When to start watching the weather? (Storm season)

We are due on Harmony Western Caribbean on 18th August and wondered how far in advance we could possibly know of any storms.

We are travelling to Boston from Europe on the 8th August then down to Orlando area on the 16th. 

How quick do these storms arrive. I can watch the weather channel but they tend to border on the doomsday to get viewers ?

What would be a reliable source. I'm not too worried about the storm itself more about missing ports and rough seas. 

Just now, coneyraven said:

I totally agree with you regarding The Weather Channel ..... ever since they were bought by NBC, they seem to be more interested in ratings ....

Personally, I love Accuweather..... I find them to be much more reliable.

If you give people the worst case scenario and it doesn't happen, how many people are really going to be mad at you?

What? You've got to be kidding me! They said we were going to get a foot of snow and we only got three inches!

NOAA's NHC (National Hurricane Center) produces frequent "outlooks" discussing the probability of development and if a region is favored to develop or less likely to.

Basically go right to the source that many other companies get their data from.  

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Once the outlook is favorable for development a simple area of thunderstorms can develop into something more.  This usually (but not always) takes several days and then several days after that they can begin to model a track projection.  When you see formation is not expected for 5 days at this time of year you generally (but not always) have nearly a two week window before a storm could strengthen into something serious. Once ocean temperatures have warmed up over the summer months development often occurs faster.  That is why September is often peak hurricane season.

The NHC outlook as of today:

(bolding mine)

Tropical Weather Outlook TextTropical Weather Discussion

ZCZC MIATWOAT ALL TTAA00 KNHC DDHHMM Tropical Weather Outlook NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL 200 PM EDT Wed Jul 17 2019 For the North Atlantic...Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico: The Weather Prediction Center is issuing advisories on Post-Tropical Cyclone Barry, located over Ohio. Tropical cyclone formation is not expected during the next 5 days. && Public advisories on Barry from the Weather Prediction Center can be found under AWIPS header TCPAT2, WMO header WTNT32 KWNH, and on the web at http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov $$ Forecaster Brown NNNN

Later in the season and into September storms can develop into something serious more quickly.  

5-day window is probably all you may get to reasonably determine if your plans may be affected.  But tropical storms vary in how they impact different areas so it's extremely hard to tell if there will be an issue.  Farther out than that casts too wide of a net of potential impacts.

That being said the cruise lines are used to it and will not sail you into danger and will adjust port visits if there will be an impact.  Best thing you can do in advance is purchase travel insurance which can help defray your out of pocket costs if you have to change plans last minute.

We look at weather as a fact of life.  Having lived in Florida and now moving back there you just go with the flow.  Mother nature is very unpredictable.  The ship will reroute  and off you go. Do as the others have said for where to turn for forecasts.  They can barely predict 2-3 days out. Heaven forbid 10 or more days out. Like the song says: Don`t Worry Be Happy. And pack Bonnine or Dramamine.  

I live in a hurricane area. We've had it both ways, DOOOOOOOM for a week, nothing. Little storm,  real doom. Some tropical storms have been worse than hurricanes. 3 years ago all we had predicted was rain - meanwhile the streets flooded so high I got stuck for a few hours in my car because I found higher ground in between two heavily flooded streets.

Take weather reports with a grain of salt and just be prepared.