Cruise Planner Sale July 15, 2019

Seeing some price drops on the UDP (dining) and some excursions are cheaper (although some went up).  Minor changes on some DX and refreshment packages but inconsistent across different cruises.

Overall saved over a hundred on excursions across a number of sailings.  Some were $8 cheaper, some $40 cheaper.  

Cruise planner access is cranky for me, sometimes taking a few attempts to get in.  

2 hours ago, MaryS said:

The Deluxe Beverage package for my 9/21/19 Anthem sailing just went down to $49 plus I used my $75 OBC.  I am happy ?.  Maybe it'll go down again maybe not.

This gives me some hope. Your sailing is a month before mine, so maybe I’ll see the DBP go to $49 in another month / around Labor Day.

If prices are going to drop, how far out do they usually drop the most?

I'm probably going to have to wait until probably July 4th 2020 "sale"  for our Oct 2020 cruise to see any substantial price drop if any.

Prices have been up and down like $3 - $10 daily on pkgs lately.

9 minutes ago, FManke said:

I'm probably going to have to wait until probably July 4th 2020 "sale"  for our Oct 2020 cruise to see any substantial price drop if any.

When it comes to drink packages there is no pattern or logic.  They are largely influenced by booking trends.  If not enough people on a specific sail date have purchased drink plans, they might go down.  If sales are strong for a specific sail date, they won't come down.  

The danger in waiting for a beverage package price drop is that it may never occur.  Once sales cross a threshold, prices for that sail date will never come down again.

2 minutes ago, twangster said:

When it comes to drink packages there is no pattern or logic.  They are largely influenced by booking trends.  If not enough people on a specific sail date have purchased drink plans, they might go down.  If sales are strong for a specific sail date, they won't come down.  

The danger in waiting for a beverage package price drop is that it may never occur.  Once sales cross a threshold, prices for that sail date will never come down again.

I've already booked our dining and beverage pkgs, as well as a couple of spa treatments. Just waiting for them to come down to rebook. If not, it's ok. I'm happy with the price as is, but would be happier if the price went down!

23 hours ago, twangster said:

Seeing some price drops on the UDP (dining) and some excursions are cheaper (although some went up).  Minor changes on some DX and refreshment packages but inconsistent across different cruises.

Overall saved over a hundred on excursions across a number of sailings.  Some were $8 cheaper, some $40 cheaper.  

Cruise planner access is cranky for me, sometimes taking a few attempts to get in.  

For my 8 September cruise the sale price of the Deluxe Beverage Package was $46, but he excursions I already booked were about $2 more each, say 2-4% more.  More evidence of "new math"....

16 minutes ago, ChessE4 said:

For my 8 September cruise the sale price of the Deluxe Beverage Package was $46, but he excursions I already booked were about $2 more each, say 2-4% more.  More evidence of "new math"....

Excursion also follow supply and demand practices.  

The last time excursions went on sale I grabbed a dozen or so across a handful of cruises.  Many of those were booked at rock bottom prices.  They went back up in price after that sale until this sale came along.  In some cases maybe I was the only person who had booked excursions in New Zealand 7 months from now.  Some came down in price and I saved even more.  in other cases it's possible other guests also jumped in during the last sale.  If an excursion is half booked they aren't going to deeply discount it this far out.  It went on sale just not as deeply discounted as it was when I booked.   

I keep a spreadsheet with my excursions listed and I check them frequently which is how I found this sale.  I have a total of 19 excursions booked right now and saved over $120 from this sale.  However not all of my excursion dropped below the price I previously paid.  

I don't see this "new math" but simply as supply and demand.  

4 hours ago, FManke said:

We are sailing oct 2020, what ship are you on?

4 hours ago, twangster said:

Excursion also follow supply and demand practices.  

The last time excursions went on sale I grabbed a dozen or so across a handful of cruises.  Many of those were booked at rock bottom prices.  They went back up in price after that sale until this sale came along.  In some cases maybe I was the only person who had booked excursions in New Zealand 7 months from now.  Some came down in price and I saved even more.  in other cases it's possible other guests also jumped in during the last sale.  If an excursion is half booked they aren't going to deeply discount it this far out.  It went on sale just not as deeply discounted as it was when I booked.   

I keep a spreadsheet with my excursions listed and I check them frequently which is how I found this sale.  I have a total of 19 excursions booked right now and saved over $120 from this sale.  However not all of my excursion dropped below the price I previously paid.  

I don't see this "new math" but simply as supply and demand.  

Yep, the spreadsheet is the way to go to for an accurate price comparison.  My point is that you can't rely on the quoted percentage discount, except perhaps as a flag to look more closely.  Your system takes a little work but has netted you positive results.

11 minutes ago, ChessE4 said:

Yep, the spreadsheet is the way to go to for an accurate price comparison.  My point is that you can't rely on the quoted percentage discount, except perhaps as a flag to look more closely.  Your system takes a little work but has netted you positive results.

What I do takes longer but is the same thing.  I pull up the excursion, see the price, them go back to my calendar on the planet and see the price  I bought at... If it's higher, I cancel and immediately rebook.  The spreadsheet with all the amounts would save me an extra trip with each excursion.  Jane

Prices really don't seem to have any rhyme or reason. For my May 2020 sailing the drink package shows 20% off per person at $57. Last week it showed no discount and it was $54 per person. I got it for $48/per person on our 7 day Allure cruise last month. Hopefully it drops down to that range again because it was definitely worth it. The UDP is $118/per person which seems like a pretty solid deal for 5 nights. 

5 hours ago, Skid said:

Darn it John, I was JUST going to book that stateroom and YOU pulled it offline for 15 minutes with your mock booking. Shame on you! ??

LOL Joe!

Forget about a Genie... for $38K, the service best be on par with this on and off the ship... and my wife better get her own chair! ?

Image result for pharaoh chair

On 7/20/2019 at 1:57 PM, JohnK6404 said:

I wonder if Azamara includes the DBP... LOL! :51_scream:

Ahhh... the things you research online while waking up to a cup of coffee on a SAT morning!

image.thumb.png.58e73b7f254a30feb9e04f8ff8ca4441.png

You can find same in RCL :

14 nights Anthem of the Seas SKY class not even star

ant.JPG.05f4657cc8e54ae224d378db8b19d532.JPG

If you want internal room , it will cost you only 8000 $ !!!

I find it amusing when RC is constantly having a "sale!" It seems like RC cruises are on sale more than they are not and does anybody pay full price for a cruise anymore? You'd have to want it real bad!

Has anybody tried those last minute sales? When cruises are under like 30 days out? Are the savings that substantial?

15 hours ago, JLMoran said:

When in October are you going to Bermuda? I’m on the 5-night Anthem sailing leaving the 19th. 

I guess we are cruising together then.  Originally I was just taking my two youngest daughters but hubby got a free room also and booked his own reservation.  We had been going out of Baltimore the following week but I wanted more time in Bermuda. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Skid said:

For just a few dollars more, you can cancel your Symphony cruise and go on this one from Seabourn.. They don't give the DBP but you do get free laundry service!

Screenshot_20190801-220016_Chrome.thumb.jpg.593a6e18ffb05f0c12cd77c9c913f5fd.jpgScreenshot_20190801-221548_Chrome.thumb.jpg.93531babed538e4ef2f3d3f0c8c07204.jpg

Wow! 140 days! $344K for 2 people!

I'm in if they can work something out with Royal and C&A! Just need a 2nd mortgage first and I'm set! LOL!

That would just allow me to break Diamond Plus status if this were Royal! ?