Winter at CocoCay...

kittysoul

I was reading some of the winter time Cruise Compass's  and saw where someone had written in the temps on the Christmastime Anthem cruise.  They were pretty much in the range of  60... 65 degrees and windy...  This got me to wondering, if it is that cool, do people still do the waterpark at CocoCay?   I am going on Anthem for a NYE cruise and just wondering how this goes in the winter, when the temps are hit or miss...?

9 hours ago, kittysoul said:

I was reading some of the winter time Cruise Compass's  and saw where someone had written in the temps on the Christmastime Anthem cruise.  They were pretty much in the range of  60... 65 degrees and windy...  This got me to wondering, if it is that cool, do people still do the waterpark at CocoCay?   I am going on Anthem for a NYE cruise and just wondering how this goes in the winter, when the temps are hit or miss...?

This is actually the first year that the waterpark at CocoCay is open for the winter season, so not sure anyone is going to be able to provide any anecdotes about their experience with that particular water park but someone may be able to chime in about others in the Bahamas and Caribbean.

I know they run the Flowrider on the ship as long as it's above a certain outside temperature (around 50ish) but I think the water might be heated.  That wouldn't be the case at CocoCay more than likely.

Usually its the wind that kept them away in the past(tendering)....not temps. Now they have a dock..

As for the water park..I am sure there will always be someone using it even if it is a little chilly...avg temps even in Jan and Feb in Bahamas are around 80....so a 60 day is not the normal temp...can it happen..sure......I don't seem them closing the waterpark any day they have a ship there..

Money Money Money.....

Our water parks are open at 65 degrees.....but I am Canadian so...lol

We have been to Coco Cay, Labadee, and Nassau around Thanksgiving or Christmas.  The coldest was Nassau, where we tried snorkeling.  Nassau was also the windiest.  The private islands were warm enough to go into the water.  These trips occurred before the waterpark, but my point is that the beach was enjoyable although not as warm as in the summer.  The first couple of days out of Baltimore (or last 2 days in) were cool -- no one really sunbathing or using the outdoor pool.

10 hours ago, kittysoul said:

5 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

This is actually the first year that the waterpark at CocoCay is open for the winter season, so not sure anyone is going to be able to provide any anecdotes about their experience with that particular water park but someone may be able to chime in about others in the Bahamas and Caribbean.

I know they run the Flowrider on the ship as long as it's above a certain outside temperature (around 50ish) but I think the water might be heated.  That wouldn't be the case at CocoCay more than likely.

oh yeah, i forgot that totally! ... I started out by just saying the beaches, but you can definitely enjoy a beach even when its cooler...and so i decided to say specifically the water park stuff... and totally forgot that point, that they weren't up and running last year... lol  oops!    

48 minutes ago, Fairlynew said:

I ve been to Nassau in March and may and castaway cay in March.    I found the water to be uncomfortably cold all three times.  Of course,  I am cold natured and a whimp.   I don’t even like the ocean in NC until July.     

I agree with you.  I think it’s too cool in the Bahamas in the wintertime to go into the water.  

3 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I agree with you.  I think it’s too cool in the Bahamas in the wintertime to go into the water.  

I’m a wimp and this is why I hadn’t been to Nassau before our June majesty got re-routed there.  We usually cruise end of March and I’m heading as south as possible as fast as possible!  Jane

7 hours ago, mom2mybugs said:

I’m a wimp and this is why I hadn’t been to Nassau before our June majesty got re-routed there.  We usually cruise end of March and I’m heading as south as possible as fast as possible!  Jane

I forgot to say in my comment that Nassau was frigid in November/December.  We almost died when we got in the water to snorkel.  Won't do that again!

I have had to wear a hooded sweatshirt in Nassau in early November before.  I am also from Florida and have to wear a jacket inside because of the frigid A/C.

You can never really tell what the weather is going to be like.  Some people can handle the cooler water and some people can't.  For a waterpark if it is open I would think that the coldest part would be being wet out in the cooler air..and if there is any kind of a breeze..woooo brrrrrr.

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 9:57 AM, ChessE4 said:

I forgot to say in my comment that Nassau was frigid in November/December.  We almost died when we got in the water to snorkel.  Won't do that again!

When we say these things we should post temperature #'s so others can make a more informed decision..to say it was frigid sounds like it could be a different feeling for different ppl.

I have been to Nassau in Jan and Feb and it was never frigid....coldest was about 70...for me...that's a beautiful day...for others that maybe too cold.

As for when it gets dark.....usually around 5pm or so during the winter mths??...usually when the ship is leaving port or the dock so that's not an issue either in any cruises I have done so far.

1 hour ago, monctonguy said:

When we say these things we should post temperature #'s so others can make a more informed decision..to say it was frigid sounds like it could be a different feeling for different ppl.

I have been to Nassau in Jan and Feb and it was never frigid....coldest was about 70...for me...that's a beautiful day...for others that maybe too cold.

As for when it gets dark.....usually around 5pm or so during the winter mths??...usually when the ship is leaving port or the dock so that's not an issue either in any cruises I have done so far.

The water temperature was very, very cold.  Like you begin to think about hypothermia.  I don't know the degrees, but let's say in the 50's in the water.  It was probably unsafe.  Outside walking around in the sun was fine. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2019 at 10:22 AM, ChessE4 said:

The water temperature was very, very cold.  Like you begin to think about hypothermia.  I don't know the degrees, but let's say in the 50's in the water.  It was probably unsafe.  Outside walking around in the sun was fine. 

The water temps are very well monitored and can have impacts on the weather, particularly tropical storms.  The water temps are never that low in the Bahamas.

Here is a chart for typical water temps.

DEAC6ED2-4BD8-4F3F-9563-ED47084810F2.jpeg

1 hour ago, ScooterScott22 said:

The water temps are very well monitored and can have impacts on the weather, particularly tropical storms.  The water temps are never that low in the Bahamas.

Here is a chart for typical water temps.

DEAC6ED2-4BD8-4F3F-9563-ED47084810F2.jpeg

Thanks for your very nice chart.  Whatever the measured temperature at the snorkel reef in Nassau in the winter, it was frigid.  Many on the tour complained.  So as a service to others, I will re-state that it may be uncomfortable for some.  I have been in cold mountain water, and this was that cold.  So my recommendation would be to avoid getting too far from shore if you are going to be totally immersed in the sea at that time of year (TG to New Year's).  If you have snorkeled there at that time of year, feel free to describe your experience so that others may benefit.  Have a nice cruise.

I SNUBA'd off the panhandle of Florida once in early April when the air temp was in the 70's but I have no idea what the water temp was.  I just remember being very grateful for the wetsuit supplied on the boat.  It made a huge difference in how my un-suited legs felt going down the boat's ladder into the water vs. how my internal organs stayed happy once I was fully submerged. ?

• 1 year later...

we were at CocoCay In January 2020.  The outside temperature was nice at around 80 degrees. However the pool was c-c-c-cold.  Some sort of solar heating of the pool is needed during the coldest winter months. Otherwise, it is NOT a "fun day at CocoCay". I keep asking the cruise line if pool heating is in the works but I can't get an answer.  

Water comfort level is pretty subjective. 

Any of us from northern climates will embrace the temperatures in Florida, Bahamas, Caribbean, etc during the winter months. 

Last January when we left Maine for our cruise it was well below 0* F.   We got a kick out of the people in Fort Lauderdale who were bundled up when we walked out of the airport.  

I got some pretty weird looks using the outdoor pool at the hotel, too.