Disembark Day

COAsh

So when we booked the cruise we purchased the Royal Caribbean round trip airport transfer. Our flight doesn’t leave until 4:45pm and my husband and I would like to explore old town San Juan. Any suggestions on the best way of doing this? Do we just not do the airport transfer and get a taxi instead? Can we explore San Juan and get the RC transfer later in the day? Should we take the airport transfer right after disembarking and store our luggage at airport and then take taxi from airport to explore San Juan and back? I have no idea what I’m doing as this is our first cruise. Any suggestions welcome! Thank you!!

First, I have not done this.....

But I do know that airports do not always take luggage more than a certain number of hours in advance.  Southwest is one that will only take luggage up to 4 hours before your flight.  Just something to consider.  There are several that have done cruises out of SJ on here so hopefully they have even better insight for you.  I'll be following along as we have not purchased our flights yet for FOTS in Jan 2020.  Given the flights are expensive from what I can see and have read, we're open to seeing these suggestions as well.

Dealing with luggage on debark day with a later flight is always something that requires some planning.  You likely don't want to drag your luggage around all day while sightseeing.

If your airline allows you to check luggage in the morning one option would be to return to the airport, check luggage with the airline, then taxi to Old San Juan from the airport.

Just an FYI - San Juan airport has an agricultural check point for all luggage.  Make sure to go there first before checking luggage at your airline.

They said there’s a place you can pay 10 dollars per bag to store your luggage at the airport in San Juan. I contacted them. I still don’t know if that would be worth it or not... such a pain, do you think our travel agent would have suggestions? 

3 hours ago, COAsh said:

So when we booked the cruise we purchased the Royal Caribbean round trip airport transfer. Our flight doesn’t leave until 4:45pm and my husband and I would like to explore old town San Juan. Any suggestions on the best way of doing this? Do we just not do the airport transfer and get a taxi instead? Can we explore San Juan and get the RC transfer later in the day? Should we take the airport transfer right after disembarking and store our luggage at airport and then take taxi from airport to explore San Juan and back? I have no idea what I’m doing as this is our first cruise. Any suggestions welcome! Thank you!!

Is there an excursion that includes airport drop off?   I've seen that on some of our trips.  The excursion might give you the "walking around" time that you need.

So we did San Juan with a late flight.  We read soso reviews of post-cruise excursions and we finally decided to just go to the airport.  Like @twangster said, you have to run your luggage through the agricultural check, get a sticker, and then check bags.  Of course, we had so much time, we bought duty-free alcohol and in this process I either lost or someone stole our passports....   Sigh... It was a stressful end of the cruise and maybe the excursions (mostly hop on and off bus type) would have been better!!! Jane

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

OMG. What a horrible way to end your trip !  What difficulties did this cause with getting home ?  I doubt you “lost” them...

We were ok because we were in San Juan so not out of the country AND the cruise was already over.  It was a mess at the gate trying to get new boarding passes issued but we were already through security and we still had our drivers licenses.  When we got back we had to report them, keep calling lost and found.... And then pay to get new passports!  It was a definite hassle.  Now I literally zip them and lock em on my body!  I'm crazy paranoid  now! Jane