Chef’s table & mystery dinner

Jayreb84

My husband and I are booked on Serenade of the Seas for a 7 night cruise of New England & Canada October 2019. We are celebrating a wedding anniversary and booked the chef’s table and mystery dinner.  Does anyone have experience with these two specialty dining options?  Also per the descriptions on the planner, it says wine pairing with the meals. Does this mean that the wine is included or is there an extra fee per glass? 

We did the Mystery dinner MANY years ago and enjoyed it but it is a very different experience from Chefs Table.  Chefs Table is elegant and very food and drink intensive. The Mystery theater dinner was rather chaotic and a bit in the cheeky side.  I enjoyed both but they are very different. 

Happy anniversary! For what it’s worth...we did Mystery dinner (during our cruise to celebrate our 25th anniversary), and I did not enjoy it. My husband and I were seated with a family where 3 of the 4 attendees seemed to have been signed up against their will. They didn’t participate in the conversation, and it made for an awkward evening that I wouldn’t want to repeat. Other tables seemed to be having a great time, so perhaps it depends on who you are with (and what you are drinking). Here’s hoping you have a great time!

On 7/18/2019 at 9:10 AM, Jayreb84 said:

My husband and I are booked on Serenade of the Seas for a 7 night cruise of New England & Canada October 2019. We are celebrating a wedding anniversary and booked the chef’s table and mystery dinner.  Does anyone have experience with these two specialty dining options?  Also per the descriptions on the planner, it says wine pairing with the meals. Does this mean that the wine is included or is there an extra fee per glass? 

We took that exact cruise for our 27th wedding anniversary in 2017 although we did not do either of those. We did do regular dinners in Chops, Giovanni's and Izumi's. 

I hope you love it as much as we did!

Feel free to send me a message if you have any questions or suggestions I could make.

Happy cruising!

52 minutes ago, Holidaygal1 said:

Question For the chefs table, my DH is very allergic to shellfish,  can we signup for the chefs table or is shellfish a big part of the menu?

There was definitely lobster and I can't remember what else but I remember one of our group was pregnant and couldn't eat certain things, they worked around it for her. It's not the same as an allergy so hope this helps.

1 hour ago, Holidaygal1 said:

Question For the chefs table, my DH is very allergic to shellfish,  can we signup for the chefs table or is shellfish a big part of the menu?

You can...I want to say the amuse Bouche at the beginning was shrimp but I would think go talk to the dining room before hand. You can totally do the table with this allergy.  Entrees were fish or red meat.  Jane

3 hours ago, Holidaygal1 said:

When I did Chef's Table, we had scallops carpaccio as the appetizer and a Maine lobster salad. Rest of the courses were non-seafood or at least not shellfish.

Honestly, if your husband is very allergic then I would advise emailing specialneeds@rccl.com and making them aware of the situation now, then following up with the maitre'd and your waiter in the MDR when you board. This way they can not only make sure that the Chef's Table courses prepared for him are not cross-contaminated; they can also make arrangements so that your meals in the main dining room also include non-shellfish options and are prepared in the special kitchen they have for those with food allergies.

19 hours ago, Pen said:

What kind of menu is served at a Mystery Dinner?  Is it standard or just depends on ship or sailing?

I  wish I could remember what was served...I just remember that it was a set menu from Portofino's (the Italian restaurant of the day).  I do recall that the meal was ok but not great.  The show, however, was a hoot.

• 2 weeks later...

thank you for your responses!  I have another question regarding the chef's table.  This is our first cruise and I booked the specialty dining experiences on sea days.  Our chef's table is currently booked for the last night of the cruise. Is this a good idea or should I try to move it to a night earlier in the cruise?