Stupid Question?

I was just browsing options and I noticed a cruise for $781 per person for an inside stateroom.

Okay.

I most likely would go alone so I grok that it's double occupancy. I would have thought that at the most, it would be double the $781 which is $1,562 but if I select a single person I am quoted $1,728 per person.

Why in the world would I be charged MORE to be alone in a room than if I had two people?

Can I just book for two then oh well, my kid had a school thing and couldn't come? Or do they suddenly hike my price up if my "room mate" cancels and never boards even though at that point they keep their money?

For my first cruise, I have a room mate so this is no issue but I'd like to cruise more in the future but I'd have to go solo.

?

Seems to make more sense to book two people then one "just can't make it at the last minute" even though it's "paid" and just forfits their "payment"?

Or should I just bring my "imaginary friend"? Pretend I have split personalities and each will be sailing?

Am I missing something?

Good question.  I am sure others would provide a better answer than me.

However, the way I look at it, the cruise line factor it like this:

• If you have dual occupancy, you are likely to spend $500 on board per person whilst on the ship at a total of $1000.
  • When you are travelling solo, they know you will only spend $500... so they are technically missing out on the rest of the onboard spend.
  • They penalise you for travelling solo because they are going to lose revenue, so they slug you a surcharge for the pleasure.

Does it stink?  Yep, sure does.

Would your plan work (booking the room then the other person not turning up)?  Who knows... could be worth trying though. HA!!.  You should check the cruise contract to see what it says.

5 minutes ago, KristiZ said:

Just curious, did you step through the booking both ways to the final price? If not, it might end up pricing the same, since the initial price that shows doesn't include all the taxes and fees. Maybe?

I did step through the booking and it took me all the way to putting in my credit card info. And that price quoted for a single person INCLUDED the "BOGO" offer they are currently running. Meaning it was close to 3k for a solo traveler before the discount when it was showing $781 pp for double occupancy.

Um. No.

I did do a search of good lines for solo travelers and have found a few that either have solo/studio rooms OR don't penalize you for being single. Sadly, I may not be able to be loyal to RC if that's how they want to do it.

1 minute ago, ellcee said:

Are you counting the final tax? I cruise solo and don’t find that.  I just did a few mockups and still not seeing it. 

Here is what I am seeing:

Selecting 1 stateroom (inside), 2 passengers:

Interior Stateroom Guarantee

$2,132.00
2 Guests
Flash Sale
-$50.00
BOGO50 NRD
-$521.00
Subtotal:
$1,561.00
Taxes & Fees
$262.06
Total For Room (after discounts)
$1,823.06

Selecting 1 stateroom (inside), 1 passenger:
Interior
$2,638.00
1 Guests
Flash Sale
-$50.00
BOGO50 NRD
-$860.00
Subtotal:
$1,728.00
Taxes & Fees
$131.03
Total For Room (after discounts)
$1,859.03

Without the tax it's $95.06 more

After the tax, it's $35.97 more (I know this isn't a break the bank issue but I am irritated that I am penalized for being independent).

Perhaps I need to find a Sugar Daddy or a Boy Toy..... *insert eye roll here*

15 minutes ago, ChessE4 said:

Good reason to have an agent who can make a few calls and answer your questions....But sometimes it just doesn't make sense.  Best of luck!

Thanks. I am new to this so will have to chit chat with my travel agent. Perhaps they have some tips and tricks.

There are some RC ships that have cabins for singles and they are supposed to be 150% instead of 200% of the cruise fare.  You may want to check into those.  My hubby has one booked for April 2020 but it was a free cabin for him so I don't have the cost.  Do a search for which ships offer them.

3 minutes ago, Hoski said:

There are some RC ships that have cabins for singles and they are supposed to be 150% instead of 200% of the cruise fare.  You may want to check into those.  My hubby has one booked for April 2020 but it was a free cabin for him so I don't have the cost.  Do a search for which ships offer them.

Looks like Quantum of the Seas, Ovation of the Seas and Anthem of the Seas each feature 28 dedicated "studio" cabins for solo travelers on each ship, a mix of virtual balcony cabins (featuring 80-inch floor-to-ceiling LED display screens that project live images of the ocean and ports) and staterooms with actual 55-square-foot open-air balconies. These units all come with full-size beds and range in size from 101 to 119 square feet.

Looks like Quantum sails from Mainland China which I can't go to (work won't allow).

Ovation and Anthem are those really crazy big ships it looks like...

I guess I'll just enjoy my upcoming cruise that I have a room mate for and then talk to the TA and see what to do from there.

