Best Place for Day at the Beach

attawaydh

We're cruising Liberty in May and looking at different excursions for Cayman, Jamaica, and Cozumel Beach. This is the first cruise for me and my teens, hubby has been on a couple many years ago.  Which would be the best place (and safest) for a day at the beach? We'd like to be near restaurants and shopping but not too far from where we port. I've heard horror stories in the past about cab drivers, people not making back to ship in time, etc. I've had a couple of people tell me not do do anything outside of "group excursions"
through the ship. Don't laugh, but is it really safe? I did read one post suggesting Paradise Beach in Cozumel. How far is that? I appreciate any suggestions/advice  :).

The only port where there is any real "danger" (and I use that word very loosely) would be Jamaica (not sure if you are going to Ocho Rios or Falmouth...probably Falmouth) but with Jamaica I would definitely stick with organized tours.  I have done a little venturing out on my own in Jamaica and it can be hit or miss.  The other ports you mentioned are very safe.  Many of the excursions from Falmouth involve a rather long drive since most of the "attractions" have developed around the Ocho Rios areas...since Falmouth is a relatively new port, it hasn't had time to "grow" as much...so just be mindful that some of the more popular attractions (Dunn's River Falls, etc.) are quite a distance away.  The only beach events I have done in Jamaica was a day pass to a resort (Iberostar) but that would be very pricey for a family...so I can't really make any beach recommendations for Jamaica.  I'm sure there are plenty of good ones.

Grand Cayman is expensive.  There are a couple of very fun restaurants within walking distance of the ship if you don't want to do an organized tour.  I can't remember the names of the restaurants.  I am always envious of those who can recount the names of restaurants in these various ports.  They all run together for me after a while.  But there are lots of things to do.  The "teens" would probably enjoy going to Hell...always a fun thing to tell their friends. I can't really say there's that much in Hell, really, but it's fun for the kids.  I absolutely loved visiting the turtle farm.  Doesn't sound very exciting but it's quite an operation.  It may seem lame to the kids.

Cozumel is the quintessential cruise port - lots to do, plenty of options.

Paradise Beach is pretty close.  Maybe 15 minutes from port.  I always suggest to people that if they are considering Paradise Beach, just go directly next door to San Francisco Beach, which is completely free.  Same beach - just a little further down. 

Cozumel can be very crowded.  You can go to http://ports.cruisett.com and find out how many ships are going to be in Cozumel when you are there.  If there are more than a couple (and there almost always are), you might consider something like Nachi Cocom, which is a beach getaway that limits the number of people to 100 for the day.  Again, this isn't a cheap option.  We paid $55 per adult but that includes food and drinks plus lounge chairs and maybe snorkeling gear (I might be wrong about that....can't remember).  Depending upon how old the "teens" are, they may get a price break but I wouldn't count on that.  You also must pay for transportation to and from the site.  While this is a bit pricey, it will guarantee that you will have a limited number of people to compete with.  Worth the money, to me.

Personally I am done with Jamaica. This is a port where we stay on the ship now.

Grand Cayman has the ever popular 7 mile Beach. Easy to get to and totally safe.

Our favorite excursion in Cozumel is Isla de Pasion. This is a short bus ride and an even shorter ferry ride to an uninhabited island off of Cozumel. Interesting fact about Isla de Pasion: This is where ad companies shoot Corona beer commercials, you know, a whole new latitude and such. Last western cruise we went on last year did not offer this but I think it was because we were on a complete charter (whole Brilliance OTS) with special celebrity outings. (Note: I just googled this one and it may be more heavily commercialized that I remember from a few years ago)

We had a very good experience at Mr. Sancho's in Cozumel. For $55 per adult, less for kids, everything is included (a la carte food, drinks, kayaks, etc.). About $20 for the cab each way and only 10-15 minutes away. We didn't have any issues with traffic.

Another vote for Nachi Cocom. I visited with my 17 yr old son and 11 yr old daughter. No issues ..no problems. http://www.cozumelnachicocom.com/ The place is clean and safe .. and the staff was very accommodating to us. I would recommend the snorkeling trip they offer too .. by far the best I've experienced. No issues getting back to the ship either .. always a cab waiting, or the desk will call one for you. Enjoy!

Cozumel I would have no issues jumping in a cab and heading downtown to wander around, do some sightseeing, shopping..grab some food and drinks with no issues or worries at all.

Jamaica  prob not so much. Very pushy and aggressive. I have only done organized tours there and even then encountered aggressive and pushy ppl including lots of drugs.

Have yet to visit Cayman....will be in a cpl weeks. From all I have read and heard very safe, but overall expensive.

I have done Nachi Cocum 3 weeks ago and agree with the above comments ! 

Taxi is 17 $ from the international cruise port, the place is clean and it's all inclusive. 

But it is not a party place. No loud music, no party's. The food and the service is great.

• 3 years later...
On 1/25/2016 at 1:30 PM, WAAAYTOOO said:

The only port where there is any real "danger" (and I use that word very loosely) would be Jamaica (not sure if you are going to Ocho Rios or Falmouth...probably Falmouth) but with Jamaica I would definitely stick with organized tours.  I have done a little venturing out on my own in Jamaica and it can be hit or miss.  The other ports you mentioned are very safe.  Many of the excursions from Falmouth involve a rather long drive since most of the "attractions" have developed around the Ocho Rios areas...since Falmouth is a relatively new port, it hasn't had time to "grow" as much...so just be mindful that some of the more popular attractions (Dunn's River Falls, etc.) are quite a distance away.  The only beach events I have done in Jamaica was a day pass to a resort (Iberostar) but that would be very pricey for a family...so I can't really make any beach recommendations for Jamaica.  I'm sure there are plenty of good ones.

@WAAAYTOOO Did you enjoy the Iberostar? We are considering it as it is in the CP, but I've seen many good things said about Hilton Rose Hall. OR! Should we have a ship day? We've done the Green Grotto Caves. It was nice, but Missouri caves are our thing, so don't need to do that one again. What are your thoughts about the Iberostar?

6 minutes ago, Baked Alaska said:

@WAAAYTOOO Did you enjoy the Iberostar? We are considering it as it is in the CP, but I've seen many good things said about Hilton Rose Hall. OR! Should we have a ship day? We've done the Green Grotto Caves. It was nice, but Missouri caves are our thing, so don't need to do that one again. What are your thoughts about the Iberostar?

We LOVED Iberostar.  It was lovely....but not at the price that we paid (it was well over $300 just for the 2 of us).  I see that it is now in the CP and at a much reduced price.  I don't know what's included in the CP excursion but if it includes access to the pool and beach and includes food and drinks....I say it would be a good deal.  I don't remember if the one in the CP had trans to the property or not.  We took a cab (they had a limo pick-up service but it was a ridiculous price which we declined).  The driver told us that Iberostar is closer to the ship than Sandals (our original destination).  Iberostar has really fun lazy river which looked like a lot of fun.  I could never get onto the float without capsizing so I don't know exactly HOW much fun it was but I can guess.  I do recommend the property.  The price, and what is included, would be the discriminator for me.

On 1/25/2016 at 12:49 PM, attawaydh said:

We're cruising Liberty in May and looking at different excursions for Cayman, Jamaica, and Cozumel Beach. This is the first cruise for me and my teens, hubby has been on a couple many years ago.  Which would be the best place (and safest) for a day at the beach? We'd like to be near restaurants and shopping but not too far from where we port. I've heard horror stories in the past about cab drivers, people not making back to ship in time, etc. I've had a couple of people tell me not do do anything outside of "group excursions"
through the ship. Don't laugh, but is it really safe? I did read one post suggesting Paradise Beach in Cozumel. How far is that? I appreciate any suggestions/advice  :).

Grand Cayman, go to the 7 Mile beach as recommended by @RichBuckeye , perfectly safe.

Jamaica, go to "resortforaday.com", look at Hyatt Ziva, took my Grandson there last year and he said it was the best stop of the whole trip, we were also on Liberty, same itinerary. This was very safe and organized and back in plenty of time before the ship all aboard. Either stay in the port or go on a group excursion.

Cozumel, Nachi Cocom or Mr. Sancho's, both limit the number of people, Nachi is more laid back, relaxation, Mr. Sanchos has more toys for the kids. Food edge goes to Nachi IMO. Cozumel is 100% safe, taxi's are perfectly safe and plentiful, as others have mentioned $17-20 taxi ride (For 2 people) to Nachi, 15-20 minute ride. At Nachi you will have your own dedicated server, if you tell them what time you want to leave to go back to the ship they will have a taxi waiting for you, assuming there are not several just waiting anyway.