Just got an email got Royal up

Wow I have been hearing about this but didn't know how it worked or if I'd even been offered this. We are in a regular balcony on deck 11 AFT.  The offer is for 3 different categories but the only one I'm thinking about is a spacious ocean view balcony. The starting or lowest bid 100 per person and that all I would bid. 

Anyone else go through this process? Is that a much better cabin than we have now because the pics look really nice? No chance I win that with the lowest bid right?  I think it's worth a shot but wanted to see what you guys say first. Thanks for any advice.

1 hour ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Wow I have been hearing about this but didn't know how it worked or if I'd even been offered this. We are in a regular balcony on deck 11 AFT.  The offer is for 3 different categories but the only one I'm thinking about is a spacious ocean view balcony. The starting or lowest bid 100 per person and that all I would bid. 

Anyone else go through this process? Is that a much better cabin than we have now because the pics look really nice? No chance I win that with the lowest bid right?  I think it's worth a shot but wanted to see what you guys say first. Thanks for any advice.

Is your current balcony a true aft balcony where you're on the back of the ship, or just the aft section of the ship on the side?  I wouldn't give up a true aft balcony.  

Do your research for your ship to see which balconies are considered Spacious Ocean View balconies so you can make sure you would be ok with any of cabin locations as you wouldn't know which one you could end up winning. 

In my opinion, I'm not sure that the extra $200 is really worth it just for the bigger balcony and a little extra room space.  I'd rather spend that on an excursion or specialty dining than a little more wiggle room in the cabin.  

Just now, AshleyDillo said:

Is your current balcony a true aft balcony where you're on the back of the ship, or just the aft section of the ship on the side?  I wouldn't give up a true aft balcony.  

Do your research for your ship to see which balconies are considered Spacious Ocean View balconies so you can make sure you would be ok with any of cabin locations as you wouldn't know which one you could end up winning. 

In my opinion, I'm not sure that the extra $200 is really worth it just for the bigger balcony and a little extra room space.  I'd rather spend that on an excursion or specialty dining than a little more wiggle room in the cabin.  

Yeah sorry, I should have been a little more detailed. It's not on the AFT of the ship as in the very back, it's just in the aft of the ship as in the part of the ship. 

I'm only gonna bid if I do 100 person so it's a 300 dollar gamble. I'm sure I won't win with a bid like that but worth a try maybe?

Just now, RCIfan1912 said:

Yeah sorry, I should have been a little more detailed. It's not on the AFT of the ship as in the very back, it's just in the aft of the ship as in the part of the ship. 

I'm only gonna bid if I do 100 person so it's a 300 dollar gamble. I'm sure I won't win with a bid like that but worth a try maybe?

RoyalUp bids are based on the first two people in the cabin only, so even if you have three people your bid will be $200.  If you're okay with any of the cabins in the spacious OV balcony category and think it is worth it, go ahead and place the bid.  You can cancel the bid at any time before it is accepted.  Sometimes you won't find out until the night before if you won the bid or not.  Make sure you check the pricing outright before bidding for that category to see if it may be just as cheap to upgrade yourself.

This bidding system is set up so that Royal can maximize their $ when someone cancels or switches to a different room..so someone upgrading last minute and opening up a spacious OV could trigger your bid to be accepted because someone in an inside has bid on a balcony room..so bumping you to the spacious OV balcony and then bumping that person will give Royal the  money for both RoyalUp bids.

11 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

RoyalUp bids are based on the first two people in the cabin only, so even if you have three people your bid will be $200.  If you're okay with any of the cabins in the spacious OV balcony category and think it is worth it, go ahead and place the bid.  You can cancel the bid at any time before it is accepted.  Sometimes you won't find out until the night before if you won the bid or not.  Make sure you check the pricing outright before bidding for that category to see if it may be just as cheap to upgrade yourself.

This bidding system is set up so that Royal can maximize their $ when someone cancels or switches to a different room..so someone upgrading last minute and opening up a spacious OV could trigger your bid to be accepted because someone in an inside has bid on a balcony room..so bumping you to the spacious OV balcony and then bumping that person will give Royal the  money for both RoyalUp bids.

Oh wow I didn't know that. Makes this even more of a good bet. I'm gonna give this a shot for 200 bucks what the heck. I'm gonna give it a try and put my bid in after work. 

There was just a discussion in a different thread about this very issue.

