checkin online v the app

So at last....I am within my 90 days and I can check in.  Yippee, its our first cruise and we are all very excited!

I've been glued to this blog for almost a whole year and I think I've read that if I check in via the RC App (which I have downloaded onto my mobile) then I can use expedited embarkation (we are on Indy from Southampton).  But If I check in online via a laptop I cant.  Is that right?

Here's the problem... when I login to my account on my laptop my check in is open, but when I look at the App every morning it keeps moving the check in date out a day.  So yesterday it said I could check in on the 13th, today it says the 14th.  Its been doing this since it hit the 90 days.

Is this normal and just down to a glitch in the App?  and am I right in saying that if I check in online I cant then get expedited embarkation?

thanks again everyone.

1 hour ago, Marmaduke said:

So at last....I am within my 90 days and I can check in.  Yippee, its our first cruise and we are all very excited!

I've been glued to this blog for almost a whole year and I think I've read that if I check in via the RC App (which I have downloaded onto my mobile) then I can use expedited embarkation (we are on Indy from Southampton).  But If I check in online via a laptop I cant.  Is that right?

Here's the problem... when I login to my account on my laptop my check in is open, but when I look at the App every morning it keeps moving the check in date out a day.  So yesterday it said I could check in on the 13th, today it says the 14th.  Its been doing this since it hit the 90 days.

Is this normal and just down to a glitch in the App?  and am I right in saying that if I check in online I cant then get expedited embarkation?

thanks again everyone.

I have checked I myself in online via my laptop and have checked in the other person on the reservation using the App and when we got to the terminal after I checked both of us in I was able to view both of out set sail passes but was not able to get priority embarkation(or expedited embarkation as you said) because I was not staying in a suite, high up in the CAS (Crown & Anchor Society which is Royal Caribbean’s loyalty program) and did not purchase “THE KEY”

THE KEY has several benefits like priority embarkation and disembarktation, internet access is included in the price, special reserved seating at all shows and special times for popular activities and being one of the first people to walk off the ship at/ be on the water shuttle to the ports of call.

SINCE THIS IS YOUR FIRST CRUISE CONSIDER PURCHASING “THE KEY” IF YOU ARE NOT STAYING IN A SUITE and WOULD LIKE ANY OF THE BENEFITS THAT I HAD INFORMED YOU THAT “THE KEY” OFFERS.

Thanks for reply. So the expedited embarkation only applies to higher categories of stateroom/status or if you have purchased the key?

We are in a balcony room so sounds like we are not eligible. I did consider purchasing the key but it is way out of budget. I know many of you cruise all the time (lucky things) but the cruise is costing  £7k for us and the kids and that's a lot of money for us to be spending. 

Looks like I'll just Check in online then, probably not a big deal as we plan to get to terminal early so hopefully queues won't be too bad.

Thanks again for info.

13 minutes ago, twangster said:

Don't think that requires the app.  I had it for Symphony and checked in conventionally using a computer.  

I gave up trying to figure it out.  I started our check-ins with the app but finished them all via computer.  My wife and daughter got expedited arrival but the rest of us didn't .  The only similarities are that my wife and daughter both have their passports as the rest of us do not.  

Expedited is not guaranteed and it doesn't make a difference whether you use the app or not.  I think Royal is trying to direct more people to the app with the promise of Expedited boarding because of the ease of adding the photo since you can take it on the same smartphone you are using to complete the check-in.  You do need to have a passport with information that matches exactly what you submitted with your booking (name/birthday etc.) and the photo has to meet their standards to even have a shot at getting it.

This is different from the suite and Key priority embarkation.   Expedited on your SetSail only means that you do not have to check-in at the port and you can just use your SetSail to board the ship when they call you for boarding.  You still have to board in the same C&A priority boarding regardless.

12 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

Expedited is not guaranteed and it doesn't make a difference whether you use the app or not.  I think Royal is trying to direct more people to the app with the promise of Expedited boarding because of the ease of adding the photo since you can take it on the same smartphone you are using to complete the check-in.  You do need to have a passport with information that matches exactly what you submitted with your booking (name/birthday etc.) and the photo has to meet their standards to even have a shot at getting it.

This is different from the suite and Key priority embarkation.   Expedited on your SetSail only means that you do not have to check-in at the port and you can just use your SetSail to board the ship when they call you for boarding.  You still have to board in the same C&A priority boarding regardless.

One of them got it without her photo which is why i figured it was more probable due to her having a passport

3 hours ago, Marmaduke said:

Thanks for reply. So the expedited embarkation only applies to higher categories of stateroom/status or if you have purchased the key?

We are in a balcony room so sounds like we are not eligible. I did consider purchasing the key but it is way out of budget. I know many of you cruise all the time (lucky things) but the cruise is costing  £7k for us and the kids and that's a lot of money for us to be spending. 

Looks like I'll just Check in online then, probably not a big deal as we plan to get to terminal early so hopefully queues won't be too bad.

Thanks again for info.

As much as it is fun to brag about getting on the ship quickly, in the big scheme of things, waiting a little during the on-boarding process is OK.  We've done that many times, and it's never been all that long.  On those few occasions we were early on the ship, we had to kill time walking randomly around the ship.  This can be awkward with a family and inevitable carry-on luggage.  Balcony rooms are very nice (more spacious), and some have other perks with them - be sure to find out if you have any (e.g., Boardwalk balcony on Oasis-class ships).

We've always checked in online and have noticed that the App still has some bugs in it.  We prefer to use it to explore the cruise schedule, dining menus, etc, but not to share sensitive data.  Too many cyber security issues out there.....

10 minutes ago, Mr. Candyman said:

One of them got it without her photo which is why i figured it was more probable due to her having a passport

That's interesting!  I wonder if they're getting her photo from her passport then, because I know they don't make you check in with expedited and check-in is where they would take your photo if you didn't submit one.  

I checked in with the app - cruise is in 37 days and I did the check in the first day check in was available.  I received expedited arrival on my set sail pass for all three parties in my family.   I've never expedited arrivaled (is that a word) before, so we'll see how it goes.   I also did not upload a photo for any of us when doing it with the app and still have not uploaded one, I'm not sure it matters if you do.  (still waiting on my glamour shot before uploading haha)

You can edit it without effecting the arrival time or expedited arrival because I had to add my crown and anchor number to my set sail pass after I initially checked in.

1 hour ago, AshleyDillo said:

That's interesting!  I wonder if they're getting her photo from her passport then, because I know they don't make you check in with expedited and check-in is where they would take your photo if you didn't submit one.  

I figured since the passport provides verified info, they were going by that criteria   I was going to upload her picture before we sailed anyway, just so that it was done, even though I know they'll do it at the port.  

41 minutes ago, mworkman said:

We had expedited arrival on Allure, here’s what we experienced. They took us to a area next to the suite waiting area, after 30 minutes they came and told us to go to our designated C&A level. ?  

i don’t think they knew what they were doing. Needless to say that Expedited Arrival was worthless.

What time did you arrive at the terminal?

Thanks again  everyone.   I'll just go Check in online.  As this is all new to me I'm not really sure what to expect at a cruise terminal.  I'm hoping it's a little better than an airport and that if we get there around 10am (We r travelling 600 miles the day before and staying overnight in hotel next to terminal) that we won't be hanging around for hours, or my husband will be cursing me for dragging the family there so early. Thanks again ?