Am I Crazy? Solo Cruise

Brenna

I’ve been thinking about the ways to best expand my vacation time in Sept/Oct despite my husband not being able too 

Currently we’re booked on a 7 night cruise on Harmony out of Orlando (departs 9/29) 

Would it be too much to take a short 4 or 5 night cruise before or after just by myself? 

My options would be:

1) 5 night Bermuda cruise (Athem) 

On Anthem 9/21-9/26 (home port, no need to fly/hotel, only about 30 minutes away) by myself 

Fly to Orlando with my husband 9/27 (evening) 

Cruise Harmony 9/29-10/6, fly home and back to work 10/7 

2) 4 Night Bahamas Cruise (Mariner) 

Fly to Orlando with my husband 9/27

Cruise Harmony 9/29-10/6, send husband home to NJ 

Cruise Mariner 10/7-10/11, fly home 10/11, back to work 10/14 

I have never taken a trip like this by myself, have no idea what solo cruising is like 

any thoughts for me? Am I crazy to think I can fit this in and not be Cruise-d out? How likely would it be to be able to do this? Should I be worried about storms messing with getting from NJ to Florida and vice versa? 

Otherwise hope everyone is having a good week! 

11 minutes ago, Brenna said:

I’ve been thinking about the ways to best expand my vacation time in Sept/Oct despite my husband not being able too 

Currently we’re booked on a 7 night cruise on Harmony out of Orlando (departs 9/29) 

Would it be too much to take a short 4 or 5 night cruise before or after just by myself? 

My options would be:

On Anthem 9/21-9/26 (home port, no need to fly/hotel, only about 30 minutes away) by myself 

I have never taken a trip like this by myself, have no idea what solo cruising is like 

any thoughts for me? Am I crazy to think I can fit this in and not be Cruise-d out? How likely would it be to be able to do this? Should I be worried about storms messing with getting from NJ to Florida and vice versa? 

I saw some deals yesterday taking the Empress out of Miami....

@twangster because he's the pro, whether solo or not.

I love solo. I did the Anthem 5 day to Bermuda last October so much I booked it again for next June. Same reasons as you for locality.  My friends and family are started to get jealous so the June one may or may not be solo. I travel with friends a lot but love a few days by myself. Cruise-wise I think, fully solo, 5 days is my limit. I did meet people on the one excursion I took and Chef's Table had a great group. I did specialty dining because I didn't want to eat in the MDR by myself and I really enjoy food so it worked for me. I loved dressing up every night just for myself, as weird as that may sound.

The best part to me in enjoying things on my own schedule. I love being with others and I love being alone. If you have the itch to do it, go for it. If you don't love it, it's only a few days!

As for the weather you really can't predict!

I absolutely endorse solo cruising and doing things on your own. It's freeing, and you have the chance to relax your own way without having to worry about anyone else. I love cruising with my husband and it's a good chance for us to relax together, but I love travelling on my own as well. I say go for it if you are able! That sounds like a really good break way from real life.  

Also, don't worry about storms. 1) They're pretty out of your control and there's really nothing in your power other than to wait and see what happens and 2) the ship will generally do its best to sail around storms and keep the ride as smooth and comfortable as possible. Plus, plenty of space on board to find a comfy spot to sit with a drink and read a book. The best you can do is plan ahead (leave a day or two ahead of the cruise to get to port) and utilize travel insurance.  

I've grown to like solo cruising and I'm completely over any fear of solo cruising.  You do have to pay for two since cruise fares are based on double occupancy but you get double C&A points.  This is called the single supplement.

A great benefit of solo cruising is the double C&A points.  Couples advance up the C&A ladder based on who has the higher status.  If you level up so will your husband.  

Sometimes they'll waive the single supplement like they did with some Empress and Majesty sailings in the wake of the Cuba changes. 

When you are solo in a small cabin it's very doable because it's just you so a cheap interior cabin for one can save some money.  

