Future Cruise Credit

JQ3

It depends.  In North America in my experience the first cruise where the FCC is applied has to be completed before the residual FCC will be issued in the form of a new FCC.

Other regions may not allow splitting the FCC between two cruises.

Typical FCC terms and conditions in North America:

(expiration date will vary based on your booking)

• Redeemable towards cruise fare only. Guest is responsible for taxes and fees where applicable. Not valid on Complimentary cruises, Incentive bookings, or Charter sailings.
  • One certificate per person, per booking, and valid only for the person noted on this certificate.
  • If credit is applied to a booking of lesser value, the difference will be issued as a new Future Cruise Certificate.
  • Royal Caribbean reserves the right to void the FCC Savings amount if the guest named above receives reimbursement.
  • Cruise must be taken by 10/30/2020.
  • Valid only for the cruise brand shown above.
  • As are all requests for reservations, the offered space is subject to availability, and from time to time, itineraries may be altered or services on a specific ship may be discontinued. Certain restrictions apply
  • Non-transferable and may not be redeemed for cash.

It looks like it can per the NA terms and conditions.  We were looking at a 5 day cruise which is roughly $1200 cheaper than our original Oasis 7 day cruise. 

As the T&C reads the difference will be issued as new FCC.

Thanks for all the responses!

Just be aware that not all Royal reps are well founded in FCC process.  

I let my travel agent deal with it and it took her several calls to resolve.  One told her no residual so she called back and pointed out the verbiage to them so so then they said first cruise where FCC was used has to be completed.  After completing that cruise she tried to get the residual FCC and was given another run around that wasn't resolved then the next day I got an email from Royal with the new FCC.

Bottom line is be persistent and if you don't like the answer call back and speak to a different agent.  

I applied my FCC to a cruise that was paid in full under 90 days away.  A few days later I got a credit card refund in the amount of the FCC we had applied to that cruise.  Once that cruise completed is when we went back and asked for the rest of the FCC.

Keep detailed notes.  If for any reason the new cruise is cancelled you'll appreciate having detailed notes about the FCC.

It depends on the price of the new cruise booking.  We also received the credit due to the Oasis mishap and re-booked on the Allure May 19th which was cheaper.   They applied the amount to the fare, minus the taxes and gratuities.  The left over you receive AFTER you return from the new cruise and can be applied within one year.   We're booked in January to use the last of the credit.

I have a related question.  

Our cruise was canceled by Royal so we switched to a different sailing and received $200 OBC as compensation.  But now due to change in work scheduling only one of us can go.  So my question is do I still get the full $200?  

Not sure if it makes a difference but the reservation has a refundable deposit. 

3 hours ago, Abyss of the Seas said:

I have a related question.  

Our cruise was canceled by Royal so we switched to a different sailing and received $200 OBC as compensation.  But now due to change in work scheduling only one of us can go.  So my question is do I still get the full $200?  

Not sure if it makes a difference but the reservation has a refundable deposit. 

Hi - FCC is issued in each person's name and has a 1 year expiration date on it

So if you cannot go it should still be good just for you to use on another sailing

FCC's are tricky - and best if you apply it right before your final payment on a cruise to
make sure you are getting all other needed discounts.  It is alot of work and if you do
not think you get the correct answer, call back in and ask again- lots of new agents
at RCI all the time

Here's a hypothetical scenario at this point... involves NRD instead of the OBC...

My wife and I already have a cruise booked for APR 2021. If we book another cruise next year ($500 NRD) and we wind up having to cancel, I understand that we'd lose $100 each ($200 total), but can we apply the $300 to a future cruise that is already booked?

Assuming that we have not made final payment on the 2021 cruise (and to make it easy assume the balance due is over $300), would they allow us to apply the $300 to that future cruise or do they convert it to OBC?

Thanks!  

In North America as long as you don't already have FCC applied to a booking you can apply FCC towards an existing booking.  

Any given booking can only have one FCC applied to it.  

Final payment made or date doesn't matter.   Twice I've applied FCC to existing bookings that resulted in an overpayment occurring.  The overpayment was refunded to my credit card.   

I've also applied FCC to a cruise booked under 90 days away.  When you book under 90 days the final due date has passed and you have to pay in full when you book.  There is no option to pay some of the total and let FCC take care of the balance when you book past final payment due date.  FCC can't be applied until you have a booking but to be booked you have to pay 100%.  So in that case I was charged the full cruise payment to my credit card and days later the FCC amount was refunded to my credit card since upon applying it I had overpaid for the cruise. 

