RC Harmony Youth Activity Familiarization

Neesa

We have previously only sailed Disney because we were just used to it & once familiar so easy. I'm reaching out to fellow cruisers who have sailed both Disney & RC. Our daughter is 13 and of course grew up in the Oceaneers & Edge. Is there something comparable to the youth activities area's on the Harmony? Do we have to register ahead of time? We are simply bored at Disney right now & wanted to take the plunge on another line, we always heard RC spoken about on the Disney ships. Input on anything would be so appreciated, I want to relax but for me that means minimal surprises. As always thank you everyone in advance for your help.

2 hours ago, Neesa said:

We have previously only sailed Disney because we were just used to it & once familiar so easy. I'm reaching out to fellow cruisers who have sailed both Disney & RC. Our daughter is 13 and of course grew up in the Oceaneers & Edge. Is there something comparable to the youth activities area's on the Harmony? Do we have to register ahead of time? We are simply bored at Disney right now & wanted to take the plunge on another line, we always heard RC spoken about on the Disney ships. Input on anything would be so appreciated, I want to relax but for me that means minimal surprises. As always thank you everyone in advance for your help.

You register on the ship.  There are different groups separated by age.  My son was active in the RCI youth groups from age 5 to 18, and he generally enjoyed them.  Going the first day is helpful to meet everyone. Check the deck plans for the exact location on the top decks.

4 hours ago, Neesa said:

Your 13 year old won't have to register for the teen area.  It is open during the first day though to get the lay of the land and pick up a teen compass and all any questions.  The teens are free to come and go... Usually they break then into 12-14 year olds and 15-17 year old groups but sometimes they combine them.  On the first night, as @Andrew72681 and @ChessE4 said above, have your daughter go and meet people.  That is definitely where they groups find.  What I found after that is that the teen area turned into a meeting point, but that the kids really mostly wander around and eat ice cream!  My daughter went on her first cruise at 12 and now is 16... She has had fun every cruise and has always met kids.  Some of them she is still in contact with 4 years later! Jane

10 hours ago, mom2mybugs said:

Your 13 year old won't have to register for the teen area. 

Not all ships have a teen registration but Harmony did.  It was not at the same time as Adventure Ocean registration but around 5 pm (check the cruise compass) in the teen lounge.  It isn't a big deal if you miss it as they will still allow you to register the first night.  As others have said the first night is the most important night to go for the meet and greets.  There will be a teen compass for the activities.  My kids were in the hang out and roam the ship group too but I've seen others participate in the activities (teen flowrider, scavenger hunts, etc).

3 hours ago, melski94 said:

Not all ships have a teen registration but Harmony did.  It was not at the same time as Adventure Ocean registration but around 5 pm (check the cruise compass) in the teen lounge.  It isn't a big deal if you miss it as they will still allow you to register the first night.  As others have said the first night is the most important night to go for the meet and greets.  There will be a teen compass for the activities.  My kids were in the hang out and roam the ship group too but I've seen others participate in the activities (teen flowrider, scavenger hunts, etc).

Interesting... Allure and freedom didn't!  So obviously good to check.  Jane

20 hours ago, mom2mybugs said:

Your 13 year old won't have to register for the teen area.  It is open during the first day though to get the lay of the land and pick up a teen compass and all any questions.  The teens are free to come and go... Usually they break then into 12-14 year olds and 15-17 year old groups but sometimes they combine them.  On the first night, as @Andrew72681 and @ChessE4 said above, have your daughter go and meet people.  That is definitely where they groups find.  What I found after that is that the teen area turned into a meeting point, but that the kids really mostly wander around and eat ice cream!  My daughter went on her first cruise at 12 and now is 16... She has had fun every cruise and has always met kids.  Some of them she is still in contact with 4 years later! Jane

Yeah. When we took our 16 year old nephew with us, they did the same. He’d walk up there and see who was there, and then wander around the ship till 1am when we told him to be back.