I found some very affordable junior suite rates on Empress and as a solo in a suite I'll get triple C&A points which I'm using to climb the C&A ladder even faster - 6 nights is 18 points, 8 nights is 24 points.  Think how long it would take to accumulate 24 points - for most people that would take three and a half 7 night cruises.  You can get there with one cruise.

I exercise caution visiting ports as a solo and I'm careful venturing around on my own.  A ship excursion is safe and it's a great way to meet other people plus you are only paying for one person.  Since I am paying for just one person I'll often do a more expensive excursion like a helicopter ride somewhere.  For two people that really adds up but for one person it's more affordable.

@Matt I had a feeling that would be the answer to that one LOL guess I just put that out there for people to tell me I should do it

@ChessE4 I don't think getting from Orlando -> Miami or vice versa is an option for me otherwise I would be tempted! 

@ellceethank you! I am so very tempted by this Bermuda cruise because of the closeness, I just almost feel bad if I didn't invite anyone to come with me 

I don't think 7 days would be possible by myself, I would miss my husband, we spent 9 months apart after college but haven't been apart for more than 5 days since so it would be weird for sure! 

I'm currently paranoid that the cruise would be late getting back to NJ and I would miss a flight to Orlando even though I have 3 days 

thanks @twangster and @KLA I'm not too worried about being by myself on the ship, and wouldn't venture too much in Bermuda (would just save that for a real trip with my husband) 

Another questions: If you had to choose, would you pick 5 day Bermuda before or 4 day Bahamas after (will have already gone to Cococay on Harmony) 

Both are looking to be around the same price, only added cost would be a hotel in FLbetween Harmony & Mariner 

Personally, I would choose a cruise that did not involve getting off, flying, and then getting back on. IMO that kind of interrupt whole the whole consecutive cruise mojo.  Is it better than NOT doing 2 cruises ?  Yep.

Is there not a cruise on either end of your current Harmony cruise that works for you ?  It’s so much nicer if you just get to stay on the same ship for 2 consecutive cruises, even if you have to change cabins.  I realize that a cruise on Harmony is going to be 7 nights, not 4 or 5 but....it’s just 2 more nights...

So, of the 2 options that you provided, above....I like #2 the best.  It’s called a side to side (S2S) when you get off 1 ship and directly onto another one.

Pretty adventurous, honestly.  Good for you !

I'm in a situation that my husband will not be able travel much longer due to illness (although leaving on Grandeur next thursday for our 25th Anniversary!).  I've asked him if he would be ok with my cruising solo and he's all for it!  I've been looking at several, especially the "Not official Group Cruise on Allure March 2021).  I was in the travel business for 20 years so I'm used to traveling by myself.  Bermuda is so safe and wonderful too!  DO IT!! YOLO!!!!!!! 

11 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Lorraine, I am so sorry to hear that Jack may not be able to travel, soon.  This whole thing just sucks !

4 minutes ago, ellcee said:

@Boston Babe only liking the YOLO part. I'm sorry about your husband.

^^^Ditto on these two thoughts above.  @Boston Babe You know that you and Jack are always in my thoughts...

2 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

^Ditto on these two thoughts above.  @Boston Babe You know that you and Jack are always in my thoughts..

You guys are great! @WAAAYTOOO and @ellcee thank you so much!  @Lovetocruise2002, I know that and sure appreciate it!!  We are looking forward to our Grandeur trip next week.  

@WAAAYTOOO are you booked for Allure too March 2021?  I'm going to book on Nextcruise to see what kind or deals I can get if any, otherwise, MEI! 

@WAAAYTOOO i wish! harmony for 2 weeks gets a little pricey, i would be more worried about getting off and flying if Anthem wasn't in NJ (would go home Thursday, cruise from Florida isn't until Sunday, we wanted to spend Saturday in Orlando) I'm not picky about the convenience of it all just want to spend my 2 weeks as best as I can (and 7 days on Harmony by myself seems less ideal) 

@Boston Babe happy anniversary! sorry to hear about your husband ?

Very tempting thoughts on here, going to talk my husband tonight about what to do.... 

