Tanning before cruise questions.

Hi.  I'm going on my first Caribbean cruise in December and thinking about getting a tan before I go.  I'm pretty dark now because of summer except for my stomach and back.  If I'm not tan I can burn but once I am tan I don't burn.  I went into a local tanning place and asked them what I should do.  The lady said to start in October.  Is that to early or to late?  I might not be able to go that much in October because of work.  So September might be a good time to start with a little in October and full time in November.   How many times per week do you go?  I forget to ask.  Thoughts?

45 minutes ago, TravisMA81 said:

I still can burn with sunblock when my skin's white.  I just don't want to get too burnt.

I concur with @Chaosgirl426 You want to protect yourself from UV radiation, so spend less time in direct sun, use higher formula sun block, or simply cover up.  It's kind of a lifestyle decision - when you are in your late 60's or older you will want to have good skin... When I am in any sort of water I make it a point to wear a special T-shirt with UV resistance.

I'm going to have to concur with the masses and say get a good sunblock and apply LIBERALLY.  Then after an hour, apply more.  And then more.  That's how people get burned with sunblock.  Then after sun, moisturize!  Your skin will thank you.

I used to be a tan before I sunned type.  So if you MUST sit in a tanning bed, try the ones with the quartz lenses.  They reduce the amount of time you're exposed to UV.  I'd go for about 5-7 minutes, once a week for 4 weeks, then 10 minutes, once a week for 4 more weeks.  That should get you a decent enough of a base tan with minimal UV exposure and minimal UV damage.  But that doesnt absolve you of your sunblock responsibility!  Even with your base tan, sunblock sunblock sunblock!!  And after sun, moisturize!!  Like, a LOT.  Slather that stuff on.  A good quality sunblock of a minimum SPF30, and then a moisturizer like my personal favourite Body Drench  (used to be sold a lot at tanning salons for post tan moisturization)  

We live in MO, cruised in Dec both times, pale as can be. However, with my husband suggesting we apply sunscreen before leaving our room followed with lots of reapplication, we have enjoyed getting a little color without burning. With a friend who has already (in her 30s) gotten Melanoma, better safe than sorry is my suggestion. 

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 6:39 PM, TravisMA81 said:

Hi.  I'm going on my first Caribbean cruise in December and thinking about getting a tan before I go.  I'm pretty dark now because of summer except for my stomach and back.  If I'm not tan I can burn but once I am tan I don't burn.  I went into a local tanning place and asked them what I should do.  The lady said to start in October.  Is that to early or to late?  I might not be able to go that much in October because of work.  So September might be a good time to start with a little in October and full time in November.   How many times per week do you go?  I forget to ask.  Thoughts?

So I will answer as you sound like me when it comes to this. Growing up my skin was very fair, I would burn soo easily. My parents kept lots of sunblock on me(I don't think I ever got a tan as a child..lol)

For my honeymoon booked first trip south...I was worried about the same thing..so I did some tanning..started it very slow and short sessions..... Always worked for me and after 25 trips/cruises south I have never burned! I would usually do 2-3 sessions a week for about 4 -6 weeks before my trip.

So the key for me is to have a base an before I go...and living in Canada, I don't have a tan from Oct-June so only option is to do some tanning sessions before a trip south.

While I know that tanning may not be good...burning the first day of a trip and ruining the rest of it is no fun and a deep burn is defn not good for your skin either.

Now to be honest I tan quite easily and don't burn at all...SPF4 is usually what I wear now so perhaps my body has built up a tolerance for the sun after all these trips......good luck!

46 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

So I will answer as you sound like me when it comes to this. Growing up my skin was very fair, I would burn soo easily. My parents kept lots of sunblock on me(I don't think I ever got a tan as a child..lol)

For my honeymoon booked first trip south...I was worried about the same thing..so I did some tanning..started it very slow and short sessions..... Always worked for me and after 25 trips/cruises south I have never burned! I would usually do 2-3 sessions a week for about 4 -6 weeks before my trip.

So the key for me is to have a base an before I go...and living in Canada, I don't have a tan from Oct-June so only option is to do some tanning sessions before a trip south.

While I know that tanning may not be good...burning the first day of a trip and ruining the rest of it is no fun and a deep burn is defn not good for your skin either.

Now to be honest I tan quite easily and don't burn at all...SPF4 is usually what I wear now so perhaps my body has built up a tolerance for the sun after all these trips......good luck!

Thank you.  That was an answer I was looking for.  I'm a farmer in the midwest and have a very dark farmer tan (literary) now but it will fade by December.  Also that part I'm concerned about is my back and chest.  That area hasn't seen sun for years.  I would think doing some tanning sessions wouldn't be any worse than being outside everyday from March to November like I am.  I try to use sunscreen but I only put it on once and don't reply like I will on my trip.

20 minutes ago, TravisMA81 said:

I try to use sunscreen but I only put it on once and don't reply like I will on my trip. 

My unsolicited advice - Don't underestimate the sun's rays. My ethnicity is mostly Italian with a little middle eastern thrown in. In the summer I go from olive skinned to quite dark if I don't watch it. My coloring in the past has made people question my race. I tan VERY easily. Saying that, if I don't use sunscreen religiously I burn. Once a day does not cut it. Yes, it's annoying but so is sunburn and subsequent peeling which is unarguable worse. I wear 50 and still get a great summer tan.

I'm not trying to be a pain in the butt, just keep this in mind. Do what you will and enjoy your vacation.

41 minutes ago, ellcee said:

My unsolicited advice - Don't underestimate the sun's rays.

^^^^This. If it happens to be somewhat cloudy do not make the mistake of thinking you are safe from burning. Not seeing the sun shining brightly upon you doesn't mean that the UV ray's are not just as harmful. Some of the worst sunburns I have seen were on cloudy days.

As a very fair skinned Alaskan, who has been hospitalized for sunburn in the past, I worked out a plan for my tanning with my doctor. I've had bad reactions to certain sunblock's in the past so it was like I had put cooking oil on my skin before sun exposure.  I start at least 2 months before the planned trip to sunny destinations and very slowly build up to a maximum of 10 minutes twice a week.  This gives me enough of a base that with sunblock I won't fry.  I'm going on my first cruise May 23, 2020 (Venice, Croatia, Montenegro & Greece) and I will start tanning in mid-March.

Having had numerous skin cancer removal surgeries I would simply say : No tanning beds, SPF 50 or greater, zinc and a big floppy hat.  Having lIved in Florida and now moving back. I respect the sun and fear the scalpel.  I  get tanned on every cruise but not burned like a lot of people do.  It is all about respect for Mother Nature.

Yup, I got Basal Cell Carcinoma (so have my mom & dad).  I grew up in SoCal, LOVED tanning.  I've lived in the PNW for about 20 years now so I was pretty pasty most of the year, but I still got skin cancer a few years back.  Now, no more tanning beds. I do the spray tanning before going to the tropics, wear SPF 50 or greater ( with reapplication)  & a floppy hat.  I still wind up getting a tan.  But I won't even do a base tan anymore in a bed, because having your face dug into with a scalpel 3 times while they keep seeing if there is more cancer to get rid of was not worth how awesome you look brown or how convenient tanning is.  Luckily, mine was not melanoma and I had an amazing surgeon and very determined eyebrows :15_yum: :13_upside_down: