Switching rooms

Shauna

We have 2 rooms booked next to each other for me, my husband and 3 kids. We weren’t able to get connecting rooms since they were all booked but ours does connect to one on the other side. I have called but they said they won’t contact the person to see if they’d be willing to switch. The rooms are all the exact same. Has anyone had any luck with getting them to try to contact someone to switch rooms? Or possibly doing it once they’re onboard? I know it’s a long shot but we’d love to have the door in between with the kids. It makes it so much nicer. 

I've never been approached to change rooms and I can see why they don't want to open this door.  There would be an endless line of people asking them to ask another guest to move for one reason or another.  it would become a significant effort requiring a lot of labor.  

In some cases the cabins might be a different category such as 8D versus 4D even though they are connecting.  This is often the case when one cabin can hold additional passengers but the other can't.  Changing categories requires re-pricing at current rates.  That might end up costing quite a bit.  

Keep checking around the ship, maybe something will open up and you can move both cabins.  

This happens a lot.  Within the agency we will look at our bookings to see if we can help, but Royal does not contact clients about moving in this situation unless they made the mistake that created the non connecting rooms.  I have had some clients that had older kids that used the balcony as the connecting door for the rooms.  But always check back to see if they become available, because you never know until after final payment if those rooms are really going.  Also, if you are more flexible with your room type you might be able to find connecting.  But as you can imagine, connecting go early.

4 hours ago, Shauna said:

Thank you for your replies. Yes, we’ve learned they book up fast. I wish RC would save connecting rooms for people who actually use them. 

Given that they do not verify/save handicap rooms for those that need them makes me think they won't do the same with connecting rooms.  It's unfortunate but early bird really does get the worm.

2 minutes ago, Shauna said:

Are the partitions between the balconies removable? We have a boardwalk balcony and apparently a 16 year old died trying to go from one balcony to the other recently. 

Actually I don’t think they are.  Seems to me like the Boardwalk balconies are scalloped.  Maybe the partitions open.  I honestly don’t know !

55 minutes ago, Shauna said:

Are the partitions between the balconies removable? We have a boardwalk balcony and apparently a 16 year old died trying to go from one balcony to the other recently. 

The young man who died was climbing around the outside of the ship and he fell to the pier.  Why the balcony dividers were not opened is unknown.  Maybe the family didn't know to ask, maybe they wanted privacy and didn't want them opened.  Maybe the other room was occupied by his aunt, uncle and cousins and neither set of parents wanted the dividers opened for privacy purposes.  Such a tragedy.  

The balcony dividers have a fixed section and a section that hinges back against the fixed section.  

Ycxnw1N.jpg.2cd5de8664169e9f51ed2eb96ef6aee4.jpg

In this photo the section of the divider with the red mark on it swings or hinges back while section of the divider with the green mark is fixed remaining in place.  

Here is a picture from a blog post of an ocean facing balcony with the dividers opened.

20151222_125018.jpg?itok=Jehqop6Y

Source:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2016/01/02/photo-tour-of-connecting-category-d7-balcony-staterooms-oasis-of-the-seas

23 hours ago, Shauna said:

Has anyone had any luck with getting them to try to contact someone to switch rooms? Or possibly doing it once they’re onboard?

My TA has done this behind the scenes prior to the cruise. I'm not privvy to details, but I do know there have been situations like this and the TA worked with RC to see if they could "entice" the person to change rooms.

Usually the scenario has been someone booked a room that connects to an empty room. Never understood why anyone would book it (and subsequently keep) a room that connects to another when there are non-connecting rooms available.

8 minutes ago, Matt said:

My TA has done this behind the scenes prior to the cruise. I'm not privvy to details, but I do know there have been situations like this and the TA worked with RC to see if they could "entice" the person to change rooms.

Usually the scenario has been someone booked a room that connects to an empty room. Never understood why anyone would book it (and subsequently keep) a room that connects to another when there are non-connecting rooms available.

My guarantee room on majesty ended up being a connecting.  We never heard any noise at all and just kept it locked the whole time.  I usually look at location and sometimes don't even notice the connecting part.  Jane