CocoCay South Beach closure

Received this email yesterday...kind of bummed - they just opened the new Cococay 608 weeks ago...wasn't expecting part of it to be closed!  Hope we are the only ship there that day!

REIMAGINING in Process!

Inbox
x

profile_mask2.png

Royal Caribbean International Express Notification Alerts <[email protected]>

Tue, Jul 9, 4:25 PM (17 hours ago)

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to me
cleardot.gif

Royal Caribbean

ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS

Dear Guest,

Our private destination, Perfect Day at CocoCay, is unlike any in the world and has something for everyone. Lounge in our Oasis Lagoon, the Caribbean’s largest freshwater pool, or take the plunge down North America’s tallest waterslide, Daredevil’s Peak! When hunger strikes, indulge in all-you-can-eat tacos and guac at Skipper’s Grill and Chill Grill. Or, swing by Snack Shack, whose array of fresh bites are perfect for those grab & go moments. Need a refreshing beach cocktail? Captain Jack’s is the perfect place to chill with live music and great views. Soar to new heights on Up, Up & Away or just unwind at your leisure. Either way, Perfect Day at CocoCay has you covered! You are going to love it here!

The island is pretty darn epic! Not only are we screaming it from the rooftops, but so are they. Oh, and them too. And, we are still at it! We continue to update areas to make sure they are larger-than-life. During your visit, South Beach will be closed to make way for Coco Beach Club and a reimagined South Beach. But don’t worry, we’ve got you covered. While we work on these areas, we’ve relocated our fan-favorite features for your enjoyment. Our floating bar will be at the beach just past Oasis Lagoon and our Bungalows and Daybeds have temporarily moved to Chill Island.

To learn more, visit  www.RoyalCaribbean.com/PerfectDayCocoCay, which you can access free of charge while onboard!

We can’t wait to have you onboard. See you soon!

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean International

We got an email too.  We booked a cabana on Chill so we were concerned that now it will be really cramped, especially since they went from 14 to 20 cabanas.   Our TA contacted RCL and they have said the Chill Island cabanas will not be impacted.

I can't recall the exact website, but I am sure someone else will chime in.  It is something like cruiseitt.  I know for us we are the only ship.

I doubt it will feel too cramped.  When we were there in March there was hardly anyone partaking in the South Beach area and they only had 22 or so bungalows over there then.  The only drawback to it being closed IMO is the relocation of the floating bar.  It was a unique experience to get out to it in the water and it sounds like they are putting it at the beach temporarily during construction.

I just recieved the same email. I hope your TA is right. Mine is on a cruise herself right now, so I can't shoot the question over to her. We have a CI cabana booked in August. I was a little concerned when they upped it from 14 to 20 and now really concerned about the beds and bungalows finding a home. When I called RCI awhile back just with general cabana questions, they knew absolutely nothing. Hoping we hear soon first hand from someone about where they decided to drop the temporary items during the closure. 

9 hours ago, Erin.O said:

I just recieved the same email. I hope your TA is right. Mine is on a cruise herself right now, so I can't shoot the question over to her. We have a CI cabana booked in August. I was a little concerned when they upped it from 14 to 20 and now really concerned about the beds and bungalows finding a home. When I called RCI awhile back just with general cabana questions, they knew absolutely nothing. Hoping we hear soon first hand from someone about where they decided to drop the temporary items during the closure. 

We are on the HOTS on 8/25 and booked one of the Daybeds after hearing about it being nice and quiet on South Beach.  Now i wonder if it is gong to be a more crowded area around CI.  Hoping someone will be able to get some pictures ad they visit between now and our sailing.  Keep us posted if you hear anything new.

On 7/10/2019 at 11:54 AM, Pima1988 said:

No we are on 8 nights out of Cape Liberty.  We will not dock in Coco Cay until the 17th.

We are on the same cruise as you! We have a beach bed for tomorrow, I’m curious to see the setup. 

On 7/10/2019 at 11:29 PM, dahdoul44 said:

We are on the HOTS on 8/25 and booked one of the Daybeds after hearing about it being nice and quiet on South Beach.  Now i wonder if it is gong to be a more crowded area around CI.  Hoping someone will be able to get some pictures ad they visit between now and our sailing.  Keep us posted if you hear anything new.

I can report back for you after tomorrow! I plan on taking my camera for some good pics.

20 hours ago, KristenM said:

We are on the same cruise as you! We have a beach bed for tomorrow, I’m curious to see the setup. 

I can report back for you after tomorrow! I plan on taking my camera for some good pics.