I hope someone on her can help.  We have spoken to 3 different agents so far.  Our party of 10 was part of the Oasis mishap also.  Now we are trying to book again.  My new cruise comes to $4,000 and my credit is $3,950.  They won’t book the rooms until we each give a $250 deposit per person.  I don’t even owe $250 why am I going to give them in total for my family $1,000.  At this point I don’t want another cruise credit I want to just use what I have.  Has anyone come across this problem and and solutions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

16 minutes ago, DonnaC said:

I hope someone on her can help.  We have spoken to 3 different agents so far.  Our party of 10 was part of the Oasis mishap also.  Now we are trying to book again.  My new cruise comes to $4,000 and my credit is $3,950.  They won’t book the rooms until we each give a $250 deposit per person.  I don’t even owe $250 why am I going to give them in total for my family $1,000.  At this point I don’t want another cruise credit I want to just use what I have.  Has anyone come across this problem and and solutions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

The deposit is standard, my advice would be to pay it and then if the final pre-tax cruise fare is less than your FCC the funds will be credited back to your credit card.  

Keep in mind that FCC can not be used for the taxes and ports fees of the new cruise, it covers base cruise fare only.  It also can't be used to pay gratuities or travel insurance if applied to the new booking.  Those items have to be paid normally.

I used my Oasis FCC to pay for my Ovation Alaska cruise in May.  I had to pay the taxes and fees out of pocket but the base cruise fare was covered by my Oasis FCC.  I had some left over FCC so that was applied to another cruise. My taxes and port fees were $330 each so I paid that amount using my credit card.  I also added pre-paid gratuity so that was paid on my credit card (not FCC funds).  

Since the taxes and fees for my cruise were $330, a $250 deposit would effectively pay for most of that leaving $80 to be paid at final payment due date.  

43 minutes ago, twangster said:

The deposit is standard, my advice would be to pay it and then if the final pre-tax cruise fare is less than your FCC the funds will be credited back to your credit card.  

Keep in mind that FCC can not be used for the taxes and ports fees of the new cruise, it covers base cruise fare only.  It also can't be used to pay gratuities or travel insurance if applied to the new booking.  Those items have to be paid normally.

I used my Oasis FCC to pay for my Ovation Alaska cruise in May.  I had to pay the taxes and fees out of pocket but the base cruise fare was covered by my Oasis FCC.  I had some left over FCC so that was applied to another cruise. My taxes and port fees were $330 each so I paid that amount using my credit card.  I also added pre-paid gratuity so that was paid on my credit card (not FCC funds).  

Since the taxes and fees for my cruise were $330, a $250 deposit would effectively pay for most of that leaving $80 to be paid at final payment due date.  

Thank you so much for the info.  I appreciate your feedback.  Once more question.  Did you need to pay $250 a cabin or $250 per person.  I can do the $250 per cabin but person is a little much. 

20 hours ago, DonnaC said:

Thank you so much for the info.  I appreciate your feedback.  Once more question.  Did you need to pay $250 a cabin or $250 per person.  I can do the $250 per cabin but person is a little much. 

Deposits are always per person. 

Basically an FCC can only be applied to an existing booking.  You can't book a new cruise and use the FCC to pay the deposit, the booking has to exist in the system to apply the FCC against.  Once a valid booking exists, seconds later the FCC can be applied.  For a booking to be valid, deposits for each guest on the booking are required.

The only work around I have once managed success with is booking a cabin solo, then adding a guest later.  They didn't request additional deposits when adding guests later.  You have to be careful with this strategy though, there are pitfalls.  

You might consider engaging a travel agent for this one.  They may have some tricks I don't know.  FCC's can be a pain and frequently phone agents don't know the rules.  If you really want to book with Royal, book through the C&A team, they can also do new cruise bookings but tend to be more experienced.  ‭(800) 526-9723‬  

On 7/12/2019 at 8:37 PM, JohnK6404 said:

Here's a hypothetical scenario at this point... involves NRD instead of the OBC...

My wife and I already have a cruise booked for APR 2021. If we book another cruise next year ($500 NRD) and we wind up having to cancel, I understand that we'd lose $100 each ($200 total), but can we apply the $300 to a future cruise that is already booked?

Assuming that we have not made final payment on the 2021 cruise (and to make it easy assume the balance due is over $300), would they allow us to apply the $300 to that future cruise or do they convert it to OBC?

Thanks!  

Hi John - yes, as long as there is still a balance over $300 on that cruise you can  - and I would suggest though holding that
FCC until the last minute before you apply it to a cruise (has a year expiration date)   I have not seen them convert to OBC, others?

