Favorite Ship? Please share and why!

RobinL

I'm with you @RobinL... my wife and I love the larger, newer, more high tech ships right now. There is so much variety for entertainment/activities, restaurants, etc. It's actually almost impossible to see and do everything on one sailing. I also look at these ships like I look at nice cars... I want the awe-inspiring wow factor! To me it's not just a cruise ship, it's an engineering marvel and a work of art. :27_sunglasses:

We love the Oasis class and the neighborhood concept. Absolutely love Central Park (and the Boardwalk, Aqua Theater, etc.) and no other class of ship (on any cruise line) offers that unique experience. We finally got the opportunity to sail on Allure this past May and we are now hooked on Oasis class! Symphony is next now in APR 2021.

We have now sailed on Majesty, Explorer, Liberty and Allure (in that order) with Royal. Allure is our favorite and was actually the least crowded of all four ships due to the awesome design! Majesty was our least favorite. We would definitely sail on Voyager and Freedom class again (preferably on an Amped ship). We also want to sail on Anthem since she is in our backyard and try a Radiance class ship one day. All of the ships in the fleet serve a special purpose and are amazing! 

I have loved every ship! I flip flop between Navigator and Empress as my favorite. Navigator because it has all the features of Freedom Class and is a little smaller, and Empress for the character of that ship, and the best Boleros and Schooner bars I have been to. And the cafecitos you can get at the coffee bar at the starboard entrance to Boleros.

Have yet to be on a ship I didn't like but Symphony is my favorite.  Love the neighborhoods (with Boardwalk and Central Park being unique), the shows (amazing!), the activities (waterslides, Abyss, zipline, laser tag),  the many food options, and so many areas to explore.  The ship too is so beautiful and unique with surprises all around.

My next favorites in order...Allure, Independence, Mariner, Voyager, Grandeur.

We have Navigator coming up which I'm guessing will go before Mariner, but lets see.  And then Adventure, Anthem and Harmony to fill in the pieces.

I love how different ships and classes offer their own unique thing.

2 hours ago, RobinL said:

We tend to lean towards the bigger ships because they are newer and have "more" but is that important to most of you?   Would love to know what is your favorite ship(s) and why.  ? 

Thank you!!

I prefer smaller ships, although I do love promenades.   I am just not a fan of the shows on Oasis class.  Central Park is a delight, though.  I think Radiance/Brilliance of the Seas were my favorites.  The pool tables and chess sets were unique. 

Any ship lol!  I have sailed on majesty, vision, adventure, freedom and allure.  I think I have loved things and found things I didn't love.  I was very surprised at how uncrowded allure felt (yes @Matt I wasnt convinced until I sailed on it!).  However, I also felt I missed entire sections of the big boat and it was pretty pricy.  My guess is that I won't have a fave... That timing right now rules how I cruise (teacher married to a teacher).  However, I will have 3 small ships in a row (majesty, vision and rhapsody) and I would really like to try an amped ship and playmakers or lime and coconut or bamboo bar at some point!!!  Jane

Thank you for all your responses!  Looks like we are all in the same boat (insert pun- lol!) .. any ship is going to be great when you're on vacation!   I do agree that the smaller ships seem to get to more locations.  My family is only able to do summer travel with school schedules so that seems to limit our choices right now with the bigger ships.  ? 

Thanks again for sharing!

36 minutes ago, sk8erguy1978 said:

My wife and I both are part of the larger ship fan base. To pick a favorite is extremely difficult, there is something about each ship I like.

We agree with you. Have been on all 4 Oasis class ships, Freedom and Navigator. Like the bigger ones as opposed to the smaller ones, more to do but less ports to see. We're going back on Oasis in November and Symphony twice next year, so I guess we're definitely in the bigger ship group.

There will probably always be more people who like the larger ships as there are more people on the larger ships.....It is like the question of why you are more likely to be in the slow lane/line.  By definition, it is slow because there are more people, so the probability is higher that you would be there instead of in the short lane/line......

At any rate, there are still people on all the ships with more ships being built, so they predict continued expansion in cruising.

10 minutes ago, RWDW1204 said:

We agree with you. Have been on all 4 Oasis class ships, Freedom and Navigator. Like the bigger ones as opposed to the smaller ones, more to do but less ports to see. We're going back on Oasis in November and Symphony twice next year, so I guess we're definitely in the bigger ship group.

31 minutes ago, RWDW1204 said:

Only sailed Oasis when it was first released, been doing a lot of cruises out of NJ vs flying to ports. Next year we plan on doing the Harmony and while there is only 3 ports (one being Coco Cay) I am looking forward to the 3 sea days with two of them back-to-back! The ship & Coco Cay is our main destination.

Also been on Freedom, Explorer, Adventure, Anthem, love the variety of things to do on-board. 

Have been on all classes of ships. We like them all for various reasons.    We and most crew members prefer the smaller classes of ships. Better service and much better food.  Unless you are in a suite and eat in Coastal Kitchen or do lots of specialty dinners. And you are able to get into a lot more ports that the big ones can`t.  Like Panama Canal and Alaska and so on.  

Just now, twangster said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Bay_Seasoning

Basically it's something that East coasters put on every meal they can.  

Going to be there in Sept. so I will give it a try.  Thanks I didn`t know.  Living in Tenn. we don`t have those sophisticated products here.  

1 hour ago, coneyraven said:

I haven't seen it, nor have I asked ..... because, I always have a flask of Old Bay at the ready.

Hahaha! Most people are smuggling in booze, you are smuggling in a condiment to put in booze! 

I know it's not really smuggling, but it sounds more piratey! ?‍☠️

1 hour ago, twangster said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Bay_Seasoning

Basically it's something that East coasters, particularly Marylanders put on every meal they can.  

Never more truer words were spoken ..... It was developed here in Baltimore, then sold to the McCormick Spice Co. years ago ..... funny thing is, the McCormick HQ is in a suburb just north of Baltimore....

And yes, I put it on EVERYTHING, Wings, Mac-N-Cheese, Popcorn,  Corn on the Cob, Stir Fry, Burgers..... you name it, I add it.

Fun fact, several potato chip companies around here have "Crab Chips" --- but only Herr's (based in Nottingham, PA - just over the state line) has the contract to add Old Bay, and mention it by name, to their chips.

Which ever ship is taking me on my next (or current, if sailing) cruise!

That said, though, I REALLY enjoyed Freedom this past winter. There's a reason it's advertised on Royal's website as a "Fan Favorite". Large enough for an incredible host of amenities and activities, but, not "too" large that it just becomes overwhelming.