Speciality Restaurants Costs Ovation of the Seas

no1bossman

Big thanks in advance to all of the active people on the forums ?

We know the ultimate dining package is not for us.  But the 3 night dining package seems worth while?  Based on all of this I have a few questions ?

• Can we stop the courtesy reservation for night 1 or 2?  We intend on embarkment day to book one of the speciality restaurant for night 2.
  • For the fixed price restaurants is there a way to determine the price?  Does the price included in our trip planner provide a good indication of the actual cost on the boat?  I'm sure it's a little discounted prior to the cruise?  I know a lot factors go into play, like dates, boats etc.  So any thoughts from prior experiences is all I'm really after.
  • For the fixed price restaurants how many meals can we order?  It seems like you can order as many as you like from what I've found online.
  • What are our options, and how do we go about ordering a birthday cake to be consumed in a speciality restaurants?

@no1bossmanI am following this topic, For  Question 2, I don't think it is discounted but I might be wrong, also the price on the Cruise Planner (if you buy it now) Will be the price you will pay. For Question 3, The answer is Yes, Even in the Main Dining Room, you can order what ever meals you want. IDK the answers to 1 or 4 but I am following as I speak.

Ok, I clicked on this thread due to the topic.  We sailed Ovation for 11 days and had Star Class so we tried all of the specialty restaurants at least once.  Unfortunately we can give our feedback on the food and experience but nothing really related to your questions.  After you have the questions about booking and such, if you are looking for other details I’ll watch this and share.

10 hours ago, no1bossman said:

Can we stop the courtesy reservation for night 1 or 2?  We intend on embarkment day to book one of the speciality restaurant for night 2.

When you get on board you can stop at any of the specialty restaurants or at kiosk in the esplanade and ask about setting up your specialty dining.  The policy is that you pick the time when you book the package in the cruise planner but they will chose the restaurant.  Usually they are accommodating and are willing to let you choose which one you would like to dine in, but they do not have to do so.  I have rarely seen someone report back that it wasn't allowed.

For the fixed price restaurants is there a way to determine the price?  Does the price included in our trip planner provide a good indication of the actual cost on the boat?

If the cruise planner has a banner stating a percentage off, that's the percentage off of the on board price so you could effectively back into calculating what the on board charge is.  Rarely will they offer discounts on board -- perhaps a restaurant isn't selling particularly well or sometimes after you dine they may offer a return customer discount.  It's hit or miss and can't really be planned for.  You can even ask at a restaurant and see what they say about it.  

For the fixed price restaurants how many meals can we order?  It seems like you can order as many as you like from what I've found online.

Typically one entree per person.  Unlimited appetizers, sides, and desserts.  If you are undecided between several entrees they may let you get an extra one to share among the table, but again it isn't policy.

What are our options, and how do we go about ordering a birthday cake to be consumed in a speciality restaurants?

This is something you have to ask about at the specialty restaurant ahead of time.  They do offer a birthday package including a cake in the cruise planner, but that's for delivery to your cabin and not the restaurant.  The specialty restaurants themselves usually aren't equipped to do up the birthday cakes on special request but they will often decorate a plated dessert from their restaurant if you ask.  The main dining room is where I've typically seen the birthday cakes come out.  So basically try to ask about it when you get on board at the restaurant and see what they can come up with for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all of the responses.  I did some more research.  In relation to point one.  It seems that these courtesy bookings are just placeholders, which can be changed when on board.

As a general note regarding the ship I found some Australian centric videos which discuss the dining arrangements.  FYI I thought some of you might find it of some interest.  Actually I found this YouTube's videos to be quite good, especially he's video on the drink packages. 
https://www.cruisecritic.com.au/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=985&pgtype=dining
https://youtu.be/_taCtsoZP8U

Cheers.

I've discovered the vast majority of my questions are related to the lack of content in my cruise planner.  My trip isn't till April next year, and anything beyond the dining, drink, and or Internet packages are just not available yet.

Only advice I can offer from my experience on OV and dining packages is to book them ASAP!

As soon as we got on OV it was straight to Jamie's Italian to book all our speciality dining reservations for that said cruise.

On both occasions alot of people who had UDP and 3night weren't able to book certain speciality dining restaurants at the time they wanted for the day they wanted, as it is very popular on this ship.

Also why book at Jamie's? It's the least busy that's why.....easy!

And yes I ordered multiple dishes and I felt like a glutton but oh well your on holidays right!