Contacting home

51 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

I just text once a day. If you have a cell phone and dont want use internet, Royal service charges 50 cents to send each text, receiving a reply from home only 5 cents each

This. I told the crew back home just text me if there is an emergency and I can respond accordingly. If I had to check in, even 3 texts a day is far less than Ann internet package.

8 hours ago, tdcackler said:

This. I told the crew back home just text me if there is an emergency and I can respond accordingly. If I had to check in, even 3 texts a day is far less than Ann internet package.

I would get the cheapest internet package that RC offers which is the VOOM surf for 1 device which I think cost about $13.99 a day, which I think would be worth the cost because then you can send as many text that you want with no charge, others will be able to text you back without your phone getting charged for those received texts while at sea, & you will be able to make WiFi calls without paying a per minute fee for making calls or picking up calls or for just simply having your phone on and not answering the phone when people call you and letting the calls go to voicemail. 

ALSO IF YOU ARE GOING TO ONE OF RC’s PRIVATE DESTINATIONS/PRIVATE ISLANDS LIKE LABADEE, HAITI OR PERFECT DAY @ COCOCAY IN THE BAHAMAS OR ON ANY OTHER CRUISE LINE GOING TO A PRIVATE ISLAND, THE CRUISE SHIP INTERNET CAN BE USED AT MOST & IF NOT ALL OF THE CRUISE LINES PRIVATE ISLANDS FOR THE LINE THAT YOUR CRUISING ON.

A few years ago my mother and I was on a cruise and even through we did not use our phones at all durning that time, our next cell phone bill has accrued $50 of roaming charges simply because people kept calling my mothers phone and even through she did not answer the calls and let them go directly to voicemail we were still charged $50 extra dollars because we did not purchase the cruise ship internet which was cheaper 4 years go when the cell phone company charged more because her and I did not know to put our phones in airplane mode and turn the cellular & wifi off if we did not want to use our cell phone but now we purchase the internet for all devices that we will be using on the cruise and turn airplane mode on and cellular data off after connecting to the ships WiFi.

in December 2018 I was cruising with my mother & both het & I got the internet package so that we would be able to text each other if we wanted to meet somewhere at a specific time, but on that cruise I had packed my laptop so that most days that week I could get some school work done durning the cruise and when I was finished with school for the day I went to another area of the ship, which is where I received a text from my mom which I did respond to, but it took forever to send the text because I had only gotten the internet package for 2 devices & not for 3 devices because I knew that I could logoff the WiFi on one device and login to the WiFi with another device, and since it took sssoooooooooooooo long for the text to send that i realized I forgot to logoff of the WiFi when I was done with my school work for the day, and I had to go back to the cabin to logoff of the WiFi from my laptop and login again on my phone, and the text that I had previously sent went through right away.

If you don't need to check in every day, but also don't want to hang out at an internet cafe all day in port,  I suggest seeing what your phone carrier's international plan is. With Verizon (I think other carriers have similar plans) I pay $10/day while in port, and turn off my phone while at sea to avoid roaming charges. So for a 7 day cruise that's usually $30-40, versus 7 days x $12-15/day.

1 hour ago, KJones said:

If you don't need to check in every day, but also don't want to hang out at an internet cafe all day in port,  I suggest seeing what your phone carrier's international plan is. With Verizon (I think other carriers have similar plans) I pay $10/day while in port, and turn off my phone while at sea to avoid roaming charges. So for a 7 day cruise that's usually $30-40, versus 7 days x $12-15/day.

If you don't want VOOM then this is the way to go.

• 4 weeks later...