Can ship exchange large Euros for smaller denominations?

Hello

I live in the UK and regularly  travel to Europe.  I wouldn't worry about spending 100 euro notes. The only places that might give you a hard time is street vendors or smaller shops or if you're using it to purchase small items like bottled water. Paying for attractions or in restaurants will be fine.  I imagine they would change these on the ship but probably charge you for the service!

My actual worries about 100 euro notes would be to get robbed on the street. Sometimes sellers are not that honest either, and they may try to give you less change than you're entitled to, since they can see you're not familiar with the currency. Latin countries like Italy, Spain, Greece or even southern France have got a bad reputation for this ?

Otherwise, 100 euros notes are usual, altough I personally never use any, I prefer my credit card. I guess you can "break" one or 2 on the ship or in your first restaurant?

On 7/16/2019 at 2:33 PM, mom2mybugs said:

The woman at the bank totally messed up my Euro order and now I have several 100 Euro bills.  I was wondering if guest services can exchange them for 20s?  I'm worried that places won't take the big bills.  Jane

Food for thought on the next trip.  Get your Euros in Europe out of a bank ATM, with a generally better rate.  I try to take just 100E for the trip over so I have something at the airport/train station, requesting smaller bills as you originally intended.  Otherwise, the bank mark-up in the US can be considerable for a large quantity of Euros.  If you plan on using the ATMs, remember to notify your bank so they don't freeze your card. Enjoy!

3 hours ago, ChessE4 said:

Food for thought on the next trip.  Get your Euros in Europe out of a bank ATM, with a generally better rate.  I try to take just 100E for the trip over so I have something at the airport/train station, requesting smaller bills as you originally intended.  Otherwise, the bank mark-up in the US can be considerable for a large quantity of Euros.  If you plan on using the ATMs, remember to notify your bank so they don't freeze your card. Enjoy!

I had heard the rate wasnt as good there!  So hard to know. Thank you!  I get so nervous about the stupid debit card...our bank was horrible with my son being in Germany.  Even with the travel alert, they froze him numerous times and even though I was in the account, I couldn't do anything because they debit card was in his name!!!  I think we will mostly use our no fee Visa whenever we can but I wanted to be prepared. 

May possibly be traveling to England, Scotland and Ireland next year ... Should I wait to get currency there next time? Jane

23 hours ago, FroggyFlo said:

My actual worries about 100 euro notes would be to get robbed on the street. Sometimes sellers are not that honest either, and they may try to give you less change than you're entitled to, since they can see you're not familiar with the currency. Latin countries like Italy, Spain, Greece or even southern France have got a bad reputation for this ?

Otherwise, 100 euros notes are usual, altough I personally never use any, I prefer my credit card. I guess you can "break" one or 2 on the ship or in your first restaurant?

That's my plan... To break a couple at restaurants in Barcelona.  I figure the Euro change is pretty easy to understand since it's based on 100 like dollars.  Will definitely be trying to have lower denims out so we aren't easy targets for theft.  Jane

3 hours ago, KenCP said:

No trouble Jane using 100's in Europe.  You can always visit a bank and they would be more than happy to change it up for you as well if you want to have smaller bills to use.  I had to show my passport the last time but they had no problem changing my 100 bills. 

This is super good to know! Jane

First , the bad rate is in the exchange stores, ATM are more about your CC company but most of the time it's a good rate  , you just need to check. 100 bills are mostly OK beside taxis and small vendors.

You can always use them in the supermarket (which you will need anyway to use to stock your apprtment) or in resturants. When you land in Barcelona you will also find many stores at the airport before and after imigration , you can use it there also , buying some chocolate or a dress in Zara ?

6 minutes ago, Traveler said:

First , the bad rate is in the exchange stores, ATM are more about your CC company but most of the time it's a good rate  , you just need to check. 100 bills are mostly OK beside taxis and small vendors.

This was my experience, I went and bought a few euro's before I left, but then went to a bank ATM in Barcelona and got out what I thought I was going to really need. It work out great.

5 hours ago, mom2mybugs said:

I had heard the rate wasnt as good there!  So hard to know. Thank you!  I get so nervous about the stupid debit card...our bank was horrible with my son being in Germany.  Even with the travel alert, they froze him numerous times and even though I was in the account, I couldn't do anything because they debit card was in his name!!!  I think we will mostly use our no fee Visa whenever we can but I wanted to be prepared. 

May possibly be traveling to England, Scotland and Ireland next year ... Should I wait to get currency there next time? Jane

When we flew to London, I had no problem using the ATM at the airport (Heathrow).  My bank doesn't charge me foreign ATM fees, and my bank's currency rate isn't as good as the ATMs in Europe.  I guess it depends upon the bank.  I've always used ATMs for business travel in Europe, mostly in Germany.  I just hate paying my bank a $5 or $10 fee to order currency....but it is small potatoes in the long run.  Australia/NZ ATMs were easy to access cash, too.

4 hours ago, ChessE4 said:

When we flew to London, I had no problem using the ATM at the airport (Heathrow).  My bank doesn't charge me foreign ATM fees, and my bank's currency rate isn't as good as the ATMs in Europe.  I guess it depends upon the bank.  I've always used ATMs for business travel in Europe, mostly in Germany.  I just hate paying my bank a $5 or $10 fee to order currency....but it is small potatoes in the long run.  Australia/NZ ATMs were easy to access cash, too.

My bank charges me a fee for the foreign ATMs :(. Jane

19 hours ago, mom2mybugs said:

I figure the Euro change is pretty easy to understand since it's based on 100 like dollars.

Euro vs USD is actually very easy! Do not forget you do NOT have to tip since service is included in the price. If you do, it's entirely up to you, and it should really be in case of outstanding service. The good news is, sales tax is already included in the price, so understanding prices is even easier.

17 minutes ago, FroggyFlo said:

Euro vs USD is actually very easy! Do not forget you do NOT have to tip since service is included in the price. If you do, it's entirely up to you, and it should really be in case of outstanding service. The good news is, sales tax is already included in the price, so understanding prices is even easier.

We spent 6 days in Paris last year and we did end up tipping a free times... It's hard not to!  The service was amazing in a couple of the little cafes!!  Jane