How Much Annual Leave Do You Get?

I have 4 weeks, plus 11 Federal Holidays (whenever US Gov market is closed, better than the NYSE :P) 

I honestly don't know any sick/personal leave details but I've never had problems when I had to use it

We also are mandated to take 10 business days off in a row so no frowning at 2 weeks here! 

Sadly, my husband can't do this so its typically a 1 week and change actual vacation and 5 business days of "relaxing" at home 

DH is govt he gets 30 days per year plus federal holidays, family days (IE Friday after Thanksgiving, Good Friday, 4tth of July on Thursday or Tuesday).  Can't really use sick days if it more than 3 days without a docs note.   He is allowed to carry over to the next yr., but can't have more than 60 days on the books.  Their fiscal yr is 10/1-9/30  

The trick is being able to take the time off.  He was on a fellowship this yr, so besides the schedule that they had set, he could not take off.  He needs to burn through 15 days in the next 2 months since he is standing at 75 days, otherwise he will lose them and bring him back to 60.

I get 4 hrs per 40 hrs.  In essence I get 2 days off a month or 24 days a yr, plus unlimited sick days, but like my hubby I need to show a docs note if it is more than 3 days.  

I would love to cruise more, but we have a son in the AF that lives thousands of miles away with his wife and grandbaby.  Thus, for us, we spend the majority of vacay time flying out to them every 3-4 months for a week.  

OBTW funny story.  My DH retired many yrs ago in Aug., the 8th of Aug. He had squirreled away his leave and even sold back 30 days to the AF.  Due to his new job he had to be officially off the books, which meant 10/1.  My kids being AF brats were like when is Dad going back to work?  He is annoying us.  They were not accustomed to him being around.  My reply was:  Not soon enough!

I love my husband, but after doing that we have agreed we will definitely be at least volunteering until we are in wheelchairs for the sake of our marriage.  

FYI,  My house is on 10 acres.  

Can "sickdays" be used for vacationing?

In France you are not allowed a definite amount of sickdays. Of course. Either you're actually sick, and you stay at home (an inspector can visit you), as long as you're really sick; or you're not, and you're fit for work!!! This is a surprinsing way of considering illness!!!

18 minutes ago, FroggyFlo said:

In France you are not allowed a definite amount of sickdays. Of course. Either you're actually sick, and you stay at home (an inspector can visit you), as long as you're really sick; or you're not, and you're fit for work!!! This is a surprinsing way of considering illness!!!

Companies have different policies in that some count 'sick days' different from paid vacation time. I think in recent years Paid Time Off or PTO has become more trendy. More companies have established policies where they combine sick time/vacation time and so on into a fixed amount of PTO. It simplifies things. The logic is either you are at work or you are not and the reason does not really matter.

30 minutes ago, FroggyFlo said:

Not technically where I am...not saying it's not done but technically we're not allowed. I know some other people in my company will put in sick days before they get to their vacation days but they haven't been caught at it yet.

28 minutes ago, FroggyFlo said:

In the US it really depends on the employer and their rules regarding it.  My current division with the state doesn't really specify the sick leave policy and leaves it up to the supervisor's discretion and monitoring for abuse.  I can schedule sick leave in advance for doctor visits and my immediate boss doesn't ever ask for proof.  But I can also call in and take a "mental health" day or two and use it for a quick vacation as there is no follow-up or proof required.  Requiring proof is a touchy subject especially as a state employee here once you're out of the one year probationary period and you are a more "protected" employee and can't really be let go without considerable cause.

54 minutes ago, Brenna said:

We also are mandated to take 10 business days off in a row so no frowning at 2 weeks here!

That's a good point. In the financial industry, we have mandates for either 5 consecutive days off if you're not considered to be in a "sensitive position" (e.g., direct access to trading systems or regular access to sensitive information about IPOs, mergers, etc.), or 10 days off if you are. Not because of any concern about our well being -- they use those mandatory timings in part to look for differences in trading system or other activity that might be indicators of the person doing insider trading or other illegal activities for someone "on the inside of the system".

Yeah, people are actually stupid enough to try stuff like that even now, and yeah they do get caught. I don't get why the ones with the sensitive access bother, it's not like they aren't already getting paid top dollar for their skill set and living the good life.

17 hours ago, Wnuk said:

Being self employed I get no paid vacation days, sick days, or paid holidays. I am the worst boss I ever had ?

What I do get is tons of satisfaction knowing I am making on my own. ?

I always tell myself I'm going to take the last two weekends of the year off, but it never fails. I just booked a wedding for December 20, and I have another on December 30 already on the calendar. I'll join you in that worst boss category. ?

I'm IT Manager for an electric utility, and have been with this company for over 17 years.  I am blessed to get 240 hours (30 days or 6 weeks) of annual leave (includes both vacation and/or sick days) per year.  I can carry forward up to 720 hours (90 days) to the next year.  I also get 12 paid holidays (11 federal + "Alaska Day").  I can generally schedule my time off and take it whenever I need (2-3 weeks isn't a big problem), as long as I coordinate with others in my department, so that we are not all gone at the same time!

This last May/June, I took about 3.5 weeks of vacation/annual leave, and tagged on a week-long conference for work, so was out of the office just over one month.

...and yes, being in IT, I travel with my laptop and occasionally have to VPN back into the office to approve timesheets or deal with various questions or requests as they arise.  While on a cruise, I do completely "unplug", put the cellphone in the safe, leave the computer turned off, and enjoy the cruise.  My co-workers know I will NOT be available while I'm on the ship!!!  I have great staff working for me that can handle any issues while I'm away!

Next summer (June 2020), I will be taking 2.5 weeks of vacation as we will be doing a B2B cruise on Freedom out of San Juan, Puerto Rico to celebrate our 25th anniversary.  I will then combine that travel and attend another week-long conference for work, so will be be out of the office for just over 3.5 weeks.  When traveling from Alaska, I really to combine personal vacations with trips for work (attending conferences), as the company gets to pay for the majority of my airline travel as airfare to/from Alaska can get very expensive!  I, then, just have to pay for the rest of the family to join me.

19 minutes ago, monorailmedic said:

I have unlimited paid leave, and they're pretty reasonable with letting you actually use it so long as your work gets done and it doesn't cause a big issue with coworkers helping out.  Not a bad perk.

My wife has similar paid leave benefits.  Right now, I get 20 days. 

7 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Same here. My company is a little unusual, as we don't get days of sick leave and instead get a state-mandated (NJ) 40 hours per year that we can take in 1-hour increments. Which is kind of nice, because last week I got a migraine at 4:30 PM and only needed to claim 1 hour of sick leave instead of trying to power through to the end of the day or make it up the next day.

I'm stunned at the folks from the US who get 30 days of PTO. I'd never heard of that. I always thought I was at the high end due to being in the financial industry, but you folks take it to the next level! Are you in jobs considered to be a high-stress or other mentally draining job, like @SpeedNoodles or @lauraodonnell86 who I recall are 911 operators? Or just great companies with really good policies for long-time employees?

Hey there! As a 911 dispatcher, I get 144 hours a year and have been here for 14 years. At 15 years, I will get a little more but I can't remember what it is exactly. We can also accrue up to 180 hours of comp time so that is a great benefit. Our sick time is separate from everything else and we accrue 3.34 hours a pay period. I have a little more than 1,100 hours so I should be set if anything happens. It caps out at 1,440. Obviously, we run a 24/7 operation so I'm working most holidays but that gives us the opportunity to earn more comp. And that equals more vacation! WOOT! 

7 hours ago, JLMoran said:

That's a good point. In the financial industry, we have mandates for either 5 consecutive days off if you're not considered to be in a "sensitive position" (e.g., direct access to trading systems or regular access to sensitive information about IPOs, mergers, etc.), or 10 days off if you are. Not because of any concern about our well being -- they use those mandatory timings in part to look for differences in trading system or other activity that might be indicators of the person doing insider trading or other illegal activities for someone "on the inside of the system".

Yeah, people are actually stupid enough to try stuff like that even now, and yeah they do get caught. I don't get why the ones with the sensitive access bother, it's not like they aren't already getting paid top dollar for their skill set and living the good life.

Yup! I am one of the lucky ones who has access to those things, hence the 10 days off 

Locked out of the building & all systems, I'm not mad about it ?

I'm trying to answer Skid about retirement in France.

Well, I don't understand much about it these days, because it is a sensitive subject in politics. Basically, when you retire you lose part of your previous wages. It doesn't depend on the firm you're working for, since retirement wages depend on the public system.

But the Social Security branch (incuding health care AND retirement wages) is sinking. Thus, the Government has been looking for ways to pay less and less, thanks to tricky and complicates means. Nowadays people can retire later and later, and their wages keep lowering. I can't explain much more because I chose to be a housewife, thus I know that I will not have such an income.

I currently work for public safety, at my years of service we get 6 weeks, plus several extra days to accommodate for  holidays, and personal days, and admin leave, depending on the year it can be as much as 7 extra days or more.  I can not complain whatsoever when it comes to vacation hours, and every shift is definitely earned and appreciated for all of the sleepless nights we have per year.  

As a part time municipal employee I get 10 vacation and as of now 4 personal which can be used as vacation.  I also accrue sick time and I have about 50 days, but that's literally only used for sick/doctor appointments.

My husband gets 5 weeks vacation, lucky b@st@rd!

I get 6 paid holidays a year (yay thanks company) and about 7 and a half hours every 2 weeks which is a little over 24 days per year, so that's 30 days per year.  I'm 6 years as a manager at an IT company.  I get occasional comp days for working holidays, weekends, and just killing myself with the unpaid overtime that is being salary.  But I'm a workaholic so I dont mind putting in the hours.

Just 4 more years until I make the massive jump to nearly 1 PTO day per week.  The 10 year mark is massive when it comes to accruing PTO at my company.  

I get 20 vacation 5 sick and 7 holiday. Realistically i can only actually be away for about 5-10 days a year, as i am always on call.  So I'll make 1 or 2 week long trips per year and use the other time "when i can" locally. Plenty to do locally so i don't mind much.   I can't be away during any holiday just in case I get called in, which does not happen often on holidays.

Most of my call just requires me to be available by phone to handle issues but it's just easier if I'm around.

I am a firefighter and get 360 hours of PTO (we work 24 hour shifts so that's 15 days).  Since I work every 3rd day, if I take 2 vacation days that's 8 days off.  We also get what they call Kelly Days which is a day off every 6 weeks, so that's 8 more days a year.  We choose our days off by seniority and I've been there for 19 years, so I never have a problem getting the days I need.

holy crap.. i feel like i am 100% out classed... i have 2 part time jobs, one of which i get 40 hours a year, and the other i get whatever i accrue (up to 58 or so hours), working on getting a full time job as i just graduated this may (this cruise is my gift to myself and my hubby, and it takes place over my birthday week)... im just glad i can get some pay for going..

18 minutes ago, Chaosgirl426 said:

holy crap.. i feel like i am 100% out classed... i have 2 part time jobs, one of which i get 40 hours a year, and the other i get whatever i accrue (up to 58 or so hours), working on getting a full time job as i just graduated this may (this cruise is my gift to myself and my hubby, and it takes place over my birthday week)... im just glad i can get some pay for going..

Don't feel bad.  Pay and benefits (total compensation) are rarely "fair", one can only look for consistency within one's chosen profession/occupation and employer.  Personal worth has nothing to do with wealth.  Just enjoy what you have, and let me wish you an early Happy Birthday!  As Hallmark Channel (smile) has recently stated, it isn't what you've achieved that counts, it is who you are.  Bon voyage.

Just now, ChessE4 said:

Don't feel bad.  Pay and benefits (total compensation) are rarely "fair", one can only look for consistency within one's chosen profession/occupation and employer.  Personal worth has nothing to do with wealth.  Just enjoy what you have, and let me wish you an early Happy Birthday!  As Hallmark Channel (smile) has recently stated, it isn't what you've achieved that counts, it is who you are.  Bon voyage.

thank you!! :) i wish i could go on more cruises. they are my favorite way to vacation! we havent had a getaway in over 2 years (as i mentioned, school), and no criuse since our honeymoon just over 4 years ago. I CAN'T WAIT!!!! i need this vacation, i work a lot!  

I have 248 vacation/personal hours a year, along with 16 hours of sick time each quarter.  I work as a retail meat cutter/butcher.  Been with my current company just over 20 years.

My wife only has 2 weeks total right now.  She's been in the same place for 15 years, but the company has been bought out/restructured/etc a few times, and each time she starts over with a "new" company, she starts her vacation time over.

Living in Maine, we really want to do a re-positioning cruise from Boston to Florida....but at 11 or 12 days, most of her time would be gone in one fell swoop

Currently living in US. On paper, I get something like 6 weeks of vacation time a year (plus sick time), and it can build up over the years to a max of something like 10 weeks. I also do an extensive and exhaustive amount of work travel, so we're all pretty much given the opportunity to get our work done and take whatever time we can, so last minute trips for me are fairly common (for example, if I did a nonstop week of work in Kuala Lumpur, it's not unusual for me to just take a few days in Langkawi or Samui before heading home, and I don't need to use vacation time for that).

I get 3 weeks or 15 days plus 6 holidays and my birthday.  But I do take an extra day here and there because I am always working and take my phone and tablet with me to work remotely.  I also travel for work which always involves working on weekends at meetings and trainings.  Until last year I was not permitted to take two weeks at once.  This year I'm asking for a 4th week because I need it.  I try to take vacation during a holiday week to stretch out the vacation time. 

Hubby is a community college professor who is being laid off at the end of the month.  He is/was off summers and long holiday plus hit Paid Time Off which they are encouraged not to use because college terms need to be completed on time.  He is fighting the layoff so hopefully that will continue to be his schedule. 

There are tons of people here in the US with little or no paid time off.  I'm always amazed at what people get in other countries.  If I get my 4th week this year it will max out what my company will allow.  I'm giving up a raise to get it but to me it is worth it.

On 7/10/2019 at 3:36 AM, spiralqueen said:

I know for me, personally, even though I get close to a month worth of vacation time I get some serious side eye from coworkers and my superiors if I use more than 6 or 7 days in a row. My coworker went to Italy for 2 weeks and had some comments when he came back from the owners about how long he was away. It goes over better if it’s spaced out. 

It's the opposite here in Europe in Belgium you legally have to take two weeks during the summer. I think it's designed to stop people trying to work 4 day weeks for 15-20 weeks which would create payroll havoc as it's all linked with the tax system and holiday pay. In Belgium you usually get paid 13 months a year (go figure) and the 13th month is the holiday bonus.... 

I have very generous leave arrangements 30.5 days per year and usually between 17-19 statutory.