Ship water and water fountains?

In general how is the "tap" water or ship water? I have lost 72 pounds since last July, 1 year, with just 10 more to go to my goal. I don't drink any soda of any kind any more. Its really water 99.9 % of the time now. I would normally get the soda package on our cruises but no need for that now so I think I'm just gonna bring my reusable water on our cruise on Anthem this September. So how is the ship water taste wise, and where are water fountains to fill up at? Are there a lot of them all over the ship, is it a pain to find water fountains? Thanks for any info.

I drink the ship water.  I have been on several different ships.  They make their own, and you can also buy bottled water.  Several locations on the ship offer water by the glass, self-service, and the WindJammer has flavored water.  I am told that some of the soda machines also have a water option, but I haven't tried them.  I have found water on the pool deck and the promenade, and there is water in the stateroom (bathroom faucet), which I use to take pills.   For health and safety, they don't want you filling up a used container (like a water bottle).  Instead, grab a glass, fill it up, then later transfer it to your personal container.  Someone who has actually sailed the Anthem can give you additional details about that ship, and you can check deck plans to locate restaurants.

8 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

In general how is the "tap" water or ship water? I have lost 72 pounds since last July, 1 year, with just 10 more to go to my goal. I don't drink any soda of any kind any more. Its really water 99.9 % of the time now. I would normally get the soda package on our cruises but no need for that now so I think I'm just gonna bring my reusable water on our cruise on Anthem this September. So how is the ship water taste wise, and where are water fountains to fill up at? Are there a lot of them all over the ship, is it a pain to find water fountains? Thanks for any info.

Thanks guys, I have confidence now. I just have to find water fountains where I can. 

Do they really discourage reusable water bottles? People use the same soda cup all cruise so that makes not a lot of sense. 

I'm also gonna take the stairs most of the cruise if not the whole cruise just to keep my steps up and burn extra calories. 

Thanks again guys for all the answers. 

13 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Do they really discourage reusable water bottles? People use the same soda cup all cruise so that makes not a lot of sense. 

I don't think they do.  They make you pour into it as opposed to the direct because of the germ spread (i know the freestyle machine directly contradicts this but if they could I think they'd try to have it one and done).  And frankly, the fact that people don't wash their hands in the bathroom and argue over the purell.... Ugh I'd rather have them be cautious.  I don't know why there aren't more water fountains.... Not sure if it's hard to run the water lines?  I have never asked for water in the bars that isn't bottled so I have no idea on that but Park Cafe, windjammer and all freestyle machine have water dispensers.  Jane

There are not a lot of water fountains exactly, but lots of drink stations that have water available.  Bring your own refillable water bottle and a small amount of dish soap to wash it daily.  They don't want people refilling personal water bottles directly from drink dispensers for public health reasons but you can use a glass they provide and use that to pour water into your own water bottle.  

If you think about it it makes sense.  Your hands and mouth all over your bottle and if that comes in contact with the drink dispensers there could be germs transferred.  Public health code dictates using one of their glasses to fill a water bottle.

22 minutes ago, CFL said:

Congratulations on the weight loss!

Thank you very much, it's been a wild ride with ups and downs. 

This will be my first cruise that I'm not fat for and it's gonna be nice. Not being out of breath and feeling like crap. Now I won't mind getting dressed up for formal night and I will now. Turns out I like dressing nice now that I'm not a fatso. ? 

The really funny thing is what you would think would be the opposite. I would eat less on a cruise, especially in the buffet because I thought people would be looking at the fat guy at the buffet. The truth is no one was doing that but that's what was in my head. This cruise I'm eating healthy right up to the day of the cruise and then for 5 days I do not think about what I'm eating. I'm gonna eat and have fun and the day I step off the ship, right back to my healthy eating. 

Thank you again. 

The only ships where we have had problems with the taste of the ship’s water were Freedom and Liberty.  I don’t know if it is just a coincidence that these are ships of the same class or not.  The water on Lib started out tasting bad but got better a day 2 into the cruise. With Freedom, it never got better.  Since we had the DBP we just got bottled water when we wanted water but not sure what one would do if the water was skunky and they did not have the DBP.

3 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

The only ships where we have had problems with the taste of the ship’s water were Freedom and Liberty.  I don’t know if it is just a coincidence that these are ships of the same class or not.  The water on Lib started out tasting bad but got better a day 2 into the cruise. With Freedom, it never got better.  Since we had the DBP we just got bottled water when we wanted water but not sure what one would do if the water was skunky and they did not have the DBP.

I don't remember having an issue on freedom either cruise.....   Was it more than once?  Might have been an isolated event.  I think if you didn't like the water tastes without the deluxe pkg you are just outta luck.  Jane

10 hours ago, mom2mybugs said:

I don't remember having an issue on freedom either cruise.....   Was it more than once?  Might have been an isolated event.  I think if you didn't like the water tastes without the deluxe pkg you are just outta luck.  Jane

Yes, just once on each ship that I can recall.  We are back on Liberty in Aug so I can check it out again then.

There is an Evian water bottle package for $39 (+ gratuities) for 12 one liter bottles of Evian that is delivered to your room.  I think you can also get 24 bottles for $69 (+ gratuities).   The smaller size bottled water is included with the Deluxe Beverage Package and the Refreshment Package and those are available at the bars.  But I believe you can also get the smaller size bottled water individually from the bars and have it charged to your account.  I don't know how much those cost though individually.

6 hours ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Oh hey I forgot doesn't Royal Caribbean allow you to bring 12 bottles of regular size on the ship now? That might be enough for 5 days. I mean I may have to buy a bottle or two beyond that or fill up a bottle or two with ship water but I think I can get away with this cruise since it's only 5 days. 

Right! ? You just need to carry it with you until you are able to access your room.

Agree with what has been said!  I only drink what is free, and I too have lost a substantial amount of weight, 110 in total and do not drink soda.  Trust us, you will not have any issue whatsoever finding water to drink. I carry a 64 oz YETI bottle and fill it with ice and water several times a day and don't have an issue.  Just know that if you are using any of the water stands such as in the Windjammer that you can not fill it directly from the tap, you must use a cup to fill it with ice and water.  If you are at a Coke Freestyle machine then you are fine in just putting the bottle in the machine and filling it up.