Breakfast?

Nikkoo

Just to add to @DandA's answer, the opening times are quite limited. On sea days we are never up early enough for breakfast in the MDR and the knock-on effect of a later breakfast in the WJ means that MDR lunch has usually finished by the time we're ready for lunch.

6 minutes ago, Nikkoo said:

Thanks guys. In the MDR is it like a buffet breakfast or ordered from a menu?

sorry to be a pain but first timer here ?

thanks again

There is usually both options.  You can do a full service MDR breakfast ordering from a menu or you can visit the buffet within the MDR.

Not a pain, no question is irrelevant, welcome and ask away!

1 hour ago, Nikkoo said:

Thanks guys. In the MDR is it like a buffet breakfast or ordered from a menu?

sorry to be a pain but first timer here ?

thanks again

I'd say it's worth trying MDR for breakfast once, then you can judge.  I found it to be leisurely, as at dinner, with the chance of being seated with others with whom you can strike up a conversation.  I have also found the food sometimes lukewarm, but I never tried the buffet.  There is a limited breakfast menu.  The day I wanted blueberry pancakes they were serving chocolate banana....

There may be other restaurants that serve free breakfast too, but I am not familiar with Explorer. We generally end up at WJ. They have a terrific breakfast buffet, so it is quick. There are also stations so you can have omelets or eggs made to order. We eat late too. MDR is often not serving. We have tried it but their service has not been as good, especially if you are a coffee drinker. 

Do not miss the Tutti Bar on Sea days in the MDR. It's a great salad bar, where the salads are made and tossed to order along with some hot entrees and sides. And there is a full menu also! I'm sad that our next cruise only has one sea day, which happens to be the last full day of our cruise. Oh well, it will definitely be something to look forward to. 

Now that I've said all this, I hope they have it on all the RC ships, they have had it on our last ship. If they have it on yours, it's a must!

6 hours ago, ChessE4 said:

I'd say it's worth trying MDR for breakfast once, then you can judge.  I found it to be leisurely, as at dinner, with the chance of being seated with others with whom you can strike up a conversation.  I have also found the food sometimes lukewarm, but I never tried the buffet.  There is a limited breakfast menu.  The day I wanted blueberry pancakes they were serving chocolate banana....

Oooh...... Chocolate banana pancakes sounds amazing!  I have never eaten breakfast in the windjammer...on port days there isn't time and on sea days I'm always trying to get a deck chair!  Jane

5 minutes ago, FManke said:

Do not miss the Tutti Bar on Sea days in the MDR. It's a great salad bar, where the salads are made and tossed to order along with some hot entrees and sides. And there is a full menu also! I'm sad that our next cruise only has one sea day, which happens to be the last full day of our cruise. Oh well, it will definitely be something to look forward to. 

Now that I've said all this, I hope they have it on all the RC ships, they have had it on our last ship. If they have it on yours, it's a must!

This has been on my list forever but I'm always afraid I will lose my deck chair on sea days and never get it back!  Jane

7 minutes ago, mom2mybugs said:

This has been on my list forever but I'm always afraid I will lose my deck chair on sea days and never get it back!  Jane

Maybe you and your family could split up and take turns guarding your chairs, while the others eat! ?

2 minutes ago, FManke said:

Maybe you and your family could split up and take turns guarding your chairs, while the others eat! ?

Hmmmmm.  Only 3 if us going!  I'm thinking I'd end up eating by myself lol... Which might not be bad!!  Or perhaps my teen would be totally sick of us by day 6 and let my husband and I have a date lol....    Jane

8 minutes ago, mom2mybugs said:

Hmmmmm.  Only 3 if us going!  I'm thinking I'd end up eating by myself lol... Which might not be bad!!  Or perhaps my teen would be totally sick of us by day 6 and let my husband and I have a date lol....    Jane

You might just have to take your chances. I promise it will be worth it.

22 minutes ago, JennyB said:

We only ever eat breakfast in the MDR...buffet is great and you can also order from a menu...(eggs benedict are my fave breakfast food)...

We have never eaten breakfast in the MDR. Menu had just kind of standard breakfast fare. I like the fact that you can find some non-traditional breakfast foods in the WJ, like curries, stir-fried veggies, etc. 

11 hours ago, twangster said:

There is usually both options.  You can do a full service MDR breakfast ordering from a menu or you can visit the buffet within the MDR.

Not a pain, no question is irrelevant, welcome and ask away!

I've never eaten breakfast in the MDR; probably because we've always cruised with other couples.  I planned on trying it this cruise so thanks for informing there's a buffet in there as well.  

7 hours ago, Mr. Candyman said:

I've never eaten breakfast in the MDR; probably because we've always cruised with other couples.  I planned on trying it this cruise so thanks for informing there's a buffet in there as well.  

One thing to bear in mind is that the buffet in the MDR is much smaller than in the WJ so the choices are more limited. It's also proportional in size to the ship, which can be a deal breaker. We found that on Harmony and Navigator it was sufficiently varied for our fairly limited needs, but on Serenade it was not, so we only went once on Serenade and used the WJ thereafter on that ship.