Hold charges on credit card?

• Matt changed the title to Hold charges on credit card?

LOL-no pool towels!  We did have it tied to two staterooms but the charges appeared AFTER we cleared up all our billing the day prior to disembarkation. When we called Royal Caribbean they stated that is was a “hold” charge like a hotel would do for incidental and not to worry, the charges would go away in 3-5 days.  They could not have been more dismissive about the whole thing which was a shame as we had really enjoyed the cruise.  Now we’re second guessing cruising with RC again.

With Royal I've had individual daily totals that stay pending. Then at the end of the cruise I'll have a single larger charge.

On Symphony it took almost a month before the large charge posted. Well after the smaller daily pending charges dropped off.

7 minutes ago, MattmanL67 said:

LOL-no pool towels!  We did have it tied to two staterooms but the charges appeared AFTER we cleared up all our billing the day prior to disembarkation. When we called Royal Caribbean they stated that is was a “hold” charge like a hotel would do for incidental and not to worry, the charges would go away in 3-5 days.  They could not have been more dismissive about the whole thing which was a shame as we had really enjoyed the cruise.  Now we’re second guessing cruising with RC again.

If it helps, I paid for two staterooms in May and didn't have a problem.  This might be a one-off.

11 minutes ago, MattmanL67 said:

Also had this problem but worse since we had a revolut debit card.

I went on the last night to settle my bill and paid with revolut a amount of 1900$ careful to say that I was closing the account.

Three days later RC charged me another 1900$ putting me 1900 in the red on my debit card.

my card company took this amount from my checking account 2 weeks later. It took more than 6 weeks for the debt to drop from my debit card. (I.E for the 1900$ to reappear on my debit card as a credit.) 

Lesson learned I will only ever use my AMEX card for RC cruises. 

In many cases the bank or credit card has it own rules for how long a charge remains in the pending status.  This is more obvious with debit cards since the bank really doesn't want to be a in a position of prematurely releasing a hold only to find the charge goes through but the account holder drained their account in the interim.  This tactic is why pending charges linger, because crafty people figured out how to scam the system.  

Royal can release the hold yet it remains posted in pending status for days after because the bank keeps it that way.  This is why some people have this problem and others don't - different cards or banks follow different practices.  

4 hours ago, MattmanL67 said:

Did you make $3,000 worth of Charges? When I gamble and take money out on my credit card I could take out $3,000 and then yes I have a hold for it even when they put the final total through.. Thats just how Royal does it they put holds everyday on your card and then they do another final charge at the end and you have to wait for the pending ones to drop off.. Its annoying because it eats up so much available credit but there is nothing you can do.