Wifi and texting

Yes, as long as your cell phone and provider support wifi calling.  

True SMS text messaging is a cellular function.  Wifi calling emulates a cell tower over the internet.  That is how SMS text messaging can work when wifi calling is enabled and connected.

iMessage, Whatapp and FB messenger are applications that allow chat over the internet.  iMessage can fall back to SMS text messaging when the other party isn't using an Apple device if there is a cellular connection including wifi calling.

Surf supports wifi calling and chat applications.  Sending pictures by text over Surf will take longer compared to sending them using Surf and Stream. 

55 minutes ago, twangster said:

Yes, as long as your cell phone and provider support wifi calling.  

True SMS text messaging is a cellular function.  Wifi calling emulates a cell tower over the internet.  That is how SMS text messaging can work when wifi calling is enabled and connected.

iMessage, Whatapp and FB messenger are applications that allow chat over the internet.  iMessage can fall back to SMS text messaging when the other party isn't using an Apple device if there is a cellular connection including wifi calling.

Surf supports wifi calling and chat applications.  Sending pictures by text over Surf will take longer compared to sending them using Surf and Stream. 

Huh? My head hurts just reading this. I'm old!

5 minutes ago, bramms24 said:

honestly no idea. wife generally just tells me when to have bags packed lol. i know it’s out of orlando and goes to PR, bahamas and st martin i think 

Sounds like Harmony.  If so, Harmony has a hidden unpublished feature.  iMessage works for free, but only to other Apple users.  They can be on land or on the ship.  Just connect to the ship's wifi and iMessage should work.  

2 hours ago, bramms24 said:

If we get the basic vroom surf package, will be able to text our kids at home while we are on the ship, or so we need to upgrade to the vroom plus streaming package?

We used the basic Voom package, and it worked fine.  We even had regular phone service in some ports (Sprint).