CATS - the movie ?

I know how many of us feel about Cats here so when I came across this, I could not help but to share it. Some think that the release of this movie might help it’s popularity on board Oasis...I’m thinking no. What do you think? This is beyond weird.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/19/movies/cats-trailer-reaction-scli-intl/index.html

2 hours ago, mom2mybugs said:

I actually really have liked this musical when I've seen it performed (in the theater... Haven't seen it on royal), but the movie stuff just looks creepy!  Jane

Agreed - and I've been in love with the poems and the music (with the exception of "Memories", which just doesn't fit in AT ALL).  The movie looks just uncomfortable and it'll be  hard pass for me.

Saw the musical on and off Broadway and loved it every time, in no small part because the costuming and makeup was so amazing and worked beautifully to hide the performers’ human-ness and really make them look like... you know... actual cats! I was in a seat where they came up within a few feet of me and they still pulled off the illusion wonderfully.

I feel bad for the Broadway actors who have to see this and see what’s become of their Tony Award-winning work. I can’t believe it’s from the same director who made the movie version of Les Mis and nailed it! This just looks like pure spectacle for its own sake, like he or the studio felt the only way to get “the youngs” in was to make it into something like Alice in Wonderland.

This trailer wasn’t creepy to me, but it has ensured I’ll never watch it. If I want to see humans with cat features, I’ll go to Japan and visit a maid cafe. 

10 minutes ago, Skid said:

Having seen a LOT of Broadway shows, Cats has always been one of my least liked (sorry @JLMoran and @mom2mybugs). Unfortunately, my wife really likes a lot of the movie cast members so it appears I may have to see the movie. Have mercy on me!

May the force be with you! :51_scream:

I never had the chance to see it when it was here on Broadway, but my wife did (before we met) and she loved it. Despite living just an LIRR train ride away, I haven't seen that many shows, but I've loved every show to date (Phantom, Wicked, Jersey Boys, Aladdin, Christmas Carol - MSG, Radio City Christmas Spectacular).

We will see it if/when we're able to sail Oasis and certainly give it a shot, but I'm going to pass on the movie. 

I think this is a musical that people really love or hate.  If you mess too much with it, the lovers will hate it and you won't really draw the haters in.  Just won't work... Kind of like when they made the original Dune movie (and passed out vocabulary sheets lol).  Can't believe they are going to try and re-make that one!  Jane

2 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I love Dune. The books I mean. The movie was ok but definitely hard to follow if you hadn’t read the early books.

My husband has read them all...I got bogged down after 2 or 3... But I remember being prety confused at the movie... Not sure if I read the books before or after!  Jane

I’ve read ALL of them.  I will admit they get a little weird down the line but I really love them.  It can get very confusing as everyone has a couple of names and the names of locations change from time to time.  You have to read them carefully not just skim read as I have been known to do.  Not with these books....

My second fave series are the Narnia Chronicles. I have read those about a dozen times.  I never get tired of them. I gave my daughter a bound set when she first started reading and to this day (she is 42) they are among her most precious belongings.

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

y second fave series are the Narnia Chronicle

We have read all these too... My husband loves fantasy and he's read all like to cs Lewis' other books.  Tolkien is great as well.  Actually... Getting back to the topic lol...I love TS Eliots book of practical cats as well.  But I almost always like the books better than the movies made of anything.  Jane

OOOOOOOOOk.......Could not make it through Cats on Oasis, and I was not able to make it through the trailer.....I am able to see up to 12 movies at AMC per month for "free"  I can assure you that when this comes out I won't even bother.  I usually enjoy this type of thing but this is one that I doubt that I will enjoy!  As has already been stated it looks creepy!!

20 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I’ve read ALL of them.  I will admit they get a little weird down the line but I really love them.  It can get very confusing as everyone has a couple of names and the names of locations change from time to time.  You have to read them carefully not just skim read as I have been known to do.  Not with these books....

My second fave series are the Narnia Chronicles. I have read those about a dozen times.  I never get tired of them. I gave my daughter a bound set when she first started reading and to this day (she is 42) they are among her most precious belongings.

Yes, these are great books. My personal favourite is Lord of the Rings (not the films so much - too many illogical changes). In the Narnian chronicles, I particularly enjoyed The Magician's Nephew and The Last Battle, which tend to be overlooked. I wonder if we will ever get a Dawn Treader of the Seas? Unlikely - although it could be powered by an infinite improbability drive (Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - a more humorous series of books - again, forget the film).

Back on topic, I have never seen Cats so do not have an opinion.