hurricane season

Julie

I've mostly cruised during hurricane season and it's been a positive experience.  I've been lucky enough to avoid having my itinerary messed up but you should know that they can change your itinerary at any time if a storm is going to impact one or more of your ports.

I feel like the cost savings for cruising this time of year outweighs the negatives provided you can handle a change in itinerary possibly.

• 2 weeks later...

4 of my 5 cruises were in October. I only had 1 bad cruise in 2009, we hit an "unexpected storm" (according to the Captain) We had 28ft seas and 120mph winds for the first day. It was too rough for me,(I spent 20 hours in bed) but my family had no problems.

4 of my 5 cruises were in October. I only had 1 bad cruise in 2009, we hit an "unexpected storm" (according to the Captain) We had 28ft seas and 120mph winds for the first day. It was too rough for me,(I spent 20 hours in bed) but my family had no problems.

Wow! I guess that didn't stop you from going back

Wow! I guess that didn't stop you from going back

Actually that was the last cruise I was on, but no it didn't stop me from wanting to go. I'm looking at an October cruise next year. You really can't beat the prices in the fall. Sometimes it's worth the risk...

My hubby, who is a retired aircraft mechanic for the Navy, keeps reminding me its hurricane season. He does this not to scare me though. He wants to feel the boat rock and see the waves crash. I told him ok, but no hurricane when we're in port. I want to enjoy my excursions without worrying about being blown away. :-)

We have sailed in August and October without any problems on board. The August trip we did watch the RCL website and NOAA for storms as there were several barring down on the gulf (we sailed out of Galveston) but we didn't have any issues and the trip was great! We have had other sailing that had rough water but the best thing to do is stay topside (stay out of your cabin, unless you have a balcony) and take meds! Our very first cruise, on a different line, the first night was very rough and I took my medication and went to the back deck out of the wind and slept on deck, it was actually a nice evening!

RCL is very careful about keeping you safe, that is one reason RCL is our first choice! Canceled an Alaskan cruise when a group we are members of did a trip on RCL, best ever trip!

We have sailed in August and October without any problems on board. The August trip we did watch the RCL website and NOAA for storms as there were several barring down on the gulf (we sailed out of Galveston) but we didn't have any issues and the trip was great! 

My honeymoon cruise on Mariner of the Seas involved dodging storms but we hit all of our ports and nothing terrible in terms of the sea being rough. 

• 2 weeks later...

One of our first cruises was in the hurricane season and although we did encounter one it was not really a problem. The Captain just altered course to try to avoid it but we did catch the tail end so it got a little rough but with the stabilisation it was like being gently rocked to sleep. We didn't miss any islands on the itinerary and had a great cruise.

Just keep in mind that mother nature does what she wants when she wants the Bay of Biscay is a prime example of that any time of year. Weather can change at any time so my advice is don't worry about it just pick the cruise & the time of year you fancy AND HAVE A GREAT TIME :)

I was on the royal caribbean site today and there are some good deals for the fall but I am worried about hurricanes.  

Has anyone sailed during hurricane season? How bad is it?

I have cruised twice during hurricane season and thankfully I was never met with a storm or any other weather related situation while onboard.

I agree that you really can't beat the prices for cruising in the fall.

Julie, have you ever cruised before? The ship does move even in calm seas and you probably will feel movement.

I took a cruise from Cape Liberty, NJ to the Caribbean in May and the coastline has a lot of rough water. Going to and from the Caribbean the water was very choppy which made for a rocky cruise. It was the worst cruise I have been on when it came to movement of the ship. I didn't get sick, because motion doesn't really bother me. But I did see a few people falling over while walking and I did see vomit bags out by the stairwells. It was a surreal experience, but an experience that wouldn't scare me away from cruising. At no point did I feel my life was in danger, it was just all part of being on the high seas.

Sometimes you can forget you're even on a ship because you barely feel it move. I like to feel the rocking, the constant reminder that I'm sailing!

ALSO: Remember cruising during hurricane season it is very hot in the Caribbean. The weather is 95 - 105 degrees daily. 

Seven of our ten cruises have been in late November (Thanksgiving week) - don't know if it counts as hurricane season, but the worst weather we ever had was some showers.  Oh, and some cold air when sailing from Baltimore.

Technically it does but November is pretty tame in terms of hurricanes

• 5 years later...

Sailed twice during hurricane season. 1st time was on a smaller competitors ship, and yes felt its a little but not bad. 2nd time was on the Oasis of the Sea, apparently the hurricane was so back the Captian switched around the ports, you could see it was rough but we could not feel it. I would do it again not problem, and the rates are the best at that time of year

This is a 5 year old thread!

The ships sail full year round regardless of hurricane season.  Sometimes that means ships divert to different ports to avoid the weather.  Sometimes that means cruises get cancelled.  I'm sure the potential hassle keeps some people from booking, but again, the ships are full so plenty are willing to sail.

I have travelled 3 Times in August (peak Hurricane Season), and two times were fine but the last one was a dozy.  I was on an NCL out of NYC and on our way back the Captain decides to follow Hurricane Earl up the coast.  Well the pools and all outdoor activities were cancelled for those days.   If he would have delayed the ship by 4-6 hours that probably would have helped drastically.  But they were more interested in getting back on time so they can depart the next cruise on time.....  

Concur with previous comments.  Also consider your travel insurance, which usually has protection against serious weather problems.  If you are concerned about potential problems, make sure you have some type of insurance (it doesn't need to be RC).

Actually I like booking during Hurricane season.  Hurricane weather tracks while not a 100% are so well covered by multiple outlets you have a pretty good idea of what you might be getting into as you get closer to your cruise.  I know someday our luck will run out and we'll face some cancelled ports but so far that hasn't been an issue for us.  I would much prefer being on a cruise where the captain can move us as needed for safety rather than a land vacation where they virtually close the place and tell you good luck.  The prices are better, just remember to buy trip insurance.