If you are already in a balcony, I would not recommend bidding on a RoyalUp for another balcony category.  I have read of people who paid big $$ to a RoyalUp to a different balcony category just to find that it wasn’t really an upgrade at all.  If you are in a balcony and want to bid on a RoyalUp, I recommend you only bid on a cabin that is a Junior Suite or higher. That way you KNOW that it will be an upgrade.  I have seen RoyalUp offers for balcony categories that do not even exist on the ships that they are being advertised for !  I say stay away from “same cabin type” upgrades and sick with ones that you know will be an upgrade.

9 minutes ago, dodgestang said:

If you bid $100...it is only a $200 gamble because bidding is only for double occupancy...so even if there is 3 or 4 in room....you only bid for 2 person

Boy people on Cruise critic are scaring the hell out of me. They are saying this is the worst move ever and if I win I'm gonna hate or could end up hating this move. I was thinking 200 bucks chance on a bigger room. Are they just being A-holes or is this a bad deal? I bid 100 per person, like you said 200 bucks.

Sounds like you already made up your mind.  Like most of the experienced cruisers on here have said,  you will be forking over $200 for a room upgrade (maybe) you havent even seen. So if that makes you feel good.....Go for it!

35 minutes ago, MikeK said:

Sounds like you already made up your mind.  Like most of the experienced cruisers on here have said,  you will be forking over $200 for a room upgrade (maybe) you havent even seen. So if that makes you feel good.....Go for it!

I actually cancelled the bid last night until I hear from MEI travel to see their advice. I have has our cabin picked out since day one and I like the location AFT by the glass elevators. So that's where I am right now.

different people cruise different ways.

Some people....have to have a room within a specific distance from the elevator, or on a specific deck, or in a specific general area on the boat.  These are the people who 'generally' don't do guarantee style bookings and select the room they want.  This also means if the chose to participate in the Royal up....they might not be happy because even though the room category might be higher....in their mind it wasn't worth it because several factors

Other people....don't care much and its a cool program

At the same time....Royal does have some 'weird' classifications....interior to ocean view, ocean view to balcony, balcony to suite...these are easy calls to make....but ocean view to slightly larger ocean view....man that's tough to consider.

I'm in a Grand Suite on Anthem 5 day to Bermuda.

My offers were... 

Owners Suite: min $300 pp

Sky Loft: min $400 pp

"upper?" Loft Suite: min $1000 pp

Here is my take. For $600, the Owners Suite doesn't excite me away from the Grand. For $800 I'd sleep on the Sky Loft and discuss with my wife, but that's a lot for 5 day cruise. For $1400 ($2000 - $600 for drink package since it's included) that's not horrible but also that's a lot of money for something we will not enjoy.

Those are the min bids too.

So, it's on my mind, but I'll probably pass.

Dan

19 minutes ago, sk8erguy1978 said:

I'm in a Grand Suite on Anthem 5 day to Bermuda.

My offers were... 

Owners Suite: min $300 pp

Sky Loft: min $400 pp

"upper?" Loft Suite: min $1000 pp

Here is my take. For $600, the Owners Suite doesn't excite me away from the Grand. For $800 I'd sleep on the Sky Loft and discuss with my wife, but that's a lot for 5 day cruise. For $1400 ($2000 - $600 for drink package since it's included) that's not horrible but also that's a lot of money for something we will not enjoy.

Those are the min bids too.

So, it's on my mind, but I'll probably pass.

Dan

Yeah I cancelled the bid. I like the location of the cabin I chose, I chose it for a reason. If I had the extra cash I would move up to a Junior suite, I really like those rooms but I hate that you don't get the extra points on a bid though.

You don't get to keep perks but you do get to keep promotions.  Promotions are OBC or Kids Sail Free deals.  Perks are bottles of wine, specialty meals or the soda package.

If you RoyalUp to a suite you will get all the suite perks but you won't get the additional any OBC promotion that folks who booked the suites straight up received.

8 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

You don't get to keep perks but you do get to keep promotions.  Promotions are OBC or Kids Sail Free deals.  Perks are bottles of wine, specialty meals or the soda package.

If you RoyalUp to a suite you will get all the suite perks but you won't get the additional any OBC promotion that folks who booked the suites straight up received.

