Drink Gratuities

JC123

Hi - I am sailing in September and have pre-purchased the deluxe beverage package, and have also prepaid gratuities. Should I still tip the bartender every time I get a drink on the package, or do they get their share of the prepaid gratuities? (If so, do I need to carry cash?)

Also, is the MDR on Harmony open for breakfast and lunch every day?

Thanks! 

1 hour ago, JC123 said:

Hi - I am sailing in September and have pre-purchased the deluxe beverage package, and have also prepaid gratuities. Should I still tip the bartender every time I get a drink on the package, or do they get their share of the prepaid gratuities? (If so, do I need to carry cash?)

Thanks! 

Hi welcome to the forums, you can find a wealth of information here to make your cruise much more enjoyable.

Many here tip the bartender/waiter an extra $1 or $2 per drink in cash.  I find that it helps them to remember you, and your usual drink if you have one.   A funny story on the Majesty this past April, we asked to share a table in the Schooner bar and this lady started saying that we would have to go to the bar to get our drink, basically complaining about the slow service.  As she finished telling us this one of the waiters saw us and came to take our order, I chuckled to myself as we had never had that problem, thinking well maybe that extra buck really helps.  I don't think you are singled out for poor service if you don't tip extra but an extra buck never hurts.  I take a bunch of ones with me, and will take what ever amount I think I'll need for the day/evening with me to hand out as needed, the rest stays in the safe.  I also bring larger bills 5, 10 and 20's to tip others in cash like porters, MDR waiters and tour guides and the such.

The MDR is open for breakfast, but only open for lunch on sea days.  Breakfast in the MDR is made to order and they also have a small buffet.  The MDR has an item called a "tutti salad" for lunch that is really good.  It's a buffet station where you choose your salad ingredients, they chop and toss it for you.  It's one of the better salads I've ever had, and eating light for lunch, makes you feel better when you have that desert in the evening. :)

1 hour ago, JC123 said:

Thanks! 

Another point is that your prepaid gratuities for the deluxe beverage package (factored into the price you were charged) are for a hypothetical number of beverages at the rate of 18%.   If you drink less than the assumed amount (which depends upon the value of the drinks you consume), you are in effect prepaying more than the 18% in the DLB total price.  If you consume more $$ in beverages, then you are prepaying less than you would be paying "a la carte".   Then you consider the "rate" of the gratuity, like 18% versus the number you expect to pay for good service.  We assume 20% for good service, so even when I buy a drink a la carte, I normally "round up" on the receipt I sign for my Sea Pass.  Other travelers assume a higher or lower rate (15%-25%).  All of this means that the advice of @DandA is sensible, and also applies to restricted lounges, like the Diamond lounge where "free" drinks are offered during happy hour.  Since one isn't buying the drink, the waiter isn't really getting a gratuity unless you offer cash at some point (along the way or at the end of the voyage).  

Remember, we aren't talking official RCI policy here, just the practice of other travelers who are trying to make sense of the system and understand that the crew depend upon gratuities as a major form of compensation.

You do not have to tip the bartender because you've already paid. However a little extra here or there helps and the bartenders seem to go out of their way when you do. In my experience I don't tip extra every time, I do for excellent service or if I'm going to be there for a little while. I've never noticed bad service when I haven't.

I always tip extra. People have differing opinions on this of course. I don't know if it improves service, since I always do it, I have no point of reference. I think even though tips are distributed equally, if you feel that a server or anyone for that matter is providing you above average service, you should show your appreciation with a little extra $.

Thank you's and compliments are nice, but they don't pay the bills.

I usually establish a relationship with key bartenders early in the cruise by offering a single with my SeaPass card when ordering drinks with DX.  Pool bars for example.  

They get to know you and remember your drink orders.   At busy times this can work in your advantage.  

I was on Navigator in December.  Shortly after the ship went into dry dock and months later I was back on in March.   Bartenders not only remembered my name but also my drink preferences.   The very moment I walked up on boarding they they welcomed me by name with a smile on their face months later.  

A extra tip, a smile and patience when they are slammed goes a long way.

You don't have to tip above the 18% you have already paid.

PS - I still remember his name too - Edgardo, a great bartender.    Then there was Zoltan in the Bamboo Room, then...

Something else too is that it's hit or miss whether they give you a slip to sign or not.  It seems to depend on the ship.  On ships like majesty where they don't, then it helped to have cash.  On freedom or when I'm ordering a glass of wine that is over the 12/13, then I just add the tip to the bill land don't need cash necessarily.  Jane

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, DES said:

I have the drink package and plan to give bar tender $2 when I order a alcoholic beverage.  Should I also tip when asking for a bottle of water?

When you have the drink package the bartenders or server will get $0.80 to $0.90 for every swipe of your card.  That's less tip than I'd give a bartender on land for a drink so I often give them a $1.  When it comes to water once I've established a tipping pattern offering a tip for a bottle of water is optional.  It's not like a cocktail where they have to make it, they just grab a bottle and hand it to you.  Ultimately it's up to you.

On 7/14/2019 at 9:37 AM, twangster said:

I usually establish a relationship with key bartenders early in the cruise by offering a single with my SeaPass card when ordering drinks with DX.  Pool bars for example.  

They get to know you and remember your drink orders.   At busy times this can work in your advantage.  

I was on Navigator in December.  Shortly after the ship went into dry dock and months later I was back on in March.   Bartenders not only remembered my name but also my drink preferences.   The very moment I walked up on boarding they they welcomed me by name with a smile on their face months later.  

A extra tip, a smile and patience when they are slammed goes a long way.

You don't have to tip above the 18% you have already paid.

PS - I still remember his name too - Edgardo, a great bartender.    Then there was Zoltan in the Bamboo Room, then...

This is what hubby and I do and he did the same with the Navigator and people remembered him.  Also with the Allure.  We find the bartenders where we are going to be and give some nice tips and receive great service.