I like being able to pop over to Baltimore to cruise because I hate flying. I could drive to FL. Or the train maybe.

Just trying to get an idea of what my options are and the cost associated for future planning.

Thanks!

I found this but am not sure if I am allowed to provide the link that shows another website and other cruise lines also.

Royal Caribbean International

The Ships: Four of Royal Caribbean's nearly two dozen ships -- Quantum of the Seas, Anthem of the Seas, Ovation of the Seas and Harmony of the Seas -- offer solo-traveler staterooms.

The Cabins: On the line's Quantum-class ships, there are two cabin categories available to solo travelers, both offering standard amenities and European-size double beds. The studio interior staterooms (measuring 101 square feet) boast an industry-first virtual balcony: an 80-inch-high, floor-to-ceiling LED screen that projects real-time views of the ocean and ports. Meanwhile, the studio balcony staterooms (119 square feet) come with a real-deal, 55-square-foot, open-air veranda. (Standard rooms on the same ships would measure about 160 to 180 square feet, for comparison.) Each of the Quantum-class ships has 16 studio interior staterooms and 12 balcony staterooms apiece; these cabins -- located midship and spread out over decks 6 through 13 – can sometimes connect to adjoining staterooms for parties traveling together.  Harmony of the Seas offers a handful of studio interior staterooms with virtual balconies, but unlike Quantum-class vessels, the ship does not have any studio balcony staterooms.

7 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

If the prices won't match just book for 2 with the second passenger TBA.  You will get the second person's taxes refunded when they no show.  

...this was what I was thinking but there has to be a catch. Or who in the world would bother paying for a single person?

13 minutes ago, Hoski said:

I found this but am not sure if I am allowed to provide the link that shows another website and other cruise lines also.

Royal Caribbean International

The Ships: Four of Royal Caribbean's nearly two dozen ships -- Quantum of the Seas, Anthem of the Seas, Ovation of the Seas and Harmony of the Seas -- offer solo-traveler staterooms.

The Cabins: On the line's Quantum-class ships, there are two cabin categories available to solo travelers, both offering standard amenities and European-size double beds. The studio interior staterooms (measuring 101 square feet) boast an industry-first virtual balcony: an 80-inch-high, floor-to-ceiling LED screen that projects real-time views of the ocean and ports. Meanwhile, the studio balcony staterooms (119 square feet) come with a real-deal, 55-square-foot, open-air veranda. (Standard rooms on the same ships would measure about 160 to 180 square feet, for comparison.) Each of the Quantum-class ships has 16 studio interior staterooms and 12 balcony staterooms apiece; these cabins -- located midship and spread out over decks 6 through 13 – can sometimes connect to adjoining staterooms for parties traveling together.  Harmony of the Seas offers a handful of studio interior staterooms with virtual balconies, but unlike Quantum-class vessels, the ship does not have any studio balcony staterooms.

So. Wait. There is a ship named "Quantum" but also just a "Quantum Class" it sounds like?

So much to learn...

3 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

I"ve heard Matt suggest on podcasts to book for 2 people (any person for the 2nd person) and when the 2nd person doesn't show up they'll just refund the port fee and taxes on the 2nd person who doesn't show.

I can roll with that. Assuming I'd have to go through the process of submitting their documentation (meaning probably use a family member vs a random friend).

3 minutes ago, spiralqueen said:

If you don’t mind smaller ships without all the bells and whistles, you can find some fantastic solo prices on Majesty and Empress right now. My friend just booked a solo sailing for a 4 night ocean view room on Majesty for $391 including taxes and fees. 

Thank you. To be honest: I much prefer smaller less busy environments. I am not super keen on the ones that appear to be a shopping mall/amusement park on the water.

I'll take a look at those. Even a slightly higher double of the fare is workable at such a low price. I am going to go peek now! Thank you!

Are both the same category?

Pricing varies by cabin category.  Within the interior type of cabins are many categories such as 1N, 2N, 4N, 6N etc.  They are all interior, but different categories.

It's possible the cheapest interior category at the moment are ones that hold 3 or more guests.  Solo guests aren't typically allowed to book this category.  Once you select one guest it may be changing the category and as it happens, that category is more expensive.  

8 hours ago, twangster said:

Are both the same category?

Pricing varies by cabin category.  Within the interior type of cabins are many categories such as 1N, 2N, 4N, 6N etc.  They are all interior, but different categories.

It's possible the cheapest interior category at the moment are ones that hold 3 or more guests.  Solo guests aren't typically allowed to book this category.  Once you select one guest it may be changing the category and as it happens, that category is more expensive.  

That could be it ?

