How long is too long?

FManke

I saw an article online where Viking Ocean Cruises offers a cruise sailing for 245 days, visiting 113 ports, in 59 countries.

Too much? Would you consider it if time and money was not an obstacle?

I would. My wife says she wouldn't want to be away from family that long. Might have to try my first solo cruise!

4 minutes ago, ellcee said:

I would be curious to know what the average threshold for when it stops feeling less like a vacation and more like everyday life.

I'm not sure, but there is a ship, that's called Residensea.  It's a privately owned cruise ship where people actually live in condos, on board, year round. It just continuously circumnavigates the globe. 

When would that get old?

Have been on several cruises lately where their has been more than 3 or more guests that are on the ships for several months at a time. We are looking to do the B2B top and bottom out of Sydney in 2021 for 30 days.  Not sure what our limit is. I know I can do it. Not sure about the wife. She would miss the grand kids.  

1 hour ago, FManke said:

I saw an article online where Viking Ocean Cruises offers a cruise sailing for 245 days, visiting 113 ports, in 59 countries.

Too much? Would you consider it if time and money was not an obstacle?

I think long voyages need to have a purpose.  For some it is writing, for others enhancing relationships, or learning specific cultures.   I couldn't go that long without a purpose, which what I find challenging about retirement.  Maybe it's just me... 

Another thought - around the world in 80 days as in Jules Verne but blending cruising with flying?

1 hour ago, ChessE4 said:

Another thought - around the world in 80 days as in Jules Verne but blending cruising with flying?

I agree - 245 days is too long for me.  the 80 days thing is intriguing.  I did plan out a "cruise" i would love to do.... Its actually a few cruises that were interspersed with long stretches ashore.  so it would be around 180 days in total... with about 70 of them cruising.

Would consider length!  We did 54 days/17 countries including some countries that one would now not dare to go to.  It is easy to keep in touch, and electronic bill pay helps.  The biggie is your home/apartment.  If apartment dweller, perhaps could put furniture in storage and have about 3/4 of a year with no rent, insurance, utilities to help offset cost.  Did meet someone who said living on ship competitive with high-end assisted living facility.

3 hours ago, fonemanbob said:

Have been on several cruises lately where their has been more than 3 or more guests that are on the ships for several months at a time. We are looking to do the B2B top and bottom out of Sydney in 2021 for 30 days.  Not sure what our limit is. I know I can do it. Not sure about the wife. She would miss the grand kids.  

Wife and I are doing a B2B out of Sydney to NZ and SP totaling 4 nights pre-cruise and 24 at sea in March of 2020. Same feelings here. Also curious to see how we handle that long a time away from home, especially the grandkids who are all local. Packing logistics , food redundancy, repeating entertainment as we are on Radiance. I am sure I can "tough it out" but not so sure how the wife will handle it. If we enjoy this month away, next is B2B or B3B European. If not it's back to 7-10 day Caribbean or solo cruising. We shall see!!!