The terms of NRD bookings are pretty clear (for North America anyways).

• Non-refundable deposit: Non-refundable deposit booking (“NRDB”) cancelled prior to final payment due date will receive a future cruise credit in the amount of the deposit minus a $100 per person service fee. FCC is non-transferable and expires after 12-months from issue date. 100USD/100CAD/80EUR per person service fee applies to changes to NRDB ship or sail date.

I suppose anything is possible but I've never seen a deposit cancellation turned into OBC.  

12 minutes ago, JohnK6404 said:

Thank you @michelle and @twangster !

We just wanted to make sure that we would not lose that $300 or be forced to book another cruise within one year (since we would already have that one booked in that scenario).

As long as your 2021 cruise doesn't already have FCC applied against it, and...

Also be aware that technically the cruise has to be taken within the one year mark, not just booked.  

Note the verbiage above from an FCC:

If your cancelled cruise was in January 2020 you would need to take another cruise before January 2021.  Not just book a cruise or apply the FCC by that date, but actually sail on a cruise by that date.

This might not always be enforced but they have every right to enforce it and invalidate the FCC at the 12 month mark if you haven't sailed yet.

1 hour ago, twangster said:

As long as your 2021 cruise doesn't already have FCC applied against it, and...

Also be aware that technically the cruise has to be taken within the one year mark, not just booked.  

Note the verbiage above from an FCC:

If your cancelled cruise was in January 2020 you would need to take another cruise before January 2021.  Not just book a cruise or apply the FCC by that date, but actually sail on a cruise by that date.

This might not always be enforced but they have every right to enforce it and invalidate the FCC at the 12 month mark if you haven't sailed yet.

OK, thank you! We have the 4/24/21 Symphony cruise booked and we're also looking at Oasis while it's here in NY/NJ. We're looking between MAY and early OCT 2020 so that should work. Most of the Oasis sailings we've looked at have the NRD option only.

Our original Harmony APR 2021 sailing was cancelled by Royal due to the dry-dock and the Symphony cruise was one of the replacement options... they also gave us $200 OBC as "comp" for their cancellation... is that $200 OBC "comp" somehow considered FCC?

I'm assuming it's not since it was a swap due to Royal's cancellation... both the original Harmony and substitute Symphony cruises are in the same month of APR 2021...  hmmm... 

29 minutes ago, JohnK6404 said:

OK, thank you! We have the 4/24/21 Symphony cruise booked and we're also looking at Oasis while it's here in NY/NJ. We're looking between MAY and early OCT 2020 so that should work. Most of the Oasis sailings we've looked at have the NRD option only.

Our original Harmony APR 2021 sailing was cancelled by Royal due to the dry-dock and the Symphony cruise was one of the replacement options... they also gave us $200 OBC as "comp" for their cancellation... is that $200 OBC "comp" somehow considered FCC?

I'm assuming it's not since it was a swap due to Royal's cancellation... both the original Harmony and substitute Symphony cruises are in the same month of APR 2021...  hmmm... 

The $200 OBC comes from the redeployment desk and it is OBC (On Board Credit).  I had some OBC for a canceled cruise due to a charter.  Upon booking a replacement cruise the $200 OBC showed up in my cruise planner immediately and I quickly spent it ;) 

Future Cruise Credit was also known as Future Cruise Certificate.  It's a certificate that can be used against a future cruise.  It can be applied towards the base cruise fare only and once applied it reduces the amount due on final payment due date.  FCC can NOT be spent in the cruise planner, it can only be used to pay towards the base fare of the cruise.

OBC is for spending towards on board purchases or in the case of redeployment OBC in can also be spent on advance purchases in the cruise planner.  OBC can NOT be used to pay the base fare of the cruise.  

Make sense?

29 minutes ago, twangster said:

The $200 OBC comes from the redeployment desk and it is OBC (On Board Credit).  I had some OBC for a canceled cruise due to a charter.  Upon booking a replacement cruise the $200 OBC showed up in my cruise planner immediately and I quickly spent it ?

Future Cruise Credit was also known as Future Cruise Certificate.  It's a certificate that can be used against a future cruise.  It can be applied towards the base cruise fare only and once applied it reduces the amount due on final payment due date.  FCC can NOT be spent in the cruise planner, it can only be used to pay towards the base fare of the cruise.

OBC is for spending towards on board purchases or in the case of redeployment OBC in can also be spent on advance purchases in the cruise planner.  OBC can NOT be used to pay the base fare of the cruise.  

Make sense?

Got it, I think, LOL! ?

