Stupid Question?

1 minute ago, twangster said:

The single supplement is an additional fee charged to solo travelers since cruise cabins are priced based on double occupancy.  The normal solo supplement is 200% meaning you pay double.  You pay the cost of two guests even though only one guest sails.

If you can find a reduced single supplement, like 100% or 150% that is good, you are not paying the normal double. 

I booked a handful of Majesty and Empress cruises at 100% single supplement - no additional charge for being solo, an incredible deal.

Thank you for explaining this. Optimally I am looking for a 100% (which is not common) but 150% is not bad? I think I saw a few in my roamings last night on various sites so now what I saw makes much more sense. Having to learn a whole new vocabulary and environment! Thank you!

Empress Junior Suites are reasonable and for anyone looking to rack up C&A points, solo nets triple points in a junior suite.  With the reduced single supplement they are a bargain for solo travelers.  

I've got a B2B coming up in a JS on Empress.  14 nights will net me 42 C&A points.  Some people take years to rack up 42 points, I'll do it in 2 weeks.

Empress is the smallest and oldest ship in the fleet, so there is that, but if you are okay with classic cruising absent of zip lines and bumper cars, it's not a bad little ship. 

1 minute ago, monctonguy said:

If your ok and used to doing solo travelling..then cruising will be awesome for you. There is a good mix, lots to do and see and I have always made friends on every cruise(whether single or not) and still keep in touch with many of them. It will be a great time.....enjoy!

Thank you. My daughter has shown some interest in coming with me so I might have a buddy occasionally but I also am quite fine just going solo and relaxing. I know she's going to want to go do her own thing without me when she's all grown up and that's fine so I have my list of things to do to keep me busy and not sit there alone missing my baby.

I deal with so many people all day that I have to manage or direct that the idea of sitting by myself and not having to say a word to anyone or have anyone ask me a question (where are we going for dinner, where are my socks, what time is it, etc etc) is something I am looking forward.

I suppose I have spoiled myself with my already solo vacations and quite like being able to pick all the stuff I want when I want and how I want ?

I am positive I will have a good time. I am so counting the days! (287 to go!!!!!) I may do a solo blog about it as I have been watching the blog section and finding it helpful yet not many folks on the ship I am going on have posted about it. The last one is about 2 or 3 years ago (2017).

Most of my cruising is solo.  I get to do what I want when I want and once in a while I can pick an expensive excursion since I am only buying it for me.   Helicopter to a glacier or the Monserrat volcano for example.    

I enjoy cruising with family and friends once in while but it's different, waiting for them to get ready, doing things as a group, etc.  

8 minutes ago, twangster said:

Empress Junior Suites are reasonable and for anyone looking to rack up C&A points, solo nets triple points in a junior suite.  With the reduced single supplement they are a bargain for solo travelers.  

I've got a B2B coming up in a JS on Empress.  14 nights will net me 42 C&A points.  Some people take years to rack up 42 points, I'll do it in 2 weeks.

Empress is the smallest and oldest ship in the fleet, so there is that, but if you are okay with classic cruising absent of zip lines and bumper cars, it's not a bad little ship. 

I've seen some B2B on You Tube which look fun to try. And the Empress! I love little ships. I have a friend who watches the videos with me long distance at night and after watching one on a Carnival Cruise I was saying to him that my idea of a cruise was more along the lines of "Hercule Poirot" vs "Fast Times at Ridgemont High".

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate "fun" but for me, a vacation is to get away from all the crazy busy-ness of life. I go to conferences for work and they are full of drunk people hollering and team building events with zip lines and.... I just want to decompress. It may sound silly but I don't want to do things on a cruise that I can do here at home. I have a mall down the road and after looking at some of the larger ships they just seem like a floating shopping mall.....

I just looked and the Empress is darling. And I can grab an Amtrak down to that area for $92 !

