Drink Package special cup....

To my seasoned RC friends.... Matt said on one of the blog videos that you cannot take a RC souvenir  cola cup back with you again on your next cruise.  I understand that this is so that you don't use it to get drinks for someone else (like because they you would have two cups onboard).. BUT.... I have seen a lot of people giving tips to bring a big cup with you (just a generic yetti mug or whatever), so that you can get a big drink to carry around (coffee or whatever drinks you want).  So is it that you can bring a generic yetti type big cup with you...as long as its not an old RC souvenir cup?

In theory you can bring an old Royal beverage package cup on a new cruise but it won't work in Freestyle machines a second time around.  

In many cases a bartender will ask to see your SeaPass card if you want to get a soda.  If your account isn't coded for a drink, soda or otherwise, you get charged regardless if you have an old Royal beverage package cup.  It's not possessing a cup that makes soda free, it's when your account is coded that way.

Personally I'm not a fan of the Royal beverage plan cups.  I have a cup I like and it's a higher quality cup compared to the Royal cup.

1 hour ago, twangster said:

In theory you can bring an old Royal beverage package cup on a new cruise but it won't work in Freestyle machines a second time around.  

In many cases a bartender will ask to see your SeaPass card if you want to get a soda.  If your account isn't coded for a drink, soda or otherwise, you get charged regardless if you have an old Royal beverage package cup.  It's not possessing a cup that makes soda free, it's when your account is coded that way.

Personally I'm not a fan of the Royal beverage plan cups.  I have a cup I like and it's a higher quality cup compared to the Royal cup.

ohh ok, i didn't understan at first... so the code is chipped or something, so that it activates the freestyle machine to work??  That makes sense now.... ok, i understand better....thanks you guys!

19 minutes ago, mom2mybugs said:

You can totally bring whatever cup you want.... Like twangster said, it just won't get refills at the freestyle machine.  I actually have not even unwrapped my last 2 and next time I'm not bringing them home since I never use them...I have cups I like a lot better!  Jane

I  see... so you just get your sodas from a bartender then, in the cup you do like, that you brought with you?  

3 minutes ago, kittysoul said:

ohh ok, i didn't understan at first... so the code is chipped or something, so that it activates the freestyle machine to work??  That makes sense now.... ok, i understand better....thanks you guys!

The Royal cups have an RFID chip embedded in the base. Every cup has a unique serial number so the system knows when a cup has been used on a previous cruise.

1 minute ago, twangster said:

The Royal cups have an RFID chip embedded in the base. Every cup has a unique serial number so the system knows when a cup has been used on a previous cruise.

alll now it is all starting to all make sense..... ?   thanks!

1 hour ago, mom2mybugs said:

You can totally bring whatever cup you want.... Like twangster said, it just won't get refills at the freestyle machine.  I actually have not even unwrapped my last 2 and next time I'm not bringing them home since I never use them...I have cups I like a lot better!  Jane

We haven't used our cups on our last 3 cruises. I don't drink soda and wife stopped 2 years ago. She does bring her Tervis and gets ice from the Freestyle machines, which apparently doesn't care what cup is there. We're both water bottles and alcohol when we cruise.

40 minutes ago, RWDW1204 said:

We haven't used our cups on our last 3 cruises. I don't drink soda and wife stopped 2 years ago. She does bring her Tervis and gets ice from the Freestyle machines, which apparently doesn't care what cup is there. We're both water bottles and alcohol when we cruise.

My husband drinks pop (I'm laughing at the soda vs pop thing!) but hates carrying the cup and I gave up drinking pop a few years ago (except on cruises when I'm missing it with kraken!).  Jane

2 hours ago, kittysoul said:

I  see... so you just get your sodas from a bartender then, in the cup you do like, that you brought with you?  

The bartender will give it to you in a glad which you can pour into yours.  At least that is what usually happens.  Occasionally I see them refill the rc cup directly, but never anyone's private one.  Jane

1 hour ago, FManke said:

I would like to see RC switch cups over to one with a handle. A more universal one like Disney uses. 

The new cups have a handle..but it's a carrying handle..different from the Disney cups and more like ones you would get at Six Flags.  

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2019/04/15/spotted-new-coca-cola-souvenir-cup-featuring-lid-and-handle

55 minutes ago, FloridaCruiseGirl1210 said:

Does anyone know if I can refill my yeti in the freestyle machines? I have the drink package so i know i could just get a bottle of water but i like super iced water. 

You should be able to... The freestyle machines will dispense plain water (and I believe ice) to any cup.  You don't need a chip.  Jane

13 hours ago, Andrew72681 said:

But theoretically you could break the cup open, remove the RFID chip and tape the chip to your favorite cup ?

When you do this and others watch you filling the provided clear water cups with soda at the FreeStyle machine it is always amusing to watch them try and figure it out.  ??

21 minutes ago, twangster said:

I've got so many Royal beverage cups at home that I've started leaving them on the ship still sealed.  I'm not a soda drinker, it's either an adult beverage or water for me.  

I've got the last three generation of cups in front of me right now, still sealed.  Time to clean house.  

Dan doesn’t drink soda AT all and I am a Coke snob who will only drink canned Cokes so even when we bought the drinks pkg we never took the plastic cups out of the wrappers or off the shelf (except for the one time we gave them to friends.  I know.  Don’t judge).

I think I have a couple of REALLY old ones from years ago at the house but usually we just leave them on the ship, still in their packaging.

2 hours ago, FroggyFlo said:

Don't chipped mugs get stolen by other passengers if you leave them with your stuff around the pool? I might sound a silly question, I found out Americans are much more honest than Europeans in that respect...

You do know Europeans are also on this forum ?

We left our soda cups unopened last cruise and will do the same this cruise. We have no interest in the machines.

For instance, in WDW most people hang a personal item on their rental stroller to recognize it. I tried this trick once in an amusement park in Paris (with a worthless scarf)... and of course such scarf magically disapeard within one hour.

In the US, parcels and newspapers are delivered in front of your door, even if you live in a condo. Nobody walks away with their neighbours' parcel. I wouldn't dream about trying this in France! Most of them would be stolen, if not out of financial needs, rather out of lust or mischief. So sad...

2 minutes ago, FroggyFlo said:

In the US, parcels and newspapers are delivered in front of your door, even if you live in a condo. Nobody walks away with their neighbours' parcel. I wouldn't dream about trying this in France! Most of them would be stolen, if not out of financial needs, rather out of lust or mischief. So sad...

I don't know if you watch the news, read the papers or on the internet but this kind of stuff happens every day in the US. Hate to say it, but it's true. So much so that Amazon and other delivery companies have gone to taking pictures of the deliveries to prove that they have been delivered. 

Don't base the dishonesty of a whole continent of people because of one Parisian scarf thief!

20 minutes ago, mworkman said:

Speaking of stealing... Just last week I seen a thread stolen!  Took it like it was theirs, without reguards to whom it belong too.  They even had the nerve to change topic....that's so rude. ?

Guilty!  I'm soooo guilty all the time... . Jane (slinking away)