OBC is OBC regardless of source and has no impact on the application of FCC. We just cannot use multiple FCC “vouchers” on the same cruise and FCC must be applied to cruise fare and used on a sailing scheduled within one year of the cancellation. Thanks!

• 7 months later...

am sadly cancelling my May 10 cruise because I planned to travel with my 81 year old mother with a hear condition and diabetes. Dont want her to take unnecessary risk.  

My understanding is that we will each get 2 FCCs even though I paid for everything.  The 2 kids get none as they sailed under kids sail free. These credits are non transferable. So let's say I cruise again with my kids under 12 and she decides not to go. Can we put her on the reservation, use her FCC and do a name change if she decides not to go but still keep the value of her FCC  on the reservation?

If we dont or cant do a name change and she doesn't go, can she just be a no show and we keep the value of her FCC on the reservation?

We always sail during kids sail free. So the price for 1 adult and 2 kids is the same as 2 adults and 2 kids. The only extra is port fee/tax which will be refunded in the case of a no show.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give in answering this question especially if it's from personal experience.

That's a great question.  I feel sure that the option to change names would not work.  It's pretty clear that the FCC are non-transferable, so I don't imagine anyone else could claim the FCC value, even if she was listed originally ...but the no-show might work.  I really don't know.

43 minutes ago, AGSLC5 said:

They seem to be VERY STRICT when it comes to FCC.. I had one from a hurricane and it was difficult. It was only allowed to be used for me.. I don't think your plan is going to work but hey you could try.. 

Ok, thanks. Sounds like name change will not work. Wonder how a no show is treated when one person on reservation has used FCC.

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

That's a great question.  I feel sure that the option to change names would not work.  It's pretty clear that the FCC are non-transferable, so I don't imagine anyone else could claim the FCC value, even if she was listed originally ...but the no-show might work.  I really don't know.

Makes sense. Wondering if I will de denided boarding or asked to pay extra if she is a no show. I dont know if I will be able to convince her to set foot on a cruise ship. Hopefully she would be treated like any other no show regardless of the fact that a FCC was used?

3 hours ago, MoniMommy said:

My understanding is that we will each get 2 FCCs even though I paid for everything.  The 2 kids get none as they sailed under kids sail free. These credits are non transferable. So let's say I cruise again with my kids under 12 and she decides not to go. Can we put her on the reservation, use her FCC and do a name change if she decides not to go but still keep the value of her FCC  on the reservation?

Not sure about the name change thing at all but I don't see why the no show thing wouldn't work.  If you book a cabin with someone else and they no show it's not like the ship tracks you down to recoup any lost costs for the no show.  They already have their cruise fare which isn't refundable by that point.  

I have a May 13th cruise that I paid $5400 for fare, taxes, and gratuities for an interior room. I am a single cruiser. Now, it looks like one can purchase a "We choose your room" room at much lower rates. For example, I could now book a balcony room on the same cruise for about $3000.
With the "Cruise with Confidence" it looks like I could get a FCC for my original booking, but would I be able to apply that FCC to re-booking the same cruise? The difference in prices is almost another whole vacation!

37 minutes ago, JackL said:

I have a May 13th cruise that I paid $5400 for fare, taxes, and gratuities for an interior room. I am a single cruiser. Now, it looks like one can purchase a "We choose your room" room at much lower rates. For example, I could now book a balcony room on the same cruise for about $3000.
With the "Cruise with Confidence" it looks like I could get a FCC for my original booking, but would I be able to apply that FCC to re-booking the same cruise? The difference in prices is almost another whole vacation!

@annette mentioned that it would probably not be possible to use the FCC on the same cruise from which it was originally issued, although I don't know that anyone has tried it yet.  If I were you, I would try and upgrade my current interior room to a higher cabin category rather than trying to get any money back.  Chances are there are higher room categories currently available for less than what you paid and at least you would get a nicer room even if you do not get any $$ refund.

On 3/7/2020 at 4:43 PM, MoniMommy said:

If we dont or cant do a name change and she doesn't go, can she just be a no show and we keep the value of her FCC on the reservation?

That shouldn't be a problem.  I went one time and at the last minute my friend had things come up and couldn't go.  It was no problem when I let them know when I was checking in at the port.  In hindsight, I should have asked for the port charges to be refunded.

6 minutes ago, CruiseWeaver said:

That shouldn't be a problem.  I went one time and at the last minute my friend had things come up and couldn't go.  It was no problem when I let them know when I was checking in at the port.  In hindsight, I should have asked for the port charges to be refunded.

Thanks. Was that reservation booked with a FCC?