I booked two bungalows for south beach. We've sent several e-mails to the excursion folks to ask where they are going to put these bungalows on chill island and if we will get our two rentals next to each other.  so far, they tell us there's no guarantee they will be next to each other, and only that will will have beach access.  I wanted to know if the bungalows will be all together or scattered around the whole island.  I really want them together also.  I'm bringing my family on this cruise to celebrate a special occasion and will be 12 of us, so therefore I booked two bungalows.  I'd love hearing if you can see the position they have put these  and thank -you so very much for anything you can provide to help me understand what exactly RCCL is doing.  We sail on Augut 11th.

We just got back this past weekend from our sailing on Adventure.  We had a cabana.  Basically if you are sitting in the cabana you can see the bungalows across the beach.  They are located closer to the ship.  The beach beds are located by the beach swim up bar.

As far as our cruise we were the only ship there.   We immediately went to the excursion desk to reserve our cabana, but was told that they no longer would be doing that, instead you are assigned a cabana.  The assignment number is correlated to when you booked the cabana.  Iows, we booked 9 months out and our cabana was number 10.  It was actually better than the one we wanted which was number 4 or 5.  The reason why is number 10 is located at the very end by the jeddy with no cabana on the other side, so it gets a really nice breeze.  The negative is it is a haul to the bathrooms compared to the lower numbers.  

@roslynch1972 If you booked your bungalows simultaneously and they do it the same way as the cabanas you should be next to each other.  However, if the bungalows are like the cabanas there will be 2 rows (I didn't walk over there to see them, but from our cabana it looked like they were situated in 2 rows).  As I stated we were #10, #11 was directly behind us, which means you may not be next to each other (left/right), but front/back instead.  

There was a family that rented 2 cabanas and they were next to each other (left/right).  What ended up during the day was 1 cabana became the adults cabana and the other became the kids.  I say in the end bc in the beginning when they 1st arrived they pulled over the loungers and chairs to 1 cabana, but slowly the loungers went back and it ended up being a kids cabana.

@BobbysGirl5617  You are probably too far out from your sailing to book the daybeds.  

FWIW, I would do it again without a doubt if I was sailing in a group.  We got the cabana for 400, so it was basically 50 bucks a person, in an excursion realm that was insanely cheap.  The staff was amazing.  I ordered a drink as I passed our attendant on my way to the bathrooms, just assuming she would leave it in the cabana, I walked off of the bathroom and there she was standing waiting for me with my drink.  The attendants would walk out to the edge of the water and scream out your name to ask if you wanted a drink.  In the a.m. they bring you a plate of slices of melon and pineapple.  They bring you your lunch.  The menu is very varied and like dining on the ship you can order all you want.  The funnel cake and greek salad were fantastic, the portabello sandwich not so much.  In the afternoon they bring you a container of fruit kebabs.

On our cruise we were suppose to depart at 5, but they extended it to 6.

If my hubby and I were to do it alone, I would get the beach bed.  We are water people, so when we are out of the water it is to lie down and take a nap.  Their beds are plush.

This was the 1st cruise for my husband's family.  My BIL and his wife had never cruised, my SIL is a die hard NCL cruiser up to that day.  Trust me for 3 days I heard her comparisons of how NCL did this better.  The day we were at Coco, NCL had 2 ships at their island.  They had to tender.  You can see their ships from the beach.  That day my SIL turned to me and said OKAY I have to say RCL does it better.  Later that night we did the Chefs table, and the 70s party, she was truly converted to RCL.  My hubby looked at her and said now you know why there is the cliché Loyal to Royal.

@BobbysGirl5617 The daybeds were offered @ 6 months out.  They disappeared for a while and than popped back up again @ 2 months out.  They disappeared again within a week or so.  I only recall this because on my FB sail date group it was a topic of conversation.  Most posters felt that the reason it kept popping up was people purchased them and later cancelled, thus they put it back up again, and sell out again.

I would suggest to go to FB and see if there is a group page for your sail date and see if anyone has one.  There is an Adventure of the Seas private group page, but  that is basically general info.  So just place the sail date in the search bar to see if there is one.

OBTW the day we were there the balloon only went up for a test run and came back down due to winds.  I would not say that it was windy at all,  but obviously as it went up higher the winds were an issue.  They also did not let out the jet skis by noon because they said the waves were too big.  

I was just told, via email, by the Excursions department  for RCCL that there will be no Day Beds or Bungalows available during our cruise in October due to remodeling and that all the cabanas are booked. Has anyone else been told something similar? I am concerned that we won't be able to find a nice beach spot to relax since they are removing all of the normal spots to chill (minus the cabanas). Any advice would be greatly appreciated!