies I better tell my wife not to pack anything nice since most don't care about formal nights in the US. Flip-flops and swimwear it is then for formal night <span> ?

I'd let her pack nice if she wants. I am bringing two gowns and plan to dress up because I like to do that. I'm not going to be the fashion police about it but I tend to dress "fancy" all the time any way. I wore a fancy hat to a funeral yesterday and people were rather amazed. Apparently people only wear hats to a Derby party. I wear mine out to brunch or the grocery store. If no one else wants to look elegant I don't let that stop me from dressing up.

I do what I want.

8ed149df0e26573030ffbd4251fdd6b4.jpg

Royal sets a standard and then due to consumer pressure they don't enforce it. This just makes everyone uncomfortable. Remember those Steak House Restaurants that used to cut your tie off if you came dressed too formally? On the Windjammer the Captains Dinner was Toga night and everyone was strongly encouraged to be authentic as possible. If a jacket and tie is important to Royal then have a rack of sportcoats and ties outside the MDR on formal night and give guest the option or a free pass to WJ. I'm a go with the flow guy and none off this will impact my vaca one way or another.

On FOTS last year saw a woman wearing the same outfit she had worn for zumba class ( sports shorts & Tshirt) im MDR, next night which was formal she still had same clothes on. 

There is NO rule saying shorts are not allowed, from my understanding this was done away with, its now purely a recommendation that you dont wear them. 

So wear what you want without worry, youre on vacation enjoy it best you can without worrying about what others think. 

11 minutes ago, Ray said:

On FOTS last year saw a woman wearing the same outfit she had worn for zumba class ( sports shorts & Tshirt) im MDR, next night which was formal she still had same clothes on. 

There is NO rule saying shorts are not allowed, from my understanding this was done away with, its now purely a recommendation that you dont wear them. 

So wear what you want without worry, youre on vacation enjoy it best you can without worrying about what others think. 

Just what you want to sit near at dinner - someone wearing the same clothes they wore at Zumba.  I'm sorry, but I don't even want to sit in Windjammer with sweaty, post-Zumba chick.  This is basically someone who is just giving the middle finger to every single fellow passenger.

13 hours ago, Morganno said:

In fact 70-80% of Europeans will wear a suit/tux for formal night on cruises in MDR. If you don't want to wear one that's ok just head to windjammer.

Done around 5 cruises in Europe , I must say , did not saw more suites/Tux in MDR comparing to Caribbean cruises, maybe there were from the US/other places   

We recently took two teenage grandkids on the LOS. I set the rule they could not wear shorts in the dining room- jeans, long  pants, nice shirt or top ok. To my surprise my 16 year old grandson remarked “ I feel underdressed; I should have brought another shirt.”

The second formal night he was scrounging around in his closet looking for something clean to wear since he had spilled gravy on his nice shirt. Jokingly I offered my white button up blouse. He took me up on it, rolled up the sleeves and the photo is attached. 

I believe it is a good lesson to teach young people how to dress for certain occasions. 

ACE2D4BA-B268-4E7F-A838-51357A036E74.jpeg

Usually I will come to the MDR with a button shirt and dress pants , 
When I just started to cruise I also carried a sport jacket but decided it is a waste of space in my suitcase and I can take another bottle of wine instead of it.
Official nights started long time ago when cruise were long and people were coming with tons of luggage, the cruise got lots of revenue from the photo and other items which were associate with he official night.
Today , when many people are flying to port and every luggage is chargeable and every pound cost money people trying to limit what they bring with them.
If you ask me what bothers me with people next to my table (or in the elevator or in the theater) is less what they wear but the fact some people think that using deodorants in the Caribbean/European summer  or wash their T shirt  is optional ...

19 hours ago, doubleJ said:

Shorts and a nice shirt is more than acceptable on the normal nights. I wear a pants, shirt and tie on formal nights, don’t feel obligated to do anything. Last cruise more than a handful of people seemed to wear what they were wearing that day. It’s your vacation, so enjoy it however you seem fit. 