I tried to click through the same but the double occ lowest was a "guaranteed" and the single person option did not appear to be that when I did the click through again.

If the category was different than that absolutely could have accounted for that variation in price.

So the assumption of being penalized seems to hold less water. I'll have to play around with it some more and see if I can compare apples to apples as this might just have been an apples to oranges so thank you! This is exactly why I asked out here! Was hoping a more experienced cruiser could shed some light on it!

Typically solo guests can't book guarantee cabins but occasionally they can.  

Sometimes I'll book a friend with me in a GTY cabin but sadly many times they can't make it at the last minute and they are a no show at the pier.  In these cases I end up solo.  Shortly after the cruise their port fees and taxes will be refunded.

15 minutes ago, twangster said:

Typically solo guests can't book guarantee cabins but occasionally they can.  

Sometimes I'll book a friend with me in a GTY cabin but sadly many times they can't make it at the last minute and they are a no show at the pier.  In these cases I end up solo.  Shortly after the cruise their port fees and taxes will be refunded.

I think I have a friend that also tends to have to reschedule last minute ? Good to know that won't be a problem from someone with more experience.

I have travelled "solo" a cpl times......yes, Royal will charge you at least double in most cases. They used to offer single supplement at 150% on some ships, but I have no idea if that's the case any longer...prob not, as they lose $$ that way...and Royal is ALL about making that $$ once ur on the ship.

Booking solo you do get double points which for some ppl can be some incentive, but you don't get double points if you book a solo cabin. I had looked once and the solo cabins were MORE than me booking a regular cabin solo and paying double....go figure!!!!

Best advice is to get a good TA..or just check multiple sites as pricing can vary greatly from site to site as well as perks included.

Good luck!!

A lot of the revised 2019 Majesty and Empress itineraries that resulted from the Cuba fallout have no single supplement.  

I picked a few solo deals on them for the remainder of the year.

I'm perfectly fine on older and smaller ships.  I might step up to OV for slightly more space since cabins can be small on them, but with no solo supplement I couldn't pass them by.

Some Empress cruises go to the British VI which is rare for Royal.

1 minute ago, monctonguy said:

Booking solo you do get double points which for some ppl can be some incentive, but you don't get double points if you book a solo cabin. I had looked once and the solo cabins were MORE than me booking a regular cabin solo and paying double....go figure!!!!

Best advice is to get a good TA..or just check multiple sites as pricing can vary greatly from site to site as well as perks included.

Good luck!!

>>I have travelled "solo" a cpl times......yes, Royal will charge you at least double in most cases. They used to offer single supplement at 150% on some ships, but I have no idea if that's the case any longer...prob not, as they lose $$ that way...and Royal is ALL about making that $$ once ur on the ship. <<

After doing some research, I am finding that when you really eyeball across all ships, with the exception of the ridiculous luxury ships, for the most parts, I was finding what I'd call reasonable rates in line with each other for similar voyages. I did look at Celebrity, Norwegian, Cunard, Holland, Seabourn, etc. A few of those ships also had studios or single person supplements as well. I have no problem with anyone trying to make their coin but at a certain point, I do tend to go out of my way to avoid those that are TOO obnoxious about it.

>>Booking solo you do get double points which for some ppl can be some incentive, but you don't get double points if you book a solo cabin. I had looked once and the solo cabins were MORE than me booking a regular cabin solo and paying double....go figure!!!!<<

Yes. I was seeing that in some cases and in others they were trying to even that out to get the solo traveler business. I'm kind of looking at it like this:

I am a single woman (ten year single anniversary THIS year) who is also a Chief Officer of a company. I work long crazy hours and am a single mom with a teenage kid (who is amazing). I don't date and don't have a large group of single pals to cruise with. This does not bother me in the least. My one pal who I could probably talk into vacationing with me HATES crowds of ANY kind and the idea of being on a cruise ship makes them turn pale and shake their head violently NO. I am used to being solo and quite enjoy it so have no qualms packing up and going on an adventure. And, I think there are starting to be more women and men like me. Whether not wanting to get back into another relationship or due to being a widow, there are plenty of us older single folks with money and we are happy to spend it but I'd rather plonk it down on extra excursions or a bottle of Champagne for my table at dinner to share then to pay for empty space "just because".

The cost difference for what I was looking at was negligible at that. I pay more for nice pair of shoes or a Kate Spade bag. It just rankled me that it seemed like I was being punished for not running out and attaching myself to someone like a limpet just so I can get everyone's approval that I have a "person".

But I think there are some sly marketers and companies out there that are realizing this and starting to cater to us. I am on the lookout now.