Gotcha

Got a royal Up offer last week as well.  Already in a balcony and to go to a suite would be nice but you don`t get the double points so it is not worth it.  And to bid $ 400-800 dollars per person is a lot more than we will spend for specialty dinners and drinks ,etc.   Save your money and like others have stated you may get a room in a terrible location.  NOT worth the headache and other associated factors. 

My opinion is that RoyalUp is really only worth it if it's a bump up for:

Inside >> Oceanview or Balcony (has to be reasonably cheap as I often find the original booking price points to be close)

Balcony >> Grand Suite or above (has to be cheap because no double points)

Junior Suite >> Grand Suite or above (has to be reasonably cheap or at least what you think having free room service and access to CK on Oasis/Quantum classes is worth and the internet package)

Grand Suite >> Anything higher (has to be worth what the extra room/balcony space is worth it to you OR going to Star Class on Oasis/Quantum has the additional quantifiable value of unlimited specialty dining, drink package, internet)

Just now, sk8erguy1978 said:

I forgot about that. If you go from suite to another suite do you keep the double cruise points or lose them? 

Yes..if you are already in a JS or above you get the double points if you bump up.  If you bump up into Star Class on Oasis/Quantum class ships you do get the Genie and all the benefits of Star Class as well.

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, PRebecca said:

Can I ask a question here, I booked GTY Balcony and just today got the room assigned on my Set Sail pass, will that room stick or might it change again before sailing?

That will likely be your room.  You should see your muster station assigned and see it on your luggage tags too.   How far out are you from your sailing?

@AshleyDillo 43 days away, September 13th and yes our muster is listed. I cancelled my Royal Up offer as I am very happy with the room they've assigned but probably should have checked first if they may change it or not. Can't for the life of me find my luggage tags on either the desktop site on computer nor on the app. I can view my SS Pass but no luggage tags yet. 

10 minutes ago, PRebecca said:

@AshleyDillo 43 days away, September 13th and yes our muster is listed. I cancelled my Royal Up offer as I am very happy with the room they've assigned but probably should have checked first if they may change it or not. Can't for the life of me find my luggage tags on either the desktop site on computer nor on the app. I can view my SS Pass but no luggage tags yet. 

They should be in your eDocs...if you're looking at your account there's a link under the SetSail pass link that says View More Details.  That should have the eDocs link.  The luggage tags are the last pages of that document.  You should also see your cabin number when you click View More Details.

9 minutes ago, PRebecca said:

@AshleyDillo ok thanks, I see where they will be when the time comes, just not there yet although the room # is so maybe it will change again between now and then. Thanks for the help!  **is it tacky to cover my personal info? I've never been a part of an "online" community other than Facebook ?

Not tacky at all..very smart thing to do.  My luggage tags were available to print at the 39 day mark with a set room number..shouldn't be much longer on yours.

Quick Question with Royal Up; if I go into look for cabins available for the cruise on my date and it no longer shows as available does I guess that means everything is sold out, therefore if all cabins are booked I should assume there are no cabins open for people who bid through royal up in order to upgrade. Is this correct in my thinking

Thanks 

41 minutes ago, PRebecca said:

You should be able to see them any day now.  Typically they are available about 42 days (6 weeks) from sailing.  

42 minutes ago, DaArsonist said:

Quick Question with Royal Up; if I go into look for cabins available for the cruise on my date and it no longer shows as available does I guess that means everything is sold out, therefore if all cabins are booked I should assume there are no cabins open for people who bid through royal up in order to upgrade. Is this correct in my thinking

Thanks 

16 hours ago, DaArsonist said:

RoyalUp honestly has nothing to do with current inventory.  If someone cancels at any point from now until your sale date, RoyalUp has given Royal Caribbean a pool of bidders to pick from to upgrade.  It sometimes doesn't even mean the highest bidder would be the one who "wins".  

It should also be noted that RoyalUp is a logistics game....meaning as they RoyalUp one room, that frees up that room for the next RoyalUp-so on and so forth.  You really don't know what you are going to get and what could open up as a result of various RoyalUps or as AshelyDillo mentioned, cancellations.  My suggestion is if you are ok with being in any other room on the ship from yours in the set of RoyalUp you selected (so if you have junior suite, are you ok with any junior suite on the ship since you don't know which one you will get?) then go for it.  Otherwise, just stay where you are.  Another note with RoyalUp if you aren't familiar, is if you upgrade to a suite from a balcony or interior room, you do not get the double points that you get with a suite.  You only get double points for a suite when you book a suite level room initially-not with RoyalUp.