Empress turned around from San Juan

Just saw this elsewhere, not sure if anyone else knows what's going on?  

The Empress of the seas that was next to enter the bay of San Juan, Puerto Rico is late, just turned and cancel its entrance to our port when it was already 3 miles sea outside.

This is due to the violent demonstrations that have emerged in the last hours in old San Juan

Sadly I think Old San Juan and the area near it should be avoided right now, until the civil unrest is over.  

Freedom uses the PanAmerican terminal away from OSJ on the other side of the harbor so I could see embarking/debarking going normally as long as you don't try to visit OSJ.  Stay in or near your hotel, avoid OSJ and go to the ship.  When debarking just go to the airport.  

Hopefully though the protests will end soon so it won't be a problem to experience a normal OSJ visit.

The same could be said when Barcelona had some unrest in year's past.  

Both Empress and Harmony had later arrivals and were suppose to spend the evening in port leaving well after dinner.   Empress was to be there until midnight.  I suspect that factored into the decision to divert.  Civil unrest, guests walking around late at night, potentially some danger there.

Allure has an early arrival and earlier departure.  All aboard is 1:30pm I think.  Many of the protests have been late afternoon or early evening.  Allure will be long gone by then.  

2 hours ago, twangster said:

Both Empress and Harmony had later arrivals and were suppose to spend the evening in port leaving well after dinner.   Empress was to be there until midnight.  I suspect that factored into the decision to divert.  Civil unrest, guests walking around late at night, potentially some danger there.

Allure has an early arrival and earlier departure.  All aboard is 1:30pm I think.  Many of the protests have been late afternoon or early evening.  Allure will be long gone by then.  

I'd still have been nervous I think about walking around other than heading to the ports.  Jane