>>Best advice is to get a good TA..or just check multiple sites as pricing can vary greatly from site to site as well as perks included.<<

I have never used a TA until now.

When I was a kid, I would see them in strip malls and remember how you would GO to the travel agent to book a trip then suddenly they disappeared and everyone had to DIY with the internet. Honestly? I did not realize they were still a "thing".

But this upcoming cruise is through a TA through the group I am going with so I guess I have one now so I can start to work with that. She is local and also part of the group so I can sit down with her occasionally and talk (call me old fashioned but I like that).

This board is invaluable with advice and tips and I greedily read everyone's questions and am learning.

I am thinking if I tell my TA: I am looking for X in the Y price range, can you let me know when it pops up? Then just be ready to rock and roll if it does is going to be the best approach...

?

9 hours ago, JennyJenny said:

...this was what I was thinking but there has to be a catch. Or who in the world would bother paying for a single person?

As far as I know you don't even need to check the other person in or submit any documentation for them.  It's not like flying..you don't even have to check yourself in online for a cruise.  You can just show up at the port and do it.  They don't ask for ID/passport information until the check-in process.  Booking for 2 will also allow you to add someone later on.  The catch is that you have to fork over double the deposit and Royal gets to hold onto the second person's port taxes and fees until after the cruise.  Another catch is that if you want to do the deluxe beverage package you have to pay for both..now the no-show will get the package refunded but it still means you have to let Royal hold onto more of your money.

When you do the comparison for 1 to 2 when making a booking you definitely need to go the route of choosing your own room and picking the room to get the apples to apples comparison.  

If you are looking for some sailings that don't have the 2x solo supplement Empress of the Seas on Aug 24 and Oasis of the Seas for Nov 24, Dec 1, Dec 8, and Dec 15 are ones that I have come across that aren't charging double currently.

3 minutes ago, twangster said:

have no single supplement.  

Okay. So when you say "single supplement" does that mean:

1. They tack on more if you are single.

2. They "supplement" the cost so you don't have to pay exorbitantly more.

The net net is: do I look for a cruise to HAVE a single supplement or to NOT have a single supplement?

I echo all the travel agent stuff. I do my own research before I contact mine. My experience is the solo cabins are just slightly less than just paying for a double occupancy room. Let someone else do the work for you and find whatever discounts they can get you. @michelle is mine and a few others on this site if you'd like a recommendation.

5 minutes ago, twangster said:

Also, the Going, Going, Gone flyer lists solo supplements.  Most are 200% but occasionally you'll see a reduced supplement on the list

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Multi_Dest/Special_Offers/rci_sales_event.pdf

That's a nice resource. It looks to be for Crown and Anchor folks so I assume I can have access to that after my first cruise. Does that show up in the cruise planner area or elsewhere?

1 minute ago, JennyJenny said:

Okay. So when you say "single supplement" does that mean:

1. They tack on more if you are single.

2. They "supplement" the cost so you don't have to pay exorbitantly more.

The net net is: do I look for a cruise to HAVE a single supplement or to NOT have a single supplement?

The single supplement is an additional fee charged to solo travelers since cruise cabins are priced based on double occupancy.  The normal solo supplement is 200% meaning you pay double.  You pay the cost of two guests even though only one guest sails.

If you can find a reduced single supplement, like 100% or 150% that is good, you are not paying the normal double. 

I booked a handful of Majesty and Empress cruises at 100% single supplement - no additional charge for being solo, an incredible deal.

2 minutes ago, ellcee said:

I echo all the travel agent stuff. I do my own research before I contact mine. My experience is the solo cabins are just slightly less than just paying for a double occupancy room. Let someone else do the work for you and find whatever discounts they can get you. @michelle is mine and a few others on this site if you'd like a recommendation.

Thank you. I fully acknowledge that someone more experienced (a TA) is definitely going to be able to work wonders for me.

Let me see how this one I have does (she seems nice but not sure how .....organized she is). If she does a mediocre job at best than I will definitely look into recommendations!

1 minute ago, JennyJenny said:

That's a nice resource. It looks to be for Crown and Anchor folks so I assume I can have access to that after my first cruise. Does that show up in the cruise planner area or elsewhere?

C&A members get to book them a day before the general public.  Note the flyer is for bookings made next week.  On Monday July 15 C&A members can start booking them, the general public the next day.

2 minutes ago, JennyJenny said:

Read the bolded line at the top..OPEN BOOKING dates..so everyone has access to these!  The prices will show for these sailings on Royal's site during the dates specified.  The flyer is just a helpful place to start to see if the solo pricing is reasonable for you as they are trying to sell the cabins!