I should make this my profile pic lol

s-l300.jpg

36 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

As far as I know you don't even need to check the other person in or submit any documentation for them.  It's not like flying..you don't even have to check yourself in online for a cruise.  You can just show up at the port and do it.  They don't ask for ID/passport information until the check-in process.  Booking for 2 will also allow you to add someone later on.  The catch is that you have to fork over double the deposit and Royal gets to hold onto the second person's port taxes and fees until after the cruise.  Another catch is that if you want to do the deluxe beverage package you have to pay for both..now the no-show will get the package refunded but it still means you have to let Royal hold onto more of your money.

When you do the comparison for 1 to 2 when making a booking you definitely need to go the route of choosing your own room and picking the room to get the apples to apples comparison.  

If you are looking for some sailings that don't have the 2x solo supplement Empress of the Seas on Aug 24 and Oasis of the Seas for Nov 24, Dec 1, Dec 8, and Dec 15 are ones that I have come across that aren't charging double currently.

1. Good to know for the documentation!

2. Not a big drinker so no worries with the Deluxe package. I haven't drank that much in my entire life let alone cramming it into a week!

3. Agree with doing the apples to apples comparison.

4. I am going to look more into the Empress since I can Amtrak down for a good price. Maybe even bring my daughter on that one as it will be my bday month and she hopefully won't have any practices around the holidays (she's a figure skater).

Thanks!

15 minutes ago, twangster said:

I enjoy cruising with family and friends once in while but it's different, waiting for them to get ready, doing things as a group, etc.  

I just got back from a week long vacation with my elderly parents (love them to pieces but...)

At one point, my daughter said, "This is not a vacation... this is going somewhere else to fuss about everything!"

(My mother is much like Hyacinth from those who have seen Keeping Up Appearances lol)

?

1 minute ago, twangster said:

I should have said I tolerate family when they want to cruise with me, but secretly I prefer cruising solo :10_wink:

One day I shall experience this solo thing people speak of..whenever I plan a solo someone always invites themselves along.  Being a cheapskate, it's hard to turn down the financial benefit of splitting travel/accommodation costs..but I still want to sneak away.

1 minute ago, AshleyDillo said:

One day I shall experience this solo thing people speak of..whenever I plan a solo someone always invites themselves along.  Being a cheapskate, it's hard to turn down the financial benefit of splitting travel/accommodation costs..but I still want to sneak away.

After my divorce, I took a deep breath and went to London. All by myself. I was terrified as I'd never done anything alone before but OMG.

It. Was. Amazing.

I started to do all sorts of things by myself. Concerts. Boxing matches. At one point I was parking for a concert and realized no one in the car was complaining about where I was parking...

?

I do have good friends whom I do stuff with but I like that at the end of the day I don't have to wait for anyone to have a good time or adventure. I can just go do it myself!

I'm now spoiled from traveling solo - when friends ask about coming I tell them fine,  but I'm not sharing a room. I'd love for anyone to join at any time but having a room to myself is my new favorite thing.

2 hours ago, JennyJenny said:

I do have good friends whom I do stuff with but I like that at the end of the day I don't have to wait for anyone to have a good time or adventure. I can just go do it myself!

100%

11 hours ago, ellcee said:

I echo all the travel agent stuff. I do my own research before I contact mine. My experience is the solo cabins are just slightly less than just paying for a double occupancy room. Let someone else do the work for you and find whatever discounts they can get you. @michelle is mine and a few others on this site if you'd like a recommendation.

thanks for the recommendation!  - just keep in mind too that some ships have SOLO cabins and they are priced without having the true double occupancy hit of extra money.  Many cruise lines do this as do River cruise lines, so always ask to look for ships with the single room option

50 minutes ago, michelle said:

thanks for the recommendation!  - just keep in mind too that some ships have SOLO cabins and they are priced without having the true double occupancy hit of extra money.  Many cruise lines do this as do River cruise lines, so always ask to look for ships with the single room option

I have friends that do a ton of river cruises on Tauck but that's a little more than I am looking to spend solo.

I hadn't seriously looked at river cruises as it seemed there wasn't much in my region and they were more for Europe.