Moderator Note:

Please refrain from name calling or other personal insults, including labeling others in a negative way based on their preferences. I'll weigh in on dress code simply by reminding everyone that simple human kindness is far more important than dress code or anyone's take on the subject. 

Thanks!

7 hours ago, monorailmedic said:

Moderator Note:

Please refrain from name calling or other personal insults, including labeling others in a negative way based on their preferences. I'll weigh in on dress code simply by reminding everyone that simple human kindness is far more important than dress code or anyone's take on the subject. 

Thanks!

Well said!

22 hours ago, tonyfsu21 said:

It’s vacation, wear what makes you happy and comfortable! Why anyone would be impacted by your choices in attire are bizarre to me. Personally, I wouldn’t bat an eye at someone wearing a ball cap, shorts, t shirt and flip flops on formal night. 

I'd love to just wear my swimming thong and wet the seat for the next person  is that ok?

Let's just scrap formal night on RC cruises then since it doesn't suit you despite there being various other venues to choose from ? talk about selfish.....

18 hours ago, monorailmedic said:

Moderator Note:

Thanks!

I agree but you do not need to ignore formal attire on formal night there are various other venues to eat from.

I would fully agree with dressing down on formal night only if the MDR is the only location to eat but it's not. I can fully understand RCI's decision not to enforce it but I feel that those choosing to ignore formal night are spoiling it for others and reserve the right to say so. 

1 hour ago, Morganno said:

I'd love to just wear my swimming thong and wet the seat for the next person  is that ok?

Let's just scrap formal night on RC cruises then since it doesn't suit you despite there being various other venues to choose from ? talk about selfish.....

Yes, scrap it. A speciality dining “formal” dining option would be better. Personally I don’t eat in the MDR so your wet thong doesn’t affect me. I do think that the “included” dining options should be free from dress codes since it is vacation and everyone should be able to dress comfortably. It’s just an opinion. 

With all the back and forth on this, personally I don't care one way or the other if there is a "formal" night or not. I can see both sides. The only thing that bothers me is the feeling of some that they have the right to tell others what they should and shouldn't be doing and or wearing. I personally haven't and don't plan in the future to wear less than a polo and Dockers on "formal" night. But that's just me. I'm sure it's not enough for others, but I really don't care. You be you and I'll be me

If RCCL is going to have a "formal" night and not enforce their own dress code and or recommendations, you should go after them. Call them. Email them. Boycott them. Let others enjoy their cruise as they see fit.

If you want it to be mandatory that guests must dress up for formal night, maybe RCCL isn't the cruise line for you. Maybe you should cruise Crystal, Viking or Azamara?

Eating in the MDR costs the same for everybody. It is included in all cabin fare from the smallest inside cabin to the Owners suite. Everybody is equal. I'm all for an optional "formal" dining experience for those that want to pay for that experience. 

On 7/21/2019 at 11:17 AM, doubleJ said:

Hey @doubleJlook what you started! Again! ?

3 minutes ago, fonemanbob said:

A guy at our table on our last cruise wore a kilt.  We all were impressed.  

What a showoff! I'm sure some people would that that was way over the top! Not me, I've always been impressed when I've seen it.

The question begs, was he a true Scotsman though?

Would dressier shorts be fine for MTD and Specialty restaurants during regular dining Nights.  I am bringing a Suit and a Tux for the two formal nights, but I was not really in the mood to wear slacks on the other nights.  Is it really necessary?

40 minutes ago, VinceC said:

Would dressier shorts be fine for MTD and Specialty restaurants during regular dining Nights.  I am bringing a Suit and a Tux for the two formal nights, but I was not really in the mood to wear slacks on the other nights.  Is it really necessary?

The real answer is none of us are arbiters of what you can or cannot wear to dinner. Royal Caribbean leaves the rules purposefully vague and rarely enforces the rules they do have, so in reality you have a lot of latitude in what to wear.