First time on Royal Caribbean

Hey folks,

My wife and I will be first timers on a Royal Caribbean boat. I have done Carnival and Disney boats and my wife has never traveled outside of the country or seen Caribbean water.  We are going on the Harmony of the Seas August 11th. I was just wanting some advice on what to do on the boat and when off the boat. We are porting at San Juan, Phillipsburg, and Coco Cay. Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks!

26 minutes ago, Kingk92 said:

Hey folks,

My wife and I will be first timers on a Royal Caribbean boat. I have done Carnival and Disney boats and my wife has never traveled outside of the country or seen Caribbean water.  We are going on the Harmony of the Seas August 11th. I was just wanting some advice on what to do on the boat and when off the boat. We are porting at San Juan, Phillipsburg, and Coco Cay. Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks!

We did that itinerary in May.  Since you are new to the Harmony, you might enjoy the video orientation they do on the afternoon of Day 1 (for us it was 2:30 PM).  In fact, I've attached our compass.   You can get an idea about the events, or you can view other compasses on this slte (see the Cruise Compass tab on the very top).

Getting familiar with the ship- is important because it is so large.  My observations are:  (1) Central Park has great, intimate "concerts" in the evening, (2) music is loud in all other venues, so adjust your seating; (3) the shows are well-executed but may have confusing plots, (4) if one restaurant seems too crowded (especially day 1), try another food source.  We enjoyed the Solarium, for example, when the WindJammer was packed.   You don't need to do everything - just have fun and stick to your cruise objectives, whatever they might be.

There is lots to see walking around Old San Juan.  There is lots of "free" stuff at Coco Cay.  The Harmony has something new called WOW bands as an option, although we used the conventional Sea Pass.  You've been on other cruises so you know the basics (like using your stateroom safe for valuables).  Bon voyage!

HarmonyOfTheSeas-CruiseCompass-May26-2019-FullSet.pdf

4 minutes ago, ChessE4 said:

We did that itinerary in May.  Since you are new to the Harmony, you might enjoy the video orientation they do on the afternoon of Day 1 (for us it was 2:30 PM).  In fact, I've attached our compass.   You can get an idea about the events, or you can view other compasses on this slte (see the Cruise Compass tab on the very top).

Getting familiar with the ship- is important because it is so large.  My observations are:  (1) Central Park has great, intimate "concerts" in the evening, (2) music is loud in all other venues, so adjust your seating; (3) the shows are well-executed but may have confusing plots, (4) if one restaurant seems too crowded (especially day 1), try another food source.  We enjoyed the Solarium, for example, when the WindJammer was packed.   You don't need to do everything - just have fun and stick to your cruise objectives, whatever they might be.

There is lots to see walking around Old San Juan.  There is lots of "free" stuff at Coco Cay.  The Harmony has something new called WOW bands as an option, although we used the conventional Sea Pass.  You've been on other cruises so you know the basics (like using your stateroom safe for valuables).  Bon voyage!

HarmonyOfTheSeas-CruiseCompass-May26-2019-FullSet.pdf 26.03 MB · 0 downloads

Thank you so much! My wife is wanting to do all of these excursions and we have booked a few but I am trying to get her to understand we can relax and there is so much to do on these boats that are included in what we have already paid for lol

Also, I didn't know I could go ahead and reserve the aqua theater and all? Awesome going to book those tonight. Thanks!

Just now, Kingk92 said:

Thank you so much! My wife is wanting to do all of these excursions and we have booked a few but I am trying to get her to understand we can relax and there is so much to do on these boats that are included in what we have already paid for lol

Also, I didn't know I could go ahead and reserve the aqua theater and all? Awesome going to book those tonight. Thanks!

Yes, you book them like anything else in Cruise Planner, but they will show up as $0 because they are complimentary.  Also, at the end of the cruise there are a couple of shorter shows (ice and aqua) that are first-come, first-served.  They will be announced in the Cruise Compass.   The Love and Marriage show and other events are also announced in the compass, no reservations, and highly recommended.

• 2 weeks later...

We will be on the Harmony on Aug 11th as well. This is my wife and I's 2nd cruise (1st was last year on the Oasis). I don't have a bunch of new information to give you....but I do also highly recommend the Love and Marriage show....I was laughing so hard I cried when we went. Our itinerary on the Oasis was Western Caribbean so I have no knowledge of either San Juan or Saint Maarten and of course CocoCay wasn't open last year. Just kick back and relax! There is so much or so little to do on these ships, it's all up to you!

Maybe I'll see you on the ship. I'll most likely be wearing my Iowa State gear!! ? 

1 hour ago, rjac said:

Given the current political strife in PR, that port may be cancelled. Check you emails from Royal or give their customer service a call.:27_sunglasses:

I have asked Royal a couple of times about San Juan and I just keep getting the canned response "We're keeping our eye on the situation and we will email you any developments". I hope since the governor has decided to resign that the unrest will subside.