Mystery Dinner Theater

DunkelBierJay

We are sailing Freedom on May 29. I saw some decent comments about Mystery Dinner Theater on some other sites, but only found one comment about it on this forum, and it wasn't entirely positive. I booked it to ensure a space, but I am unsure if this is worth the money, especially on the first night of the cruise when I know that I will miss the first night in the MDR with my teenager kids who will be on their first cruise. Any thoughts?

I found the MDT to be a hoot.  My husband hated it.  It all depends on whether you enjoy that kind of interactive theater or not.  Just as a point of reference, my husband could NOT get out of Cats FAST ENOUGH on the Oasis last January.  There is NO WAY he was going back for the second half after intermission....so he's not what you would consider a "theater lover" to begin with.

I recall that there is a fixed menu.  I can't recall exactly what it was.  Passable - nothing to rave about.

Can't remember what we paid for the MDT or what they are charging these days (it's been a few years ago).  I personally would recommend it but if you are encountering resistance from anyone, I would probably pass. It's not worth having to listen to "...that's 2 hours of my life that I will never get back..." for the rest of the cruise - and beyond.

:)

I found the MDT to be a hoot.  My husband hated it.  It all depends on whether you enjoy that kind of interactive theater or not.  Just as a point of reference, my husband could NOT get out of Cats FAST ENOUGH on the Oasis last January.  There is NO WAY he was going back for the second half after intermission....so he's not what you would consider a "theater lover" to begin with.

I recall that there is a fixed menu.  I can't recall exactly what it was.  Passable - nothing to rave about.

Can't remember what we paid for the MDT or what they are charging these days (it's been a few years ago).  I personally would recommend it but if you are encountering resistance from anyone, I would probably pass. It's not worth having to listen to "...that's 2 hours of my life that I will never get back..." for the rest of the cruise - and beyond.

:)

Yeah! What she said. My wife thought it was ok and I hated it. I personally believe that the Royal Caribbean Singers and Dancers are a bit weak in their acting skills and they are the interactive performers for this one night a week event in Giovanni's Table. I was embarrassed for them. One of the waiters kept whispering clues into my ear but he was unaware that I was deaf in that ear so it just seem to me like some stranger was blowing in my ear while the "talent" was practicing their bad accents. I would be two steps ahead of your husband if my wife was to book this again. We did like the food and we went back for more on subsequent nights.  

My friend did it when she was on Navigator last year - she said it was really enjoyable and it seemed very intentionally 'over the top' and cheesy'. However, she noted that some other diners she was with had an incredibly bad attitude and were obnoxious about the whole thing and sort of put a damper on the experience (if I'm recalling correctly). Apparently, at one point, one of the actors had to break character to get them to calm down. After chatting with the actors when the dinner was over, it seems like this kind of thing happens fairly often. 

I guess it is what you make of it, and depends how much you enjoy that kind of thing! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been to it twice. Yes, do not expect great acting it's just something a little different to do. We enjoyed it. I am going on the freedom in October and noticed that the price went up, it's not worth the extra $20 it would cost us, we can definitely use that $130 somewhere else this time. But one good thing is that they give you as much wine as you want. Didn't really matter for us since we get the drink package but for someone that doesn't have a drink package and likes to have wine with dinner while watching a show, it's a good deal.