18 minutes ago, Brenna said:

Very tempting thoughts on here, going to talk my husband tonight about what to do..

I think you should go for it.  It might just give you the right amount of time just for Brenna.  Lord knows we all need some time just being us!!?

And thank you for your kind words! 

Brenna, ditto on all the above.  Sorry your husband is having difficulties.  As for a second cruise, my choice would be Anthem.  We love that Solarium.  We were on it in JUN and will be on it in OCT.  So if it works out for you, then go for it.  Like so many of us now say thanks to Matt - "You Only Live Once". 

5 hours ago, Brenna said:

I have never cruised solo but I have been on several big 5-6 night trips by myself and had the best time! Everyone is shocked and wants to be your friend when you're traveling alone... I bet even more so in a cruise environment. Hope you get to do it!

5 hours ago, Brenna said:

My options would be:

OMG I'm going on the 5 day Bermuda cruise solo on the Anthem on 9/21-9/26.  I cruised to Bermuda solo (my first solo trip) on the Celebrity Summit back in May 2018 and had a great time.  It is a little weird at first eating solo in the MDR but the wait staff on the Summit bent of backwards for me.  I'm kind of shy so travelling solo really made me come out of my shell.  The funny thing is when other passengers hear you're solo they are in awe of you for doing so. I also spent a week at Grotto Bay this past April solo and loved it.  I did have one advantage in that I have been traveling to Bermuda with family & friends for over 40 years so I know the island and didn't have to worry about that.

29 minutes ago, MaryS said:

It is a little weird at first eating solo in the MDR

It’s funny how quickly you just “get over it” when you are traveling alone and eating alone.  I travel for work a LOT....like 3 weeks a month.  I am sitting in a Chili’s right now by myself and I don’t even give it a thought anymore.  Traveling alone gets a bad rap.  You get to go wherever you, whenever you want.  I really don't mind at all anymore.  

Now....having said all of that, Dan would be crushed if I ever said that I was thinking about taking a cruise without him. With things as they are now (both of us in good health), I wouldn’t even consider it b/c he loves cruising as much as I do and he would be very hurt if he thought I would go and leave him behind. How would I feel if he told me that he and “the guys” were going to take a guy cruise ?  I really don’t know.  I think I would ok with it but the situation has never come up.  I guess we’ll find out, if it does.

11 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

It’s funny how quickly you just “get over it” when you are traveling alone and eating alone.  I travel for work a LOT....like 3 weeks a month.  I am sitting in a Chili’s right now by myself and I don’t even give it a thought anymore.  Traveling alone gets a bad rap.  You get to go wherever you, whenever you want.  I really don't mind at all anymore.  

Now....having said all of that, Dan would be crushed if I ever said that I was thinking about taking a cruise without him. With things as they are now (both of us in good health), I wouldn’t even consider it b/c he loves cruising as much as I do and he would be very hurt if he thought I would go and leave him behind. How would I feel if he told me that he and “the guys” were going to take a guy cruise ?  I really don’t know.  I think I would ok with it but the situation has never come up.  I guess we’ll find out, if it does.

I have cruised a couple times without my husband and with my girls.  He has been awesome about it!  However I've now been to Disney 2 times without him in the past couple years and he is done with that lol!   I think he would totally understand a cruise by myself and if he were going after, that would probably work great.  I can say all this, because he never travels without me!  Jane

Sorry for disappearing! Work got crazy but I appreciate all the responses here

I sure know where to go whenever I am feeling hmmm should I book this cruise and need encouragement

My husband was pretty down on the idea, I think he would miss me ?

Looks like its working in my favorite to convince him we need a second cruise anyway! 

But for now back to counting the days to Sept 29 and HARMONY 

My wife has 5 sisters all over the country and is traveling to see them constantly.  While I am "HOME ALONE".    Now that we are moving back to Florida I just might start doing solo cruises.  With several ports to choose from and last minute cabins it is a no brainer.  Then again she loves to cruise as well.  Just think I could start BOB`S BLOGS.   What a thought.