Excursion on day of Embarkation??

Lovestotravel

I think I know the answer to this, but figure I will ask anyway!  Has anyone ever done an excursion on Embarkation day?  We sail out of San Jose, but don't leave port until 8:30pm on our first day.  Is it crazy to do something in San Juan that morning? What time do you HAVE to board on Day 1? 

Looking at my last SetSail pass for San Juan, it states:

• *Due to government regulations, SetSail guests whose cruise departs from ports in the United States are required to be onboard no later than 60 minutes prior to the published sailing time.

The muster drill for this sailing was 4:45pm.  Sail away was 8:30pm.

My understanding is that there was a second muster drill for any guest who missed the one at 4:45pm.  

Doing something the morning of the cruise departure is not a problem.  You might choose to swing by and drop luggage off and return later to embark.  Personally I'd try to be on board for the first muster drill.  Given nearly a full day around San Juan being on board around 3 to 3:30 pm gives you time to reach your cabin, maybe change clothes, have a cocktail and attend the first muster drill.  

I didn't do this in San Juan, but when my family and I sailed out of New Orleans this past February on a different line, we spent the morning wandering around the French Quarter before heading over to the port. We are early risers so we were up and at it early and had two or three hours before we headed to the port. Totally doable.

23 hours ago, Lovestotravel said:

I think I know the answer to this, but figure I will ask anyway!  Has anyone ever done an excursion on Embarkation day?  We sail out of San Jose, but don't leave port until 8:30pm on our first day.  Is it crazy to do something in San Juan that morning? What time do you HAVE to board on Day 1? 

Departing that late, it should not be a problem. Even like @twangstermentioned, if you board by 3:30 0r so, that gives you plenty of time to do something before embarkation. Unless you are one of those people who like to be on the ship ASAP. There a lot of us out there! ?

Happy Cruising!

18 hours ago, FManke said:

Departing that late, it should not be a problem. Even like @twangstermentioned, if you board by 3:30 0r so, that gives you plenty of time to do something before embarkation. Unless you are one of those people who like to be on the ship ASAP. There a lot of us out there! ?

Happy Cruising!

Thanks FManke!  Curious, what is the attraction for boarding early (first cruise)? 

Usually people board early to eat lunch.  Many of the FL cruises leave port around 4/430pm so many want to get on ASAP to eat lunch before the crowds and explore the ship.  It's truly personal preference.  Many like to get their luggage to the porters early so it can be processed early and ready for their room sooner.