Empress B2B 14 nights On The Biggest Little Ship July 2019

twangster

4 minutes ago, twangster said:

Perhaps at the Chill Grill.  Chill Grill offers the same food options as the Skipper's grill.

They have three Panini type sandwiches.  Portobello & Mushroom, Shaved Rib Eye Cheese Steak and Cuban Sandwich.  The Cuban and Shaved Rib were good.  The Shaved Rib Eye is similar to a Philly Cheesesteak in concept.  I didn't try the Portobello & Mushroom sandwich.

QhYY373.jpg

I Thank You and My husband sends an even bigger thank you!!!  I love paninis but he loves them more than anyone I know!  P.S.  I'm soooo excited to get me a funnel cake first though!  All the wonderful varieties of food on Perfect Day make me so happy to see and of course eat!!!  Yummo!!!

Thanks again!  Michelle

Thanks so much for the amazing review! I am doing my first ever cruise (and going solo) in December over the new year aboard the Empress. Your blogging was the perfect way to get a feel for the ship and I’m even more exited for my trip now. ?

I know what you think of Chops, but could you talk about why you prefer the Windjammer over MDR? Is it food quality, or just the going solo aspect? Thanks!

9 minutes ago, ashonthesea said:

I know what you think of Chops, but could you talk about why you prefer the Windjammer over MDR? Is it food quality, or just the wasting solo aspect? Thanks!

When I'm solo I don't always feel like going through the full service sit down dinner service.  Don't get me wrong, the wait staff are friendly to solo guests, it's just too much sometimes.  I'm cruising a lot so spending so many nights in a dining room loses its appeal compared to when I cruised once or twice a year.

I generally like MDR food so it isn't taste, it's just easier to pop into the WJ and do a quick recon to see what's interesting.  Then I can build a salad, add some protein or a combo of a couple different proteins and be done in 20 minutes.  Then I can check out the early show or late show, find other activities going on, wander around outside seeking a sunset or do all of the above. 

It allows me much greater flexibility.  

9 hours ago, twangster said:

When I'm solo I don't always feel like going through the full service sit down dinner service.  Don't get me wrong, the wait staff are friendly to solo guests, it's just too much sometimes.  I'm cruising a lot so spending so many nights in a dining room loses its appeal compared to when I cruised once or twice a year.

I generally like MDR food so it isn't taste, it's just easier to pop into the WJ and do a quick recon to see what's interesting.  Then I can build a salad, add some protein or a combo of a couple different proteins and be done in 20 minutes.  Then I can check out the early show or late show, find other activities going on, wander around outside seeking a sunset or do all of the above. 

It allows me much greater flexibility.  

We feel like that even not solo.  12 days of heavy meals and the whole presentation was just too much. The food has been awesome but we just found we'd rather relax and read for an hour and eat at windjammer for an hour instead of 2 hours at mdr.  Jane

4 hours ago, mom2mybugs said:

We feel like that even not solo.  12 days of heavy meals and the whole presentation was just too much. The food has been awesome but we just found we'd rather relax and read for an hour and eat at windjammer for an hour instead of 2 hours at mdr.  Jane

We spent 30 days at sea over a 12 month period; by the last cruise we were sooooo done with all the food, and barely ate in the MDR at all. 

So, thanks to this friggin' wonderful live blog, I YOLO booked the November 14th. 2020 sailing of the Empress. I'm in a studio ocean view. What made me pull the trigger is there was no single supplement. I had no idea until looking at sailings last night, that the Empress had any single cabins. Thank you @twangster for taking the time to do this.

40 minutes ago, Zambia-Zaire said:

@twangsterhow long did you set your shutter to take that starry night shot? I will like to try a shot like that.

10 seconds with a small tripod. 

Full details here:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/14213-empress-b2b-14-nights-on-the-biggest-little-ship-july-2019/&do=findComment&comment=144333

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Coronadogal said:

Just did Ovation and formal nights were pretty casual. How about on the Empress? 

Formal nights on Empress are not unlike most ships in the fleet but with fewer guests the ones that wear a tux or gown will stand out in the crowd more.

I've seen pictures of the Hotel Director's table where a pinnacle was wearing short sleeve polo type shirt standing beside another guest in a tux.  As long as you don't mind being "that guy" you are fine, just know there will be people more formal than you in the MDR.

@Coronadogal Hi and welcome to the RCB forums!

Congrats on being just one cruise away from Diamond.  I have good friends on the Empress this week and can't wait to see what they have to say about her.  Based on what @twangster has to say, I wish we had her booked.  We almost did for next spring, but the dates didn't quite work for my wife's job at RISD...

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, BigD said:

Empress Question. Has anyone stayed in one of the Jr Suites in the stern of the ship. How was the balcony and did the room feel large enough. 

Welcome to the message boards!

I have not but on my multiple Empress experiences this past summer there was another guest who did.  She had to change cabins on each leg and she went between a side facing JS and an aft facing JS.  While normally aft facing is desirable, in the case of Empress the entire JS cabin is turned.  The balcony is long but narrow.  She preferred the side facing JS cabins to the aft facing JS cabins.  She also reported the aft facing JS are smaller and feel smaller.  It wasn't terrible but given the choice she would pick a side facing JS everytime she told me.