Electrical outlet in cabin bathroom?

I sleep with a nightlight in the bathroom that shares a low level of light with the bedroom. Is there an electrical outlet in the cabin bathrooms, and can the bathroom door be kept ajar? Or should I bring a battery-operated night-light? Leaving the bathroom light on all night would be too bright, but I don't want to have to deal with total darkness, either.

There is an outlet (at least one) in the bathroom. It may be marked "for shavers only" but I know a nightlight will work there.

As for leaving the door open, I wouldn't recommend it. You are still going to get some motion on the ship, even on calm days, and there is nothing more terrifying that being jolted awake because the door slammed shut at 3am!

There is normally a bit of light in even the inside cabins because of the power button on the TV. Perhaps that will help?

I really like the battery operated tea lights so you don't take up any electrical outlets and can put them wherever you need some more light.  You can get a package of them pretty cheap at Walmart or on Amazon and put them in various places around your cabin.  Even the paintings on the wall stick out about 1" so they make a good spot to put a couple on the top edge, and it casts a soft glow on the wall and ceiling.  We had about four of them lit up each night, and switched them off in the morning.

7 hours ago, Brobbins246 said:

I really like the battery operated tea lights so you don't take up any electrical outlets and can put them wherever you need some more light.  You can get a package of them pretty cheap at Walmart or on Amazon and put them in various places around your cabin. 

You can get a pair of these at just about any Dollar Tree store for $1. We kept one in the bathroom and I was surprised that just one lasted all seven nights.

They are nice to have for those night time bathroom visits so you don't have to blind yourself or disturb your spouse with sudden intense light.

2 hours ago, SPS said:

You can get a pair of these at just about any Dollar Tree store for $1. We kept one in the bathroom and I was surprised that just one lasted all seven nights.

They are nice to have for those night time bathroom visits so you don't have to blind yourself or disturb your spouse with sudden intense light.

These work great and they are cheap and disposable. Last cruise we were on Serenade and they did have an outlet for a shaver.  I don't remember why but I though it was mentioned somewhere that it wasn't supposed to be used for anything but razors. Different voltage maybe?

We just kept our bathroom light on and the door open a bit.  We have 2 kids and wanted to make sure they could find the bathroom during the night if needed.  Although the door did sway a bit a couple nights, it just went a bit more ajar and wasn't an issue.  I think I put a pillow or something so it would stop it from opening a bit more .

2 hours ago, SPS said:

9 hours ago, Brobbins246 said:

I really like the battery operated tea lights so you don't take up any electrical outlets and can put them wherever you need some more light.  You can get a package of them pretty cheap at Walmart or on Amazon and put them in various places around your cabin.  Even the paintings on the wall stick out about 1" so they make a good spot to put a couple on the top edge, and it casts a soft glow on the wall and ceiling.  We had about four of them lit up each night, and switched them off in the morning.

2 hours ago, SPS said:

I really like this idea, and would not have thought of it!! The perfect solution, and they don't cost much, in fact I believe I have a few of them! Thank you!

6 hours ago, FManke said:

I don't remember why but I though it was mentioned somewhere that it wasn't supposed to be used for anything but razors. Different voltage maybe?

They give razor as an example but the intention is the outlet in the bathroom can only be used by low power devices.  Hair dryers and flat irons will pop the breaker because they draw too much power.  You have to use the outlets by the desk for those products.

3 minutes ago, Atlantix2000 said:

They give razor as an example but the intention is the outlet in the bathroom can only be used by low power devices.  Hair dryers and flat irons will pop the breaker because they draw too much power.  You have to use the outlets by the desk for those products.

Gotcha, so a night light would work just fine.

30 minutes ago, FManke said:

Gotcha, so a night light would work just fine. 

The shavers plug's power is tied to the light.  When the light is off so is the power to the shavers plug.  Night light should be just a basic part of the light fixture.  There in most hotel bathrooms.  Engineering failure, especially since you have to step up to enter the bathroom. 

21 minutes ago, Clear Laker said:

The shavers plug's power is tied to the light.  When the light is off so is the power to the shavers plug.  Night light should be just a basic part of the light fixture.  There in most hotel bathrooms.  Engineering failure, especially since you have to step up to enter the bathroom. 

Then I'll be sure to bring a battery-powered nightlight.

• 4 years later...