New Cruise Advise

Hi guys i had a quick question this will be my second cruise i go on my first one was back on march 2019 symphony of the seas i ended up loving.   Now i booked one for oct 26-nov2 with my wife kinda nervous due to hurricane weather anybody else sailed during that time what can i expect.  Also i booked my flights leaving the night before and getting to miami at 5am embarkation day i dont know if thats pushing it and should change it ?  I would appreciate any advice,

19 minutes ago, rickyz23 said:

Hi guys i had a quick question this will be my second cruise i go on my first one was back on march 2019 symphony of the seas i ended up loving.   Now i booked one for oct 26-nov2 with my wife kinda nervous due to hurricane weather anybody else sailed during that time what can i expect.  Also i booked my flights leaving the night before and getting to miami at 5am embarkation day i dont know if thats pushing it and should change it ?  I would appreciate any advice,

The book answer is to give yourself an extra day (arrive the day before and stay in a hotel), but I have traveled from US to Europe twice and arrived on the day of departure.  In either event, you will want trip insurance.   That is your protection against airline errors, bad weather, car accident en route, medical emergency, and so forth.  We always get trip insurance, but not necessarily from Royal Caribbean.  We survived plane problems, train breakdowns, missing flight crews, and still made our departures.

Welcome to the message bards!

Arriving the day of the cruise is risky any time of year.  I missed a cruise in April when unexpected thunderstorms caused an issue.  I cruise often, many have gone perfectly.  What could go wrong?  Doh!  I missed the ship.  If you can make an arrival the day before work the cost of a hotel is well worth it.

Late October is the tail of hurricane season but stuff can happen.  I'd suggest you look into travel insurance just in case.

Having said that, the vast majority of all cruises, all year go on time and as scheduled.  

I've cruised in October many times before and enjoyed them all, hurricane free although one time a hurricane nearly impacted a cruise. Instead it hit Freeport.   Like they say with stocks, past performance is not a guarantee of future results.  

I would never fly in the day of a cruise. I'm not a pessimist per se, but I am a what if guy. I also concur with both @twangsterand @ChessE4that travel insurance is a must. The only thing worse than something happening that causes you to miss your cruise, is too loose all your money you have already invested. Buy it and hope you don't have to use it.

Happy cruising!

Since I live within several hours from four of the cruise ports that I cruise out of I am able to drive to the port the day of embarkation, but if I had to fly to the port of departure I would make sure that I flew into the port of departure @ least 1 day before and stayed in a hotel that night. 

If for some reason the plane is delayed and the plane does not takeoff or land on time and the airline lost your luggage, and if you had to go pack to the airport to pick up your lost luggage on embarkation day then you would have enough time to get to the airport to pickup you missing/lost luggage, and you would also have enough time to get to the cruise terminal to go through security, checkin, and board the ship. 

My very first cruise was from port of west palm beach to FreePort, Bahamas durning the Middle of July which is in Hurricane season.

Hurricane season is all summer from June 1st (Hurricane season really picks up in late July through the end of October) to November 30th. Hurricane season is in the JASON (July, August, September, October, and November) months.

Port of west palm beach is 1.5 hours north of port Miami, port everglades is 40 minutes north of port Miami.

I have booked a cruise for November 2020 but since my cruise is at the very end of hurricane season there will not be any more hurricanes after hurricane season has ended.

Edited by Bakerette

Just our "take" on hurricanes: we were on a ship that suffered through serious fringes of a hurricane, and things got very dicey. Hurricanes also cause ships to skip scheduled ports.  Our plans now include not sailing during hurricane season - OR - traveling outside of the hurricane zone.  Think Europe, Alaska